Do HID bulbs go dim with age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 04 Saab 9-5 has OEM Xenon lighting. It takes D1S bulbs. I replaced the original 4 years ago when they started to flicker.
Now the replacements seem dim to me. It's my wife's DD so I don't drive it all the time...but it sure seems like the lights arn't what they used to be.

Is it time for new bulbs? Any advice on bulbs or the best place to get them? Seems like a lot of cheap bulbs from China available. Are any of these OK?

HIDs change color over time, which in effect reduces their usable light output.

I would stick with name brands such as Philips or Sylvania.

I would imagine they would.There is gas in the bulb with an "arc" effect going on.I guess the gas would deplete and make things dimmer.

All bulbs dim over time. Lot of times the replacements arent as good as the OEM. I am unsure who produces the Saab Xenons but it is worth finding out so you can replace with the OEM.

They color shift and dim, yes. But even after 2500 hours, an HID capsule is still putting out about 2400 lumens (basically twice what a normal halogen capsule does).

This is why you replace them in pairs -- to get color and brightness matches.

Stick with Osram-Sylvania or Philips, as these are the two big OEMs in the US.

Also, projector assemblies tend to accumulate an internal film on the reflector and lens.

In the case of my Jaguar, the reflector does not reflect well anymore. At one point, when new, I'm sure it was like a mirror. Now, it looks like galvanized sheet metal. Dull and gray.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Could it be the ballast?

Generally when the electronics have problems, the bulbs will flicker or just stop working.

Easiest way to test it is to swap capsules from L to R and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back