Oil request - 1998 F150 4.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i've read A LOT of posts here and boy is it over load on information. I was hoping you guys can request oil for me to include weights and brands. Part is my confusion or uncertainty is that my truck is basically used for hunting and hauling (on occasion). So it is not used much. i probably average < 5000 miles a year on it.

My ride:
1998 Ford F150 4.6L
3" lift,bigger tired (forget size), dual exhaust, CIA, headers

I plan on putting motorcraft 5w-20 blend with motorcraft filter. they are sitting int he garage.

is this good? is there better? what OCI do you guys recommend with the little use that i get?

Last edited:
Motorcraft oil is actually good stuff for the price you'll pay. The motor is indeed spec'd for the 5w20 so you should be fine. Wait until it's on sale as part of a "5 qt + filter" deal.

Otherwise I would tell you to grab whatever 5w20 syn or syn-blend is on sale at the time you need to change it.

I would change it once a year. Also, be sure to get it out on the highway once in a while to help bring the oil up to temp and burn off any moisture/contaminants that accumulate in the sump.

As you can see in my sig I use Motocraft 5W20 in my wifes Caravan, have been doing do since new

The easy choice here is the filter, go Motorcraft but for the oil, especially since you mentioned hauling I would go with Mobil 1. I used Mobil 1 5W30 and a Motorcraft filter on my 99 Mustang 4.6, the last few years were annual OCI's

For one oil change a year we are not talking much more money, 5W30 I think is the recommended weight and will work well for your needs

What you have there is an engine that will run for hundreds of thousands of miles on pretty much any slippery substance you can pour in the crankcase, so don't kill yourself over what oil to use.

Can't go wrong with the Motorcraft, it's great oil. Many people here use it in non-Ford vehicles because it's a great oil at a pretty good price. I'm running Valvoline Maxlife in my 5.4, seems to be very happy. Otherwise, that engine will run practically forever on any decent dino oil. Just pick up whatever brand you can find on sale. Driving less than 5K miles a year, just change it once a year.

I'm sure some will suggest expensive synthetics like M1 or Amsoil, but IMO it would be a waste of money in a 4.6 unless you put on a lot of miles and wanted to extend your OCI.

Last edited:
I've got a '97 F250 with the 5.4/auto. I think you combination is good and will last a long time. You can't go wrong with the Motorcraft filter.

I bumped up to RP 5W-30 for my 2000 5.4L. been almost 2 years and engine is running as good as ever... I actually had a friend this spring say "when did you replace the engine??" since I got away from the 5W-20, alot of problems went away... My only visit to a dealer now is a spirited ride by giving them the #1 symbol...
I may go for a longer OCI after reading stuff here.

Originally Posted By: zues50
So 5w30 would be better for my truck?

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter much. I believe the original spec for your 98 would have been 5W-30, but Ford later back spec'd all the modular engines (4.6, 5.4, and the 6.8 V-10) to 5W-20. These engines are really not that sensitive to viscosity. They could run anything from 0W-20 to 20W-50 and still run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I've seen these engines in Crown Vics that endured years of abuse as squad cars and then taxi cabs, then sold to the public with over 500K miles on the original engine and still running strong. We have several of them in vans at my work still running strong with 300-400K on them. It's not unheard of for them to last a million miles.

http://www.millionmilevan.com/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1198522-2006-e-250-with-one-million-miles.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Use Amsoil OE or XL, save money and keep your engine clean.

Of course you would say that.
laugh.gif

Amsoil is certainly a great product, but like I said previously, I don't think an expensive synthetic makes sense here. We're talking about a vehicle that gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. Pick up any good dino oil on sale and a Motorcraft filter, and you're looking at a $20 oil change once a year. You'd be looking at $50+ for an Amsoil oil change, so you'd have to extend the OCI to 2 1/2 years just to break even on the cost. Totally different story if this were a vehicle that was driven 20K miles a year.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

laugh.gif

Amsoil is certainly a great product, but like I said previously, I don't think an expensive synthetic makes sense here. We're talking about a vehicle that gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. Pick up any good dino oil on sale and a Motorcraft filter, and you're looking at a $20 oil change once a year. You'd be looking at $50+ for an Amsoil oil change, so you'd have to extend the OCI to 2 1/2 years just to break even on the cost. Totally different story if this were a vehicle that was driven 20K miles a year.

Huh? OE is $4.70/qt, XL is $5.85/qt. Put the XL in, change the oil once a year with a Motorcraft filter and don't look back.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

laugh.gif

Huh? OE is $4.70/qt, XL is $5.85/qt. Put the XL in, change the oil once a year with a Motorcraft filter and don't look back.

Following the link in your signature, it shows $6.10 per quart for OE, so $36.60 for 6 quarts, plus shipping, plus a filter is going to put you right near $50.

Maybe the $4.70 is preferred customer pricing, but you have to pay another $20/year to get that pricing, correct?

In no way am I putting down Amsoil products, I just don't think it makes sense in this situation.

Yes, that's full retail price. No need to pay retail for Amsoil when you can get PC (Preferred Customer) price and I gladly refund the $10 for six months or $20 for the year when people ask and sign up through me.

Ok, that's not too bad then. I'll have to keep that in mind since there may be a few things I need soon, mainly 2 stroke oil for the sleds.

Originally Posted By: zues50
So 5w30 would be better for my truck?

Some will say yes, but personally i prefer 5w20. I have 3 modular ford trucks, one is a 97 4.6l and it has 287k miles on it, hard miles, driven by teenage boys the first 35k were on 5w30 and the rest have been on 5w20 usually motorcraft and recently mobil super which is less than 3 bucks a qt at walmart. Like someone else said these engine run forever and ever. whatever brand of oil you choose will do the job. 5w20 is my preference, but 5w30 will serve you well also. good luck

I've used everything from rotella 15w-40 to 5w-40 euro spec royal purple,5w-30 Amsoil in my mustang and honestly the 2v 4.6 doesn't care what oil you put in it.
I was never sold on the xw-20 oils until recently. I bought a hemi with 245000 kms on it. Truck runs absolutely fantastic. So if you don't tend to red-line the truck I think any 20 or 30 grade is fine. Any thicker may cost you fuel economy.

I suggest you try both and see which the engine "prefers". My 2Vs and 4Vs get 0W-30/5W-30, 3Vs with their 30% higher volume oil pumps are a different animal.

Sorry to bring up the 5W-30... Dealer was putting the 20 in... I was sawing thru oil, lotta smoke, lotta engine noise... Found a deal on RP 5W-30, got some beer and did it my self. The 5.4 responded well, quiet, no smoke in a long time. using very little oil. Those are just my results. Can't really say if it was the RP, the 5W-30 or just me doing it myself. Worked for me and will keep doing it. I use my truck for fun ridin' and haulin' the boat. stored in the winter. I don't mind spending more on an oil change, cause a newer truck is pricey...
Your truck is 15 years old... Go for a pricey syn(shop around for a deal) post your results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back