Thinking of buying a CZ 85/ 85 Combat

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I'm thinking of getting one (probably the Combat) largely due to the good press it gets here. I'd opt for the 75, but since I'm a lefty, the 85 makes more sense.

The only problem is neither of the local gun shops have them (or a 75) and I'd really like to know how it will fit in my hand.

For those who have them, does it compare to the feel of a 1911?

I have a CZ75 and put on a Hogue rubber grip that has the finger grooves. It fits my hand a lot better than the blocky plastic pistols. It is a great shooting pistol.

They fit the hand better than a 1911 in my honest opinion. The design is over half a century ahead of the edwardian era 1911. But yeah as other metnioned, they basically took a look at John Browning's other great pistol, the GP35/HP and said "we can do that better".

IF you can get your hands on a Tanfoglio/EAA Witness the CZ is pretty close to that albeit the cz is a little slimmer.

Last edited:
I agree with the above comments. I am left handed and I have a 75D-compact PCR. Any decocker CZ works fine for LH use. I also bought mine sight-unseen based on the fact that I couldn't find anyone who had anything bad to say about CZ. It fits my hand like it was made for me. CZ Custom in Arizona is great to work with.

If you want a range / target / competition gun the 85 is excellent. If you are looking for CCW it's pretty large. I use my PCR as a range gun - only carry it to and from. I could carry it more but I have better (smaller) choices for carry.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Love my CZ85 Combat! Not much like a 1911...more like a Browning HP

Of course I love my HP too!!

I think the CZ pistols are modeled after the High Power, but they feel much better. The HP doesn't feel good in my hands. I can't remember what was wrong or why I didn't like it. The HK USP civilian also doesn't fit my hand, but the HK USP Tactical fits perfect. Yes the tactical (with threaded barrel) has a different frame than the civilian model.

It is interesting that they would put adjustable rear sights on a "combat" model.

CZ's are my favorite handgun. I wish I had more of them. Can't go wrong with a CZ, imo.

Edit: well, maybe Beretta is my favorite. Still, can't go wrong with a CZ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
CZ's are my favorite handgun. I wish I had more of them. Can't go wrong with a CZ, imo.

Edit: well, maybe Beretta is my favorite. Still, can't go wrong with a CZ.

I had one bad CZ. But it was the CZ40B which was a red headed step child of the Colt and CZ collaboration. Had the slide lock engage with many rounds still in the mag. Tried several "fixes" and never got it to run 100 percent with anything but ultra hot loads and by replacing the recoil spring, mag spring, and the slide stop lever spring. Eventually sold it. But other than that model, I never hear of any complaints.

I wouldn't bother going through the pain in trying to find a cz 85. Just get a regular (or any model really) CZ-75 from where ever and then order an ambidextrous safety from czcustom.com. The ambi safety needs no fitting and virtually no tools to install. This can be done to almost all cz-75 models, decockers included.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I wouldn't bother going through the pain in trying to find a cz 85. Just get a regular (or any model really) CZ-75 from where ever and then order an ambidextrous safety from czcustom.com. The ambi safety needs no fitting and virtually no tools to install. This can be done to almost all cz-75 models, decockers included.

In California we are limited to the types of pistols we can have. Every pistol being sold in California has to go through a test which costs $10,000. Each individual model has to be tested. If the only difference between one model and the other is the grips (wood vs plastic), the gun is considered a new model and needs to be tested. As you can guess, this becomes expensive to the gun manufacturers so they only submit a limited amount of guns to be tested. The CZ pistols we get here all have ambidextrous safeties. A lot of people change out them out and put in decockers. The OP could sell or trade his decocker parts on calguns. I think the CZ website has a video on how to change the parts. If not, try Youtube.

Quote:
It is interesting that they would put adjustable rear sights on a "combat" model.

All of the features look like it was set up for "limited" competitions and not heavy duty use.

I don't know if this is true, I read it earlier today. It looks like they are dropping serval models, I think they are just cutting down the finish options mostly.

List of discontinued CZ products for 2013:

01104 – CZ 75 B cal. 9mm Luger, dual tone – 10rd magazine
91104 – CZ 75 B cal. 9mm Luger, dual tone – hi cap
01105 – CZ 75 B cal. 9mm Luger, satin nickel – 10rd magazine
91105 – CZ 75 B cal. 9mm Luger, satin nickel- hi cap
01122 – CZ 75 B cal. 40 S&W, dual tone
01123 – CZ 75 B cal. 40 S&W, satin nickel
01192 – CZ 75 Compact cal. 9mm Luger, dual tone – 10rd magazines
91192 – CZ 75 Compact cal. 9mm Luger, dual tone – hi cap
01193 – CZ 75 Compact cal. 9mm Luger, satin nickel – 10rd magazines
91193 – CZ 75 Compact cal. 9mm Luger, satin nickel – hi cap
01212 – CZ 85 Combat cal. 9mm Luger – dual tone – 10rd magazines
91212 – CZ 85 Combat cal. 9mm Luger – dual tone – hi cap
01213 - CZ 85 Combat cal. 9mm Luger – satin nickel – 10rd magazines
91213 - CZ 85 Combat cal. 9mm Luger – satin nickel – hi cap
01301 – CZ 83 cal. .380 ACP, glossy blue – 10rd magazines
91301 – CZ 83 cal. .380 ACP, glossy blue – hi cap
01302 – CZ 83 cal. .380 ACP, satin nickel – 10rd magazines
91302 – CZ 83 cal. .380 ACP, satin nickel – hi cap
91305 – CZ 83 cal. 32 ACP, glossy blue
01401 – CZ 97 B cal. .45 ACP, black poly – will be replaced by upgraded version with aluminum grips and FO front sight 01411
01402 – CZ 97 B cal. .45 ACP, glossy blue – will be replaced by upgraded version with aluminum grips and FO front sight 01412
01406 – CZ 97 BD cal. .45 ACP, black poly – will be replaced by upgraded version with aluminum grips 01416
01601 – CZ 75 Kadet cal. 22 LR, black poly
01709 – CZ 75 Shadow T-SA cal. 9mm Luger by CZ Custom Shop – 10rd magazine
91709 - CZ 75 Shadow T-SA cal. 9mm Luger by CZ Custom Shop – hi cap

02008 – CZ 513 Basic cal. 22 LR
02072 – CZ 453 Varmint cal. 22 LR with single set trigger
02073 – CZ 453 Varming cal. 17 HMR with single set trigger
02076 – CZ 453 Varmint cal. 17 HMR with fluted bbl and single set trigger
02081 – CZ 453 American cal. 22 LR with single set trigger
02083 – CZ 453 American cal. 17 HMR with single set trigger
04171 – CZ 550 Medium cal. 300 WinMag Battue quarter rib, 5rd fixed magazine

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

For those who have them, does it compare to the feel of a 1911?

I forgot to answer that question.

I have a 75. It feels better than a 1911 Springfield and Glock 17. It is one of the most comfortable handguns to hold (for me). I have big hangs.

I was eyeballing the P-07 Duty in Olive Drab, but I can't get it in California. http://czusa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

Originally Posted By: Loobed

In California we are limited to the types of pistols we can have. Every pistol being sold in California has to go through a test which costs $10,000. Each individual model has to be tested. If the only difference between one model and the other is the grips (wood vs plastic), the gun is considered a new model and needs to be tested. As you can guess, this becomes expensive to the gun manufacturers so they only submit a limited amount of guns to be tested. The CZ pistols we get here all have ambidextrous safeties. A lot of people change out them out and put in decockers. The OP could sell or trade his decocker parts on calguns. I think the CZ website has a video on how to change the parts. If not, try Youtube.

One of the many reasons you couldn't pay me enough to live in Kalifornia! The OP doesn't look like he is from Kali either.
For further clarification, you can not switch between a de-cocker and a safety (or vice versa) on any of the cz pistols except for the p-07. The frames are cut differently and the parts will not interchange. You can only get different sizes and ambi / non-ambi versions and switch them out between themselves. The p-07 comes with the parts to switch from safety to de-cocker but you are stuck with the stock size and configuration.

My CZ75 Shadow Custom (SP01) feels a lot like a 1911 to me. The difference is the trigger of course, the reach for the CZ is much more than that on a 1911 for the first double action pull. Follow up shots are just like a 1911, it is amazing. The CZ and 1911 are both very narrow pistols as you probably know. I like them both.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
They fit the hand better than a 1911 in my honest opinion. The design is over half a century ahead of the edwardian era 1911. But yeah as other metnioned, they basically took a look at John Browning's other great pistol, the GP35/HP and said "we can do that better".

IF you can get your hands on a Tanfoglio/EAA Witness the CZ is pretty close to that albeit the cz is a little slimmer.

That's part of the problem. While I'm not new to firearms and their use (and safety) I am new to owning them. And since I know of relatively few people that own pistols (know lots of people with various long guns) the models you listed may as well be found on Mars.

Right now the only hand guns that I am reasonably familiar with are the various 1911's and the poly pistols. Since I do know that the CZ is a full sized steel gun, I was hoping there was some sort of comparison to be made with the 1911. Maybe like wider, narrower? Similar grip angle? Weight?

Originally Posted By: AITG
I agree with the above comments. I am left handed and I have a 75D-compact PCR. Any decocker CZ works fine for LH use. I also bought mine sight-unseen based on the fact that I couldn't find anyone who had anything bad to say about CZ. It fits my hand like it was made for me. CZ Custom in Arizona is great to work with.

If you want a range / target / competition gun the 85 is excellent. If you are looking for CCW it's pretty large. I use my PCR as a range gun - only carry it to and from. I could carry it more but I have better (smaller) choices for carry.

How does adding the decocker feature make it suitable for us lefties?

The primary reason for selecting the 85 combat is for ambidextrous safety and no firing pin block. If you (or anybody) thinks that not having a firing pin block is going to be that advantageous in terms of trigger "feel" and ease of dis-assembly, then I'll opt for something simpler and less expensive.

The local gun guy says he could have one in 3 days, do you think that he is mistaken? I will say that I don't think that he deals much in them though.

I went to the custom shop and found a few different ambi safeties for the 75... Do you know the differences?

Thank you guys for your comments and input. Please keep them coming!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The primary reason for selecting the 85 combat is for ambidextrous safety and no firing pin block. If you (or anybody) thinks that not having a firing pin block is going to be that advantageous in terms of trigger "feel" and ease of dis-assembly, then I'll opt for something simpler and less expensive.

The local gun guy says he could have one in 3 days, do you think that he is mistaken? I will say that I don't think that he deals much in them though.

I went to the custom shop and found a few different ambi safeties for the 75... Do you know the differences?

Thank you guys for your comments and input. Please keep them coming!

The 85 combat having no firing pin block will help the trigger pull marginally (lighter), does reduce parts count and makes the slide easier to take apart. The CZ design has so many other safety features built into it that I dont think you are giving up any real safety margin either. If your local gun shop can get you an 85 combat in 3 days, go for it I guess!

The different safeties on that website all function the same way, you just have choices as to the look and size of the safety. The larger safeties being geared more toward the custom competition guns. Personally I find the stock sized safety to be good enough. I agree with the other posters here that say the cz-75 is actually better feeling in the hand than the 1911. The grip is about the same width, the angle even more natural, the balance slightly better, the bore axis lower and the safety is in a better location on the cz-75.

I know it isnt an 85 combat but here is my CZ P-01 wearing a surefire x200, just to show it off.
DSCN5141_edited.jpg

"How does adding the decocker feature make it suitable for us lefties?"

The decocker is easily operated with your support hand. In a high-stress situation, you don't want to fumble with an awkward safety at the exact time you lose fine motor skills. You don't need the decocker until the stress is over.

I also have a Sig 228 which is a decocker gun. Again, its no problem for left handed shooting.

Well, after some investigation on the CZ web site, I think I may go with the 75 in stainless steel. I've kinda wanted a SS gun and their description of it says that it's an ambi gun with rubber grips.

I've noticed that after using my Remington 1911 R1 as a cc weapon, the kydex scabbard is rubbing some of the finish off. It's not that big of a deal to me, as it's meant to be a worker and is still functionally quite sound, but I wouldn't mind avoiding it on subsequent cc guns if possible. I suspect, but am not certain that SS would hold up to the kydex better. What say the more knowledgeable people here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back