Oil Pan Leak on 2010 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped off the wife's car at the local Mazda dealership today to have the oil changed with my own oil and filter and have the annual state inspection and emission test performed. I pointed out to the service manager that I thought there might be a small oil leak coming from the oil pan based on some dirt/oil I saw on the plastic cowling under the engine while I was detailing it last week. Sure enough, there is a leak (more of a seepage than a "drip drip" leak) and they are going to drop the oil pan and replace the gasket. That's a long explanation to get to this question: Is that a common repair for a car with 26K miles? I haven't owned that many cars, but among several company and personal cars (some run out to 150K+ with no problems), I've never had to replace an oil pan gasket.

In other news, I asked the service advisor about potentially using the new Mazda 0W-20 syn oil with moly for my next change and he advised against it saying that they only spec the 0W oil for 2011 and newer cars and that mine is spec'd for 5W and that if I used their oil they normally use Castrol Edge for their 5W-20. There was no reason for me to debate the guy about it, but I thought that was an interesting (if a little flawed IMO) explanation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddub
I pointed out to the service manager that I thought there might be a small oil leak coming from the oil pan based on some dirt/oil I saw on the plastic cowling under the engine while I was detailing it last week. Sure enough, there is a leak (more of a seepage than a "drip drip" leak) and they are going to drop the oil pan and replace the gasket. That's a long explanation to get to this question: Is that a common repair for a car with 26K miles?

It's not common, but it can happen.

What's more impressive to me is that they're changing it at all. I had a transmission pan seepage issue with our previous minivan, enough to wet the underside of the pan, and the dealership told me that they won't change the gasket unless it's physically dripping.

The timing was great actually. I don't know what that repair would typically cost, but I have about 30 days left on the 3 yr/36K bumper to bumper warranty, so this one is on them. This has been a trouble free car otherwise, and we both really enjoy driving it. Moving from a 1999 Avalon, the driving dynaimcs of the Mazda are much better, but the Av still would have smoked our better handling Mazda in a drag race.

All my toyotas seeped oil pretty good but not bad enough to warrant a repair in my estimation. I dont consider minor seepage requiring repair. Even the rears shocks on the rav seeped oil. Bet they will steam clean and add a cup of kerosene to the sump and then claim they replaced the gasket
smile.gif
Or not.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
All my toyotas seeped oil pretty good but not bad enough to warrant a repair in my estimation. I dont consider minor seepage requiring repair. Even the rears shocks on the rav seeped oil. Bet they will steam clean and add a cup of kerosene to the sump and then claim they replaced the gasket
smile.gif
Or not.
smile.gif

I am just back from the shop and crawled under to take a good look. It looks like he basically wiped everything down with a rag and I can see the edges of what looks like a new gasket and/or sealant where the pan meets the bottom of the block. I think I will wait a few days and take another look to see if it still looks the same.

Any leak is intolerable on a new car. Mine developed one on the oil pan also, and at 26k miles as well. Took it to the dealer not once, not twice, and each time is wasn't fixed even after a new pan the 3rd time around. Spent a weekend letting it drain really well with the pan off and fixed it myself! Take that you wankers!

Oh, most companies now do not use a REAL gasket, just sealer so you might have a DIY job on your hands and have to make a gasket for it.

Can't believe the car companies forego a gasket and risk all that warranty work!

IDIOTS!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Any leak is intolerable on a new car. Mine developed one on the oil pan also, and at 26k miles as well. Took it to the dealer not once, not twice, and each time is wasn't fixed even after a new pan the 3rd time around. Spent a weekend letting it drain really well with the pan off and fixed it myself! Take that you wankers!

Exactly what type of car was yours that sprung a leak?
Was it a Mazda 6?

BC.

Moving from a 1999 Avalon, the driving dynamics of the Mazda are much better, but the Av still would have smoked our better handling Mazda in a drag race.

Well, of course it smoked it.
You're comparing a 200 hp 214 ft-lbs 3 liter V-6 vs a 168 hp 167 ft-lbs 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Heck, the 6 is a physically bigger car, too, though both cars weigh nearly the same. You can't get a faster car with that much less power pushing the same amount of weight.

It's just silly to compare the two in a drag race.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Moving from a 1999 Avalon, the driving dynamics of the Mazda are much better, but the Av still would have smoked our better handling Mazda in a drag race.

Well, of course it smoked it.
You're comparing a 200 hp 214 ft-lbs 3 liter V-6 vs a 168 hp 167 ft-lbs 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Heck, the 6 is a physically bigger car, too, though both cars weigh nearly the same. You can't get a faster car with that much less power pushing the same amount of weight.

It's just silly to compare the two in a drag race.

BC.

More of an observation than a complaint or comparison. The Avalon was a rather conflicted car; fast in a straight line but soft in most other regards. We were not expecting the 6 to be a fast car, but rather got what we wanted in a stylish, roomy, and sporty (for its size) car. My 13 year old son thinks it is funny that mom's frumpy Avalon was actually a faster car than our zoom-zoom Mazda. I've always wanted a Ducati (probbly a Monster) BTW. I rode motocross for years but have never been brave enough to share the road with cars and SUV while on a bike. Be safe.

Don't feel like you are alone.

My mom had a 2002 Toyota Solara 2AZ-FE that developed a leak under warranty. That argument with the dealer made my blood boil. I saw many early model 2AZ-FE engine leak oil prematurely, but eventually Toyota built them right.

Oil leaks before a car turns 8 years old is rare, but it happens sometimes.

About 12 years ago, our brand new 2000 S10 Blazer ZR2 left an oil spot in the garage the first night we had it. Was back to the dealer multiple times for oil leaks and still is wet to this day. Hoses, pan gaskets, seals, intake gaskets, PCV system, you name it, all replaced under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back