REPSOL ELITE EVOLUTION 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I have been searching topics about Repsol oil in this forum, but found none. So I decided to be the first one to post a topic about this oil.

I have been using REPSOL 5W-50 ELITE FASTER (now CARRERA) several years ago and have good impression about this oil. Later, changed to SHELL, Mobil1, Castrol Magnatec, but now as I was searching PAO-based oil for the next oil change for my BMW M52TU engine I remembered about Repsol.

Repsol currently has two 5W-40 oils in their product range:

1. REPSOL EVOLUTION 5W-40 (MSDS)
It is stated to be a "Mixture of polyalphaolephins and additives".
2. REPSOL ELITE COMPETICION 5W-40 - I think is group III, developed as per Repsol's experience with the WTCC champonship.

Other PAO based products are CARRERA 10W-60 & 5W-50, and Cosmos 0W-40.

Last edited:
The Elite Evolution 5W-40 is a mid-SAPS oil meeting BMW's LL-04 specification.

Personally I'd use a full-SAPS LL-01 product in a M52TU powered BMW. The LL-04 spec is for vehicles with more advanced emission systems. Base stock isn't the issue. Additive package is.

Hello FowVay,
Thanks for response!

Of course I thought about that, but REPSOL recommends this oil for my engine. Is it possible anything it to be not good for the engine and despite that they still recommend the oil?
I am using Castrol 5W-40 Magnatec C3 (HC, LL-04) at the moment, just don't like that when first started for the day for several seconds the oil lamp "shines" a little bit more than it did with LL98 oil.
That is why I want to switch to something else..

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about the specific basestock -- there are many group III+ oils that perform just as well as the "full synthetic" group IV/V.

As for Repsol's recommendation, I wouldn't worry too much about that. They're probably just making sure it's the correct viscosity and it matches the manufacturer approval (VW 502, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, or whatever else).

OK but.. should I worry about the ZDDP more? Mid-SAPS is dangerous for Euro III engine?
Price of BMW 5W-40 and Repsol Evolution 5W-40 is almost the same, so price is no issue.
And Competition 5W-40 is even cheaper. LL-01, API SM.

Last edited:
There are plenty of oils that are full-SAPS and meet LL-01, Mobil 1 0w-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40, Valvoline Synpower 5w-40, Mobil Super 3000 x1 5w-40 to name a few. The ones I listed have a good VI of 176-185 which are better than Castrol Magnatecs 169.

Mid-SAPS isn't dangerous but there is no real benefit in an older engine. Low-SAPS oils have trouble with extended drains as m37charlie has found out due to a low starting TBN.

If I would be going by the BMW oil life monitor, which allows up to 25000km OCI, I'd use a full-SAPS oil for peace of mind.

I agree definitely, just seek group 4 , 5w40 and seems like almost no products to match my criteria . Liqui Moly SYNTHOIL 5w40 (LL98) and Repsol Evolution are the products in Europe to match my criteria. Other options I do not find.
I know outside Euro union fuel can cause trouble with LL04 in my engine but for Europe it is fine.

Hmm I got another question: if car is driven with LPG fuel and LL04 oil, is that a good combination or fullSAPS is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back