Best fuel system /fuel injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: vwGLI
Well. Happy join this topic since i'm recently searching about fuel system cleaners and would like to start trying some.

For my experiences, I put a whole bottle of Redline in my 15 gallons tank once. Then I did a 700 miles road trip, mostly hwy of course. But I didn't really notice any improvement on my car after that. I'm sure the injectors shouldn't be very healthy since the car is driven under severe condition. I know RL is proven to be great. Maybe I just didn't leave it in tank for enough time?? Maybe
confused.gif

Now, I decided to try either Techron or BG 44K for my next treatment, prefer BG a little more. It used by many dealers including mine. Some say they're the same stuff but BG just stronger...

Any idea about these two cleaners? Thanks in advance.

Honestly, in the old days Redline fuel treatment never worked for me. I do think the one these guys are talking about is a newer formula.

You also might want to give Amsoil PI a try.

How old the days are? I tried it exactly one weeks ago...

grin.gif
Kidding, I would say I didn't leave it in tank for enough.

Amsoil PI is even better bang for money. but seems not easy to find here...

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Then I did a 700 miles road trip, mostly hwy of course. But I didn't really notice any improvement on my car after that.

Maybe thats why the slight under dose works for me as well as it does. It takes me about 3-4 weeks to use a tank of gas in each of the cars.
PEA needs some time to work in the injectors, putting it in the tank before a road trip will give you the least results.

BG and Amsoil PI are both good but need time to work like anything else if your trying to clean not just maintain them.

I agree with you. But I ever heard some ppl said BG 44K can't stay in car for long. I don't know the effects.

BTW, what's the real difference between these two?

BG is claimed to have PEA, i know it did but i haven't used it in a long time. The MDS showed PEA at one time then it didn't but it was still claimed to be in there.
Who knows.

I have never heard that it cant be left in the tank for a longer time but i'm not that familiar with this BG product. It was hard to get and got expensive after dealer markup.

The difference between Redline and BG is Redline can be used constantly in small doses, it contains an anti corrosive and a UCL although in such small doses i don't know how much value that would have if any.
It does have a lube in it that helps keep the injectors from sticking.

Anything with a decent amount of PEA is going to clean and if it cant then the injectors need to come out and be cleaned.
Nothing you put in the tank will remove ethanol corrosion only prevent it. Redline is very good at doing this.

Ethanol corrosion is an issue that is a big concern today and it will only get worse if the % of ethanol increases.
Older types of injectors that use pintles are more susceptible to this corrosion but none appear totally immune.

An injector that uses pintles can really benefit from using something to keep the corrosion away on a regular basis, other types eg ball and disc types may be fine with a once every 3K solution.
Again a lot depends on the climate, high humidity areas are more prone than areas like the south west.

From Bosch..
Quote:
The main causes of fuel injector wear or failure is contamination of the fuel system and corrosion due to moisture in the fuel. Injector performance can be affected by particles as little as 10 microns (0.01mm).

The biggest problem with in tank and through the fuel rail type cleaning solutions is sometimes they can cause more problems than you have already.
If there is dirt or rust anywhere in the system before the injectors it may be pushed into the injectors individual filters.
This is more common in older cars and cars from the salt belt.

You cant push this through and you really wouldn't want to but it does require removal to change.
This happens seldom but it does, i had a Honda set here just last week with this exact problem, the dirty filter had reduced the flow by over 40%.

There are some cleaner which are extremely strong and have a warning on them to not leave in the gas tank for a long time. Unfortunately, the warning does not define the so called "long time". Also there is no specific reason given as to why except warning about causing damage to fuel system. The cleaner did come in a metal can (Toyota FI cleaner, sold at dealer)

Quote:
The cleaner did come in a metal can

So they are probably not worried about metal components.
Plastic parts in this system are solvent resistant so that leaves rubber.

This is also a concern of car makes with the proposed 15% future ethanol use as well as its hygroscopic properties.
Most injectors any system seals today use Viton instead of Nitril that was used years ago.
Just a guess but i many be easier to use this disclaimer than to write something like..

"if your car is x years old it might have inferior sealing materials, but if your car has Viton seals then it should be okay".
Naw blanket statement and be done wth it i think.

I used the new STP cleaner on our minivan and it seemed like the van runs better right now.. last time i used amsoil PI.. i dont think i felt anything different.. weird!

Wish Redline made smaller bottles for their S1 ...15oz is big!

Would using 1 bottle (15oz) of Redline S1 every 5000k KM be a bit overkil for one tank of gas for a regular car/minivan which is around 15-20 gallons?

I've used both Redline & Amsoil PI in multiple vehicles and have received comparable results no matter which I used.

PC price on the Amsoil is about $2 cheaper, so it's the better deal!
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
ould using 1 bottle (15oz) of Redline S1 every 5000k KM be a bit overkil for one tank of gas for a regular car/minivan which is around 15-20 gallons?

No not at all. Every 3K miles is good so its in the same range.

@Trav so 1 bottle of redline s1 every 3k miles/5k km is good? Would it be harmful if you put too much redline s1 in one tank thats around 15-20gallons??

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I've used both Redline & Amsoil PI in multiple vehicles and have received comparable results no matter which I used.

thumbsup2.gif

where did you buy amsoil pi plz?

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Would using 1 bottle (15oz) of Redline S1 every 5000k KM be a bit overkil for one tank of gas for a regular car/minivan which is around 15-20 gallons?

If you use top tier fuel, in particular Chevron, you may not need the Redline.

Otherwise, 5000km was the interval in the original Chevron PEA study. They also figured out the maintenance dose in that study which is why fuel with Techron should also be ok.

@MarkStock i always try to fill up in Chevron.. if not i would try to find shell
smile.gif
Those are only 2 gas stations i want to go to as much as possible..

So what can i use instead of Redline? STP, Lucas?

thumbsup2.gif

You can buy it from a local distributor or better yet, contact Pablo here; he'll get it shipped right to your door.

thumbsup2.gif

You can buy it from a local distributor or better yet, contact Pablo here; he'll get it shipped right to your door.

Shoot me an email or PM anytime. Spread the word if you hang out on BITOG, purchasing from a site sponsor makes sense as proceeds support the site.

Quote:
Trav so 1 bottle of redline s1 every 3k miles/5k km is good?

Yes its fine, no probems

Quote:
Would it be harmful if you put too much redline s1 in one tank thats around 15-20gallons??

Also no problem i wouldn't put a full bottle in a 10 gal tank but 15 is okay. The higher concentration of PEA in the fuel the better (within reason) and will provide the best cleaning action.

Quote:
Trav so 1 bottle of redline s1 every 3k miles/5k km is good?

Yes its fine, no probems

Quote:
Would it be harmful if you put too much redline s1 in one tank thats around 15-20gallons??

Also no problem i wouldn't put a full bottle in a 10 gal tank but 15 is okay. The higher concentration of PEA in the fuel the better (within reason) and will provide the best cleaning action.

Thanks!
smile.gif
I guess i can just use one bottle of Redline S1 every 5k kms in a 15 and 20 gallon tank.. Hope its not gonna be too strong since one bottle of redline is supposed to treat up to 100gallons... So there's no harm if the dosage is higher? Just provides the best cleaning action?

Redline says you can use a full bottle for cleaning, the small dosing is for maintenance.
You wont have any problems.

Oh.. Full bottle for cleaning.. i would guess thats every 3k miles/5k km?

Maintenance is every time you fill up your gas?

Which one is better to do? one time clean up every 3k miles/5k km or use a small does every time you fill up?

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
dave explained to me that if you use maint. doses you would never have to use a whole bottle

But if you gonna go with maint doses.. wouldn't that be more expensive route rather than getting one bottle and use it every 3k miles/5k km?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back