Using Shell Rotella T6 in non diesel cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing some searching in the forums and seems like everyone agrees on the fact that the Shell Rotella T6 is pretty good oil with a stout additive package. Seems like some people also like to blend the Rotella with other oils.

My question is if my Ford Explorer calls for a 5W-30, would it be ok to run the Rotella T6 5W-40 without blending? Its got almost 150k and was pretty much neglected for most of its life.

Also what about other high mileage cars that call for 5W-20....mainly Hondas? Would that be ok also?

I'm guessing both would be physically ok and there won't be any physical damage......you'll only see a decrease in gas mileage but just want to get everyone's opinion.

Why not use the oil with the wt the engine builders call for? If your engine calls for a 30 wt. then there is no advantage to using a 40 wt. Perhaps some down side.

Last edited:
Rotella T6 is a very good engine oil , it is not a good choice for you particular application. As Tig1 stated stick with the recommended 30 weight. If you want a thicker 30 weight try GC 0w-30 , M1HM 5w-30 or QS defy 5w-30.

If there is no meaningful consumption and wear numbers look good, I see no reason.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
...Also what about other high mileage cars that call for 5W-20....mainly Hondas? Would that be ok also?

I'm guessing both would be physically ok and there won't be any physical damage......you'll only see a decrease in gas mileage...

My '03 Civic with 195K miles calls for 5W-20 & consumes about 1 qt./2000 miles for the 3 years I've owned it. [Original owner probably neglected it]. I've tried different synthetics and found 5w30 Valvoline didn't change power or mpg. 0w40 Mobil 1 did, losing a little mpg and making it feel like driving with the parking brake on.

My belief is once an engine has high miles [125k+?] the viscosity requirement is not the same as new. If I had an oil pressure gauge on this car I'd know for sure what's best at this point. I would definitely try a 0w40 or 5w40 on a 150k mile Explorer if it were mine. 1 grade higher [30 to 40] for high miles makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What about Rotella T5 10w30?

There's a very good idea if you want to try Rotella.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
What about Rotella T5 10w30?

I'm using T5 10w-30 in a GMC Sierra 5.3 which calls for 5w-30, with no downside. Actually, I use it in that engine with one upside, which is reduced piston slap.

It's probably a better fit than using 5w-40.

I just went through two gallons of 10w-30 Rotella T (white jug) yesterday, changing oil before the winter in two John Deere garden tractors, and a 5500 watt Briggs and Stratton powered back-up generator. Picked it up for $11.00 a gallon.

Last summer run was mostly T6. Seemed fine to me. My car likes me to flog it. The manual says it gives me "increased performance". lol

Used it in an old ticking Toyota Corolla with 150k and an appetite for oil. Ran like a champ on T6. Less consumption, quiet as a mouse.

Rotella T6 5W-40 would probably do well in a higher mileage 4.0L. There's actually a Ford TB that allows for the use of 10W-40 conventional/syn-blend in that engine. So I don't see why not for the OP. But I think I'd personally rather go with a high mileage 5W-30 like MaxLife or even Mobil 1 5W-30 HM...

It will work fine and probably run better or as good as anything else. I don't sweat weight changes like most on here do. Running it now in my father's corolla and it's quieter on it even as the cooler months arrive.

I've used the T-6 in my mustang before and didn't notice a loss of mileage nor did it feel sluggish.
Op. You can use the T-6 if you like it just isn't optimal but I doubt it will do any harm. Give it a shot. Your consumption may decrease.
Have you considered a high mileage oil for your car. They are known to decrease consumption as well.
And just food for thought. OEM's claim that 1 quart per 1000 miles consumption is acceptable for brand new cars,so your consumption is half of what OEM's claim is acceptable.

While it wouldn't hurt anything, I don't see the benefit of running an HDEO in that engine. I'd go with a HM 5W-30. I've been changing the oil in my mother in law's Explorer for the last 5 years using mainly Walmart's Super Tech HM 5W-30. It has 180K miles and runs great, and has never even needed any top offs running 5K OCIs.

I think the one poster was right that some tolerences are looser in higher mile engines. I have 2 gallons left of the T6 and 4 gallons of T5 10w30 to use up. I may blend some T6 with some QSUD 02w0 or QSUD 5W20 I have. I have used T6 before in my 03' civic without any harm, ill effects.

just my 2 cents

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
My question is if my Ford Explorer calls for a 5W-30, would it be ok to run the Rotella T6 5W-40 without blending? Its got almost 150k and was pretty much neglected for most of its life.

I'm sure it would be fine and you're likely long out of warranty, so that's another issue avoided. It depends, however, upon what your friend is trying to accomplish. If there's some consumption, it might help. If he has a mixed fleet and wants to simplify things, it could certainly do that. If he's got a stash he wants to use up, go for it. If he's looking for something that's simply "better" for the engine, he may or may not find that. On the other hand, if it leaks, switching to a synthetic just means more expensive top ups, whereas a HM oil might help slow the leaks a bit.

If this is 4.0 then for sure the Rotella T6 5w40 will work fine right out of the bottle.
0w40 or 5w40 doesn't bother the Honda or Toyota engines at all either, they run nice and quiet. Fuel economy hit is minimal.

In your area Rotella T6 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 is not an issue. Try it you may surprised, it cant hurt.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
I think the one poster was right that some tolerences are looser in higher mile engines. I have 2 gallons left of the T6 and 4 gallons of T5 10w30 to use up. I may blend some T6 with some QSUD 02w0 or QSUD 5W20 I have. I have used T6 before in my 03' civic without any harm, ill effects.

just my 2 cents

Your confused my good man. A tolerance is how much something can be out of spec and still be acceptable. A clearance is the word you are looking for.
And it's not a dictionary definition before someone decides to correct me.
I see people calling different grades of oil weights,and people saying tolerance instead of clearance and it drives me nuts.
Back on topic.
As already said that choice of oil isn't ideal if fuel mileage is your top priority as it may cause you to burn slightly more fuel however I doubt very much any harm will come from it's use. I suggest trying it out. It may help your consumption issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back