tie rods make noise but truck handles well

Status
Not open for further replies.
My inner and outer tie rods will once in a while make a clunk sound when I turn the wheel somewhat sharply to make a turn. And also once in a while they'll make a light clunk noise when going over sharp and deep bump.

The vehicle still handles well though, so I was just wondering if the vehicle will start to wander or feel loose before I need to replace the parts. I'm hoping to keep this repair from being done for at least until after the holidays.

Are you positive it is the tie rods? Check the sway bar end links. The bolts may have loosened enough for the sway bar to make noise. A loose sway bar may be too subtle for you to notice while driving the vehicle.

You may not be able to feel much from the driver's seat. You need to check for play at the tie rods themselves.

I agree with ranger....check the sway bar links. My Accord is making the same noises over bumps and if it anything like it was on my HHR and a Vue that I used to own, it's the sway bar links. Cars handle fine, just an irritating rattle. I don't think it is too big of a job, just can be a hassle getting them off sometimes

Goose

It's not the sway bar links, those just recently got replaced.

My main concern is really if it's still safe to drive around with the vehicle like this. Like I said she handles fine, just making noise. Kind of like my back in the morning I guess. Lol

get down there with a pry bar and start shaking stuff around. check youtube for ericthecarguy, he has some good tutorial videos on how to do this.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
It's not the sway bar links, those just recently got replaced.

My main concern is really if it's still safe to drive around with the vehicle like this. Like I said she handles fine, just making noise. Kind of like my back in the morning I guess. Lol

You won't know if they are safe or not until you check the amount of play at the tie rods themselves. How the vehicle handles while driven isn't really a good indication of the condition of the suspension.

Even if you posted a video it would be impossible to tell how long you have until the tie rods are at risk of actually breaking. If there is little or no play in the tie rod ends, you may have thousands of miles. If there is a lot of play, you're at risk of it snapping at any time.

In the meantime, avoid rough roads, curbs, or anything else that will stress the steering. There are videos on YouTube of trucks snapping tie rod ends like twigs from binding up the front wheels or hitting rocks too hard off road.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll just change them out (inners and outers) and have peace of mind.

Better to be safe than sorry I'm thinking on this one.

The inner's usually don't go. I would check them but most times it is the out TRE's that are the problem. They are fairly easy to DIY if you have access to a lift. On my RWD Chevy Impala, the Moog TRE are only 19.99 each. Add an alignment and that's it.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
My inner and outer tie rods will once in a while make a clunk sound when I turn the wheel somewhat sharply to make a turn. And also once in a while they'll make a light clunk noise when going over sharp and deep bump.

The vehicle still handles well though, so I was just wondering if the vehicle will start to wander or feel loose before I need to replace the parts. I'm hoping to keep this repair from being done for at least until after the holidays.

I'm getting old and often miss important information....

What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? Make/model/year/mileage? How long have you owned it and when did this noise begin to appear?

Who knows what the clunk that you hear is?

To test tie rods, follow this easy peezy test:
With the car on the ground and OFF, have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth 1-2" while you look for parts that should move that aren't. Loose tie rod ends are extremely easy to spot with this test. You'll see the rod move, but the tire/wheel isn't. You can see the tie rod is the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back