Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60 vs Remington Model 597

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, looking to make my first gun purchase and I want it to be a .22. I have only shot shotguns before, but I want my first gun to be a rifle so I can practice aiming. That and .22 ammo is cheap.

I am deciding between the 3 guns in the title. Ruger 10/22, Marlin Model 60, and the Remington Model 597.

Any advice or input on any of the guns? You guys are always helpful, any help is appreciated.

I like my Marlin 60. Its a pretty accurate gun once the scopw is dialed in. Also with the 60 you have a tube mag, some see this as a down fall but I like it in the fact that you always have a mag when you have the rifle. I believe it hold 14rds. The 10/22 has a lot of "after market" support.

Last edited:
My buddy has a 10/22 and the cool thing about those is that there's an endless supply of aftermarket parts for them. I don't care for that gun very much out of the box and people spend a lot of money on them and they only seem marginal improvements.

The Marlin 60 uses a tube fed magazine which means you can't switch magazines and loading is somewhat cumbersome.

I have the Remington 597 and I really like it. It's quite accurate out of the box (for my uses anyways, I'm no sharpsooter!). There are starting to be more aftermarket parts available for it. I don't have any complaints with how it works out of the box so I don't feel the need to accessorize it with those parts anyways. It works with most ammo I've thrown at it with few misfires with the exception being the Winchester bulk 22lr ammo which just seems to be extremely poor quality ammunition.

I have an old Marlin 60. It is tube fed. The Ruger and Remington are magazine fed. I think the tube feed is easier to load.

If you want a magazine fed Marlin look at the 795. You can sometimes find it for $130.

I also have a 10/22. There are more accessories for the 10/22 than any other 22 rifle. You can get a 50 round magazine for the 10/22. I do not know the max size for the other rifles, but I think a 30 round magazine can be purchased for the Remington.

You may also want to look at the CZ 512 (expensive). http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/

When I go out in the woods, I usually take the Marlin 60 unless I feel like playing tactifool lunatic; then I take the 10/22. My 10/22 has a folding stock and 2 50 round magazines. I think the 10/22 is easier to clean. I have lost parts for my marlin 60 when I took it apart. Springs go BOOOOOOOOYYYYYYIIIING, and then you hear a sound like a pinball machine in the distance, and your part is gone forever, or at least until the vacuum cleaner finds it and bends it all to [censored].

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either the 10/22 or the 597.

The 597 is a rugged gun but the magazines sometimes jam, there is an updated magazine but I've had them jam as well, could be the ammo. As mentioned, it is accurate and I like the stock ramp sights. They used to be inexpensive, I got mine for around $100 on sale but that was about years ago, don't know what they go for these days.

The 10/22 never jams but I don't care for the stock iron sights so I put a scope on it and left the 597 stock. Build quality was impeccable but this was 10 years ago. Ruger is cranking out guns as fast as they can these days to keep up with demand so I wouldn't be surprized if build quality has suffered.

I've got a 10/22 and a Model 60.

The 10/22 feels like you're holding a 2x4. I much prefer the feel of the Model 60.

I'm not into "tacticool" so a lot of the aftermarket goodies for the 10/22 don't interest me.

I have never cared for 10/22s, not that there is really anything wrong with them and they do have a large aftermarket. I have a Remington 552, it was my first rifle and I really like it. I never cared much for Marlins either, untill my dad gave me his dad's old model 25, it is a bolt action and only has a 7 round magazine, but it is a lot of fun to shoot. My dad has a old Marlin model 35 that is a blast to shoot. I have never shot a 597, I thought about buying one at one time.

What I always wanted was a Kimber varment model, but it looks like Kimber isn't making rimfires anymore.

In my experience the Marlin or Remington will be more accurate than the standard Ruger on average. The Ruger outshines the others in reliablity. The Model 60 is fairly reliable if cleaned every 250 rounds or so. Residue builds up under and around the extractor and empty cases fail to eject. As has been said, the 597 is reliable if the magazine is reliable.

Mossberg 702, hands down. Factory 25 rd mags, not aftermarket junk, accurate as all get out, and...$107 at Wally World too! Threw a 4x32 scope on mine and was able to throw 7 consecutive rds through the same hole at 50yds. Amazing deal. Rugers are getting too overpriced, I would consider a Marlin 60 or 795 if you could find one used for around $100. Dunhams sells them for $139 all day long though too if you MUST have new. You just missed the Ruger's for $179 at ****'s for BF.

Don't know much about the 597 but have many rounds down range with both the Model 60 and 10/22.

Model 60 is more accurate. 10/22 has more "goodies" to spend $$.

Model 60 is harder to clean when it comes time to take apart. Model 60 goes longer (in my findings over 2 weapons) between cleanings compared to many 10/22.

Both are very good weapons. I like the tube fed guns and they are VERY easy to reload if you have the equipment. If you bend a tube you have a hard to load single shot till you fix or replace the tube.

You really need to find a place/friend/club that has both and let you put a few hundred rounds through each and then you will know what you want. Maybe both!

Can't have enough .22lr weapons IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Take care and be safe. Bill

I own both a Marlin and the ruger and have shot the Remington a few hundred times (my brother-in-law owns one). No way you can go wrong with any of the three. If you can, handle all 3 rifles and see what feels the best. Also, depending on what you are buying it for, the Marlin with it being tube fed will take longer to load once it's empty. With my ruger I have about 5 ten shot mags and a 50 round mag as well so if I empty one another just pops in. Something to think about. But as far as reliability with the 3 they are all about the same.

With tube fed you can make your own speedloader out of a suitable PVC pipe. Pull rod out, put pipe over, pull some sort of pin (hopefully with everything lined up right!).

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Out of your 3 choices I would pick the 10/22 mostly for parts / tech support availability.

That said as someone who has owned a few 10/22's some 20 odd years ago I find the fit and finish on the new ones sorely disappointing.

I agree - the fit and finish on the new 10/22s leave a lot to be desired. But in reality you can't go wrong with any of the 3 you have in mind. If you expect to modify or accessorize, go with the 10/22. If not, buy the one that feels the most comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back