Idemitsu 0W-20 GF-5 meets API SM / ILSAC GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this oil the same oil with high moly content as the Honda bottled before the SN change and maybe the new Mazda bottled oil that's been talked about?
I'm about to buy a case if so.

0w20.jpg

Probably only CATERHAM knows for sure. But if it's SM, I would buy it and a bunch more. It's really good stuff. The SN is different and who knows if it is 'better' or not. There's always the argument that SN has made some additive numbers come down, but we really don't know for sure if the SM formula was improved on overall. I was actually disappointed that the Mazda 0-20 is no longer SM. I use the new SN it in the '10 mazda 3, but the bottle says it is specifically made for the skyactiv engines, whatever that means. Either way, if you can get that stuff on closeout, do it. Where are you buying it?

Originally Posted By: JDD
Probably only CATERHAM knows for sure. But if it's SM, I would buy it and a bunch more. It's really good stuff. The SN is different and who knows if it is 'better' or not. There's always the argument that SN has made some additive numbers come down, but we really don't know for sure if the SM formula was improved on overall. I was actually disappointed that the Mazda 0-20 is no longer SM. I use the new SN it in the '10 mazda 3, but the bottle says it is specifically made for the skyactiv engines, whatever that means. Either way, if you can get that stuff on closeout, do it. Where are you buying it?

Ebay and not cheap at $84 a case shipped but I like the old SM Toyota and Honda 0w20 high moly numbers.
I read of the trinuclear moly but want the older type moly high content.
Going to email the seller and make sure it's SM like it says in the ad.
I'm panicking as I'm down to just a dozen or so qts of SM Toyota 0w20.
lol.gif

The Mazda SN has a high moly count and not bad but not the 800+ ppm of the Honda and Toyota SM.That oil may be my back up.

Subaru has Idemistu 0w20 SM for about 7 bucks a qt. A VERY thin 20 grade oil with a pretty high VI though not as high as the Toyota. I have run a couple cases of it in the Subaru and tried it in the Honda - too thin for the honda as I got mechanical knock. Saw NO improvement in long term fuel mileage compared to PP or M1. My Frankenbrew of MC-SS and QSGB 5w20 performs better at all temps and loads ( in the Honda) than the Idemitsu. But if you want try it through the winter - I would go to the Mazda dealer or the Subaru dealer and buy a few qts it there instead of buying a whole case for big $$ for nothing special.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Subaru has Idemistu 0w20 SM for about 7 bucks a qt. A VERY thin 20 grade oil with a pretty high VI though not as high as the Toyota. I have run a couple cases of it in the Subaru and tried it in the Honda - too thin for the honda as I got mechanical knock. Saw NO improvement in long term fuel mileage compared to PP or M1. My Frankenbrew of MC-SS and QSGB 5w20 performs better at all temps and loads ( in the Honda) than the Idemitsu. But if you want try it through the winter - I would go to the Mazda dealer or the Subaru dealer and buy a few qts it there instead of buying a whole case for big $$ for nothing special.

Well,so much for that purchase.
grin2.gif

Thanks for the info.
Saw two online Honda part dealers that had Part# 08798-9029 0w20 SM oil listed on their online parts site for $5.29 a qt.
I emailed and asked if that oil is still available.Waiting for an answer.

Edit.

Hi

Thanks for contacting BernardiParts.com customer service.
My name is Nathan and it will be my pleasure in assisting you today.
This part number 08798-9029 you are inquiring about is no longer available. It has been discontinued for a few years now.

Regards,
Nathan

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this.
The oil is either SM GF-4 or SN GF-5.
If it's the SM oil then it's the high moly (600 ppm) 197 VI oil.
If it's the SN oil, then it's likely the Subaru version; namely, no moly and a 169 VI.

At $84/12qt case you're better off just buying the Mazda GF-5 0W-20 which if anything, has an even slightly higher moly count and of course the 221 VI. The price is about the same.

Subaru has Idemistu 0w20 SM for about 7 bucks a qt. A VERY thin 20 grade oil with a pretty high VI though not as high as the Toyota. I have run a couple cases of it in the Subaru and tried it in the Honda - too thin for the honda as I got mechanical knock.

I'm not sure why you're referring to the Idemitsu made Subaru SM 0W-20 as being a "VERY thin 20 grade".
This is the same oil that Honda/Acura Canada is still using and that I've used in an couple of vehicles.
It is definitely heavier than the Toyota 0W-20, both on start-up and at operating temp's, which is consistent with it's lower VI.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Subaru has Idemistu 0w20 SM for about 7 bucks a qt. A VERY thin 20 grade oil with a pretty high VI though not as high as the Toyota. I have run a couple cases of it in the Subaru and tried it in the Honda - too thin for the honda as I got mechanical knock.

I'm not sure why you're referring to the Idemitsu made Subaru SM 0W-20 as being a "VERY thin 20 grade".
This is the same oil that Honda/Acura Canada is still using and that I've used in an couple of vehicles.
It is definitely heavier than the Toyota 0W-20, both on start-up and at operating temp's, which is consistent with it's lower VI.

The Mazda GF-5 0W-20 may be the way to go.
I'm curious,though.
Is that Idemistu 0w20 the same Honda bottled SM 08798-9029?

Colt if you asked me that question a year ago I'd know the answer off the top of my head. But if it is SM GF-4 oil it should be the same as the Idemitsu made Honda USA SM 0W-20 oil.
About a year ago I started a thread on all the various Idemitsu 0W-20 and 5W-30 oils, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Colt if you asked me that question a year ago I'd know the answer off the top of my head. But if it is SM GF-4 oil it should be the same as the Idemitsu made Honda USA SM 0W-20 oil.
About a year ago I started a thread on all the various Idemitsu 0W-20 and 5W-30 oils, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

The ad says 0W-20 GF-5 meets API SM / ILSAC GF-5 requirements.

Then shows
donut_sn_small.gif

So probably not.
Thanks,Caterham.

Open Road Mazda in East Brunswick has the Mazda labelled, high moly, GF-5, 221 VI oil right on their parts department shelves, if you are anywhere near them.

They are the ONLY place in the state (or even eastern Pa.) I've found with it in stock.

Online is the only other place I've seen it, and for ~ $2.00 less a quart than the dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back