07 Honda Odessey power steering pump issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step mom's Honda mini van has a groan/moan in the mornings "cold" from the power steering pump. It is full of HONDA power steering fluid. It gets turkey based every 6 months. When it does this, with the cap off you can see foam and air bubbles. It has no leaks. The van has 94k ?? miles. Dad bought it new.
What is going on?
Dusty

The pump on those are far from being a fine unit. The one on our 2006 (bought new) didn't make it through the first six months of ownership. Has it ever been replaced before? I believe that Honda extended the warranty on those. May want to check on Odyssey forums or the dealer for more details.

No, it is factory pump. does it help to run atf in them? Just thinking out loud here?

Had the recall (or TSB?) done to our 2008 Odyssey LX years ago. They replaced the PS fluid reservoir and suction hose to the pump. This eliminated all the whining from the pump, but did nothing for the binding (or lack of power steering) you get during foot off the gas, parking lot maneuvers. It can be a real bear.

Of course the dealer "cannot duplicate concern", but I'm sure they'll have no problem doing so once I'm beyond 5yr/60Kmi.

I guess the theory is/was; The suction hose from the reservoir to pump can collapse and starve the pump, causing the whine. Also- the factory reservoir on effected models causes fluid starvation.

Joel

Last edited:
IIRC there is an O ring on the pump suction that should fix this.

I know the o-ring on the pressure outlet at the pump is often faulty, causing these symptoms. I just replaced one for my neighbor. It cost me like .60 or .80 cents.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I know the o-ring on the pressure outlet at the pump is often faulty, causing these symptoms. I just replaced one for my neighbor. It cost me like .60 or .80 cents.

Was that for the whine/hiss/buzz or for a binding issue?

I get how a bad suction side O-ring can cause noise from sucking in air.

Mine is silent, just binds up at times at near idle speed maneuvers. Frustrating because it doesn't do it all the time. It's done it off/on since the van was new.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK

Mine is silent, just binds up at times at near idle speed maneuvers. Frustrating because it doesn't do it all the time. It's done it off/on since the van was new.

Joel

You have a separate issue here. Either rack is binding, or insufficient pump pressure (possibly due to pressure switch/poor belt tension/worn pump). Could be other things as well but those are the two things that stick out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattd
Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

You have a separate issue here. Either rack is binding, or insufficient pump pressure (possibly due to pressure switch/poor belt tension/worn pump). Could be other things as well but those are the two things that stick out.

Agreed.

The o-ring fixes the typical air in the lines whine, and I don't get it either... I wouldn't have until it happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back