OBDII & Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've managed to get access on my laptop to what appears to be every Ford code through my OBDII reader.

But I don't seem to have oil pressure.

Is there something else that I should be looking for? I have all sorts of things I can monitor.

Also, I have a code that's telling me I have 91 octane fuel in the tank but I only fill up on regular. Any idea what that's about?

Put 0W-20 in it, and then there's one missing link that you don't have to worry about...ever...thy did the tests...and the tests won.

There's a reason they don't have a gauge, oil related failures are practically non-existent.

Too much information is as bad as too little...

SOMEWHERE there is an oil pressure sender on every late model engine as the PCM needs that info. Most will cut fuel if there is a low enough reading, and even trigger a code for too much oil pressure as well.

It's in there, you just have to find it!

Last edited:
He doesn't need it, nor go look for it.

Right oil, right hole...problem is simply overthinking the issue

You will only get the oil pressure information if there is a an oil pressure sensor on the car. If it only has a switch to put the oil pressure warning light on and off it will not be able to display oil pressure via the ODBII system.

eddie

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
There's a reason they don't have a gauge, oil related failures are practically non-existent.

Too much information is as bad as too little...

SOMEWHERE there is an oil pressure sender on every late model engine as the PCM needs that info. Most will cut fuel if there is a low enough reading, and even trigger a code for too much oil pressure as well.

It's in there, you just have to find it!

Apparently it's not reported through the OBDII interface.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
You will only get the oil pressure information if there is a an oil pressure sensor on the car. If it only has a switch to put the oil pressure warning light on and off it will not be able to display oil pressure via the ODBII system.

eddie

Aye, thanks for the explanation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
He doesn't need it, nor go look for it.

Right oil, right hole...problem is simply overthinking the issue

Correct. It's not a concern. Just an interest.

I was happy to find I could get just about every other indicator imagineable, just not oil pressure.

eddie

While I have not seen them all I have yet to see any newer car without an oil pressure switch at the least. Many cars that do NOT have a gauge still collect data from an oil pressure reading somewhere in the engine.

I wonder if VVT vehicles have to log psi data...afterall thats how the valve timing actuators work...oil pressure.

You might even be thankful about the switch vs sensor. My Cummins engine has a $275 sensor and has + and - voltage going to it along with the sensor output. Unsure why. It feeds the ECM. And mine would go to midpoint with key on, engine running or not. So I replaced it.

You're going to have to tap and install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I am going to do just that when the Focus gets out of warranty.

Not having any problems with it, but I just like to watch it.

The octane rating on the pump is the minimum allowed. A dealer many years ago showed me a delivery slip where his "regular" fuel delivery was actually rated 90 octane, almost high enough to put in the premium tank.

Quote:
thy did the tests...and the tests won.

But but i need to check the oil pressure. I cant drive a bloody test.
crackmeup2.gif

As EddieCairns states above, most Ford vehicles, since at least 1990 in the US, don't have a real working OP gauge so that info will not be available in the OBDII data. Even if there is a "gauge", it's a fake that's been ballasted to read approx midway at all times and gets its info from a switch rather than a true sender. It was one of Ford's "better ideas" to hush up people too dumb to realise oil pressure is SUPPOSED to vary with RPM and temperature.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

eddie

While I have not seen them all I have yet to see any newer car without an oil pressure switch at the least. Many cars that do NOT have a gauge still collect data from an oil pressure reading somewhere in the engine.
Just a switch on most Camry I 4 engines.

If you don't have one you can buy a combo switch and sender which fits in the switch threads and install your own gauge.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock

No need to be interested even...

Ford engineers did all the thinking that you need.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
thy did the tests...and the tests won.

But but i need to check the oil pressure. I cant drive a bloody test.
crackmeup2.gif

If you're following me with a view to commenting on threads I start or comment on, then please restrict yourself to making helpful comments, rather than just being saracastic.

There is nothing at all wrong with me looking at the numbers.

Firstly, I'm looking at whole host of numbers because I'm interested in keeping my 9 year old car in good shape as well as making sure nothing is amiss with my Mercedes before the 4 year warranty expires in a few months.

Secondly, this particular vehicle has run both 30 weight and 20 weight oil. Regardless of the weight of oil, wouldn't oil pressure be worth monitoring for any abnormalities that I would be in a better position to pre-empt before they turn into a bigger problem?

Thirdly, I'm curious to see what happens when I move from the current 5w30 to 5w20.

Fourthly, I have some concern that my engine doesn't deliver as much power nor rev as freely as it might. I'll post up some numbers and you're welcome to comment on those. I'm relatively inexperienced at this but my common sense tells me that I should look at every indicator I can.

Lastly, while the engineers certainly could have done a better job with things like the transmission, I'm more worried about what all the mechanics whose competence I trusted, and who turned out to be incompetent, might have done as they guessed how to perform work, rather than rely on learning their trade and reading instructions specific to different models.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: MarkStock

No need to be interested even...

Ford engineers did all the thinking that you need.

Why wouldn't I be interested in engine and other indicators on a 9 year old car?

My house builder put on a roof with a projected life of 40 years. But prior to buying the house, I still had it inspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back