Grease for tie rod ends, ball joints,shifter pivot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for the best grease I can fill some new ball joints and tie rod ends? I was looking into schaeffers #238 or #274. I assume good moly content would be a great thing to use here. I used Amsoil and wasnt much impressed. It bleeds alot. what do you guys use/suggest?

Also looking for a great grease for a shift lever pivot. White lithium like lubriplate? I have some of that. Something better I could use?

I still have a way to go to learn what Im really looking for in a grease/oil in different applications. I have this complex where I have to research to the internets end for the best possible solution to what Im looking for. Makes things take..a while.

Mopar Multi Mileage lube has been around since the 60s.Its long fiber and known to be long lasting.

schaeffers #238
thumbsup2.gif

Schaeffers is probably the best product you'll find.
Problem is availability, which is why I always use Valvoline Synthetic w/ moly instead.

A grease with moly would be a good choice for the front suspension components. A calcium or aluminum complex thickener will resist water much better than lithium complex. As you have discovered, some of the finest greases are not easy to find in small quantities. The Schaeffer's grease you mentioned would be a good choice if you can get a small quantity for a reasonable cost. Texas Refinery's 880 Crown & Chassis is another good performer, and they also offer it with moly...but the 50 tube case size probably isn't what you are looking for.

Do you have a Caterpillar dealership nearby? Their Desert Gold Grease is very good. If you only need a tube or two, the dealership markup probably won't be a deal breaker.

So I can get the desert gold locally. I like the #238 because it has graphite and teflon as well. Then, the desert gold has more pao and the tds looks better, but man it is thick.

What should I use for the shift lever ball? Its a metal ball in a hard plastic housing. Silicone, teflon, white lithium?

Quote:
What should I use for the shift lever ball? Its a metal ball in a hard plastic housing. Silicone, teflon, white lithium?

For a manual transmission? The ball on mine is lubricated by the trans oil.

Well I got a tube of both 238 and cat desert gold. I wanted to check them out, as they seem very popular for my application.

I think I got an old tube of 238. I bought it online and got the cat local.

Ive never seen a Scheaffers grease before, but this has a consistency like bubble gum. It looks like it was stored with the the cap side down and the cardboard tube is a bit saturated. There was a small amount of oil in the cap when I removed it. Smells horrid lol..

The cat desert gold on the other hand.. smooth as butter. The TDS show this to be a much thicker grease but the 238 seems thicker... At least this tube.

So does this sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back