Springfield Armory XD Subcompact

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father just purchased this new handgun (waiting for it to arrive). To be honest I haven't heard too much about this manufacturer. Does anyone have any comments on it? It's a sub-compact 9mm.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59

He plans on carrying it pretty regularly so he wanted a sub-compact rather than a full size.

They make good stuff. I have their SOCOM II.

My boss has a full size XD in .40 S&W. His seemed a little quirky, but maintenance on it is questionable. It would jam on rounds my Glock 22RTF2 would eat up no problem, but he was buying cheap ammo.

The XD is a wonderful firearm and I actually prefer it over the Glocks. My wife carries an XD40 and my Dad carries an XD9. Both love em. I shot both as well and between how well they shoot and all the accessories included for the price and its a darn good value as well. Plus the look pretty good which is more than I can say about a Glock. I carry a .45 Colt Defender or a .357 Scandium S&W and have been kicking around the idea of an XD45.

Last edited:
i had the chance to shoot the XD .40 fullsize, nice gun. Its no H&K or Glock, but for the bucks and what it comes with its not a bad deal. I wouldnt be afraid of owning one, but once you get a taste of better, its hard to backtrack.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The XD is a wonderful firearm and I actually prefer it over the Glocks.

01.gif

Excellent weapon!

The XD line uses a 1911 grip angle, so no its NOT a glock. I own both I shoot my XD9SC better than the Glock 20 I own.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
i had the chance to shoot the XD .40 fullsize, nice gun. Its no H&K or Glock, but for the bucks and what it comes with its not a bad deal. I wouldnt be afraid of owning one, but once you get a taste of better, its hard to backtrack.

Exactly it is not a Glock, it is better in every way than a Glock. Ergonomics, Accuracy, it eats ammo that a Glock will not dream of eating. I agree, it is not a Glock.

Originally Posted By: D.K.

Exactly it is not a Glock, it is better in every way than a Glock. Ergonomics, Accuracy, it eats ammo that a Glock will not dream of eating. I agree, it is not a Glock.

Ergonomics is subjective. The gun is only as accurate as the shooter. What ammo does it shoot that a Glock won't?
XD's are great guns, but saying they are better than a Glock in every way is foolish. they're very similar guns.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: D.K.

Ergonomics is subjective. The gun is only as accurate as the shooter. What ammo does it shoot that a Glock won't?
XD's are great guns, but saying they are better than a Glock in every way is foolish. they're very similar guns.

I dont own a Glock, and frankly im not a fan of them myself. But i wont argue there positive points. Glocks are quality sidearms.

Now i do own a Springfield 1911.. THATS a great gun
I also owna H&K .45 and thats a Real nice Gun..

XD's are good guns as well, i dont want to take anything away from them.

I own a XD service model .40 and my wife (a juvenile officer) is issued and carries a G22 also in .40.

She prefers shooting my XD, I prefer shooting her Glock. Go figure. I would say that my XD doesn't kick as much but her glock is a touch more accurate shooting the same ammo. Both companies make great stuff and in many cases it ends up being a Ford Vs Chevy type debate.

In a nutshell: Springfield Arms makes good stuff and your dad picked up a good weapon.

p.s. I'm not a fan of 9mm but that's another thread....lol

I have 2 XDM and 1 Glock. I like the grip of the XDM better, the match barrel, the trigger pull, magazine capacity is better than the Glock. Not to say the Glock is not good, it's a great gun, I just like the XDM much better. I will be swapping my stock Glock barrel for a Lone Wolf. I'm not a big fan of a barrel that's not fully supported and I shoot alot of lead bullets, a stock Glock barrel is not the way to go for my situation

Originally Posted By: Jocephus

In a nutshell: Springfield Arms makes good stuff and your dad picked up a good weapon.

Does Springfield make the XD (in the US)? I thought it was made in Croatia. Their 1911 pistols are made in Brazil.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
I thought it was made in Croatia. Their 1911 pistols are made in Brazil.

Yes and yes. I believe their higher end NM frames are finished machined in the US (or at least used to be).

So here it is May 2013 and the gun store still has possession of the handgun. They cannot release the handgun thanks to the draconian gun laws in this state and the ban of 10 round magazines (which this gun was ordered with) so we are in limbo waiting for the state to battle the law in the supreme court. Gov. Cuomo signed an executive order after the Newtown shooting banning 10 round magazines and limiting it to 7 rounds.

I can't leave this state soon enough..

Last edited:
Quote:
Gov. Cuomo signed an executive order after the Newtown shooting banning 10 round magazines and limiting it to 7 rounds.

Is that law in effect already?

Nobody knows what is going on. They rammed the law through so fast and the bill was so bad they had to issue an amendment to the bill because the language banned over 7 round magazines even for law enforcement!

Then after Cuomo got egg on his face due to nobody making 7 round mags they wanted to loosen the language to allow 10 round mags but you couldn't fully load it.

I know folks in NY state who have been waiting 7-8 months for their pistol permits. NY is one of the states in the country that is governed by the individual counties...which makes laws throughout the state all over the map. Some counties are much more free and lenient on weapons, some are ridiculous. If you have one city in the county expect a drawn out process to obtain a permit.

The XD is a fine weapon. I have one in the back of the safe. My Glocks get used for home defense, but I would use the XD if I had too. Not one jam or problem in probably 3000 round that I've put through them.

They are manufactured in Croatia and imported exclusively in the US by Springfield Armory. The pistol is called the HS2000 everywhere else in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HS2000

The XD is like a Glock that's actually made to fit a human hand. No offense to Glock fans; they are great weapons but I've never liked them or been able to shoot them very well.

I have four XDs. My carry piece is an XD45c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back