Narva RangePower+50 Ultra High Output 60/55w H4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little late for advice because I ordered these already for the wife's CR-V.The CR-V's light output isn't great.
Just curious.Anyone try these?

Daniel Stern,the so called lighting guru has these on his site.
I did buy them Candlepower.com at a lower cost.
I understand that these brighter bulbs burn out faster but don't mind doing a yearly change for better light output.

Narva is a good brand. 60/55 is a stock wattage, so you won't melt fixtures or wiring. Performance will likely be better than stock (although you don't say what manufacturer the previous bulbs were), but I don't know if it'll be strikingly noticeable or not. Have you polished the lamp lenses if they're fogged or yellowed? Big gains to be made there.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Narva is a good brand. 60/55 is a stock wattage, so you won't melt fixtures or wiring. Performance will likely be better than stock (although you don't say what manufacturer the previous bulbs were), but I don't know if it'll be strikingly noticeable or not. Have you polished the lamp lenses if they're fogged or yellowed? Big gains to be made there.

Thanks for the reply.
Stock bulb may be a Phillips according to researching the net but low power for longevity.The CR-V's light output is weak to us.Seems to be a Honda thing as a Civic we owned had the same issue.
I'm a clean car junky so the lenses are perfectly clear and waxed.
smile.gif

I guess I'll see how the Narva's are soon enough.
FWIW,Narva was bought by Phillips 8 years ago.

Since dual filament systems on some cars are hit and miss it may/may not be all that much better...hard to say. The next option would be to add some decent auxiliary driving lamps, like Cibie or Hella.

If the beam pattern from the housings is decent, more light will help. If not, it won't do much good.

Personally, with good H4 e-code housings on the Jeep, I've found standard 55w low beams to be plenty for most things (assuming the lights are aimed properly), so I'm running Hella 100/55w H4 bulbs (55w low, 100w high beam) with a relay harness.

The best bulbs you can use in your wife's CR-V are the Philips Xtreme Power or new Philips Xtreme Vision. The difference between the long-life Philips bulbs in the housings now and new Xtreme Power or Xtreme Vision bulbs is quite dramatic. I've seen it myself.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The best bulbs you can use in your wife's CR-V are the Philips Xtreme Power or new Philips Xtreme Vision. The difference between the long-life Philips bulbs in the housings now and new Xtreme Power or Xtreme Vision bulbs is quite dramatic. I've seen it myself.

I thought about going with the Philips Xtreme bulbs but went with the Narva's which are German made too.About the same cost but the Narva's +50 are said to last longer due to the less brightness.350 hours vs 200-250.
Probably go with Philips next time if the Narva's [censored] out quickly.I'd like to get a year on a set and do a change yearly.At around 9K miles per,it's a possibility.
Do you have or tried a bulb upgrade in your CR-V?

Originally Posted By: Colt

Yes, I've used a number of them. I first tried the Sylvania Xtravision. It's marked OSRAM Germany on the bulb itself. I'd say it gave a 15-20% improvement over the old Philips LL bulbs. An upgrade, but it wasn't dramatic. Then I tried Philips Xtreme Power, and it was a fantastic difference...I'd say at least 50-60%. I don't even care for more light than the Philips XP bulbs provide. Seriously...very bright, nice tight beam focus, etc. About a month ago, Kmart had some Philips Vision Plus bulbs on clearance for 10 bucks on a pair, so I bought a set. They're probably halfway between the Xtravisions and the Xtreme Power bulbs in terms of brightness. They have better beam focus than the Xtravisions do. Same nice focus as the Xtreme Power, just a little less bright.

I have the Sylvania Xtravision bulbs and the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs on the shelf now. The Philips Xtreme Power bulbs will go back in when the Vision Plus bulbs burn out, if not sooner. I may never use the Xtravisions again, but will likely keep them in the car as spares in case I lose one while driving.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Colt

Yes, I've used a number of them. I first tried the Sylvania Xtravision. It's marked OSRAM Germany on the bulb itself. I'd say it gave a 15-20% improvement over the old Philips LL bulbs. An upgrade, but it wasn't dramatic. Then I tried Philips Xtreme Power, and it was a fantastic difference...I'd say at least 50-60%. I don't even care for more light than the Philips XP bulbs provide. Seriously...very bright, nice tight beam focus, etc. About a month ago, Kmart had some Philips Vision Plus bulbs on clearance for 10 bucks on a pair, so I bought a set. They're probably halfway between the Xtravisions and the Xtreme Power bulbs in terms of brightness. They have better beam focus than the Xtravisions do. Same nice focus as the Xtreme Power, just a little less bright.

I have the Sylvania Xtravision bulbs and the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs on the shelf now. The Philips Xtreme Power bulbs will go back in when the Vision Plus bulbs burn out, if not sooner. I may never use the Xtravisions again, but will likely keep them in the car as spares in case I lose one while driving.

I was about to buy the Vision Plus bulbs on Amazon but did some more net research and decided to go with the Narva's.
Called Candlepower and talked to a rep Kenny who sells both the Xtremes and Narva's.The Xtremes were on sale and actually $3 cheaper for the pair.
With the shorter life of the Xtremes and Daniel Stern selling the Narva's,I went with the Narva's and bought them at Candlepower.
They'll go in early next week and I'll let you know how I feel about them.

Cool. After reading your post and replying, I actually switched out the VPs and put the XPs back in the CR-V tonight before I went to the store. There really is a noticeable difference, even going from the already very good VPs to the XPs. The Narva RPs are supposed to be a +50% bulb, similar in concept to the GE Nighthawk Platinum, Philips Vision Plus, Osram Silverstar (not Sylvania), etc. I'm sure you'll like them, and if you use the head lamps all the time, the output/life balance may work better for you.

I understand the life of the Philips XP in the field is a bit better than their rated lifespan would indicate. However, the new Philips XV (Xtreme Vision) apparently is a hair brighter than even the XP, and its actual longevity is more in line with its rated lifespan. I will say that I have many, many hours on these Philips XPs (I use them every day), and they've been good so far. No premature yellowing that I can tell either.

Looking forward to your impressions of the Narva RPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back