Kendall vs castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running castrol 20w50 in my 89 mustang. Was wondering if Kendall was any better or what people thought.

Kendall appears to have the better add pack on paper. Kendall also puts extra zinc in the 20w-50.

I'm biased but Kendall > Castrol in the Dino/blend category.

Why are you running such a thick oil? Is it modified? I'd not there's no need for such a heavy oil.

Last edited:
Had motor rebuilt it's punched out 30. Has e cam and ported and polished heads. I ran 10w30 in my last 5.0 and seemed to use alot of oil.

Most 20w50's are total slugs barely better than a straight grade oil, have you tried a good 10w40 yet, or better yet a 5w40 like T6?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Dude, that engine would be FINE on 5w30. Does it have ported stock E7's on it?

+1 my uncle who is a ford mechanic has built tons of 6-800 hp 5.0's with stroker kits and blowers. he runs 5w30 in almost all of them. from stock 5.0's to wild built ones, they all get 5w30 and perform well and last.

Last edited:
Yes has ported e7's. I've been running 20w50 since the rebuild. Motor has about 20,000 miles. Would it be alright to switch to 5w30 after running that thick of an oil for that long?

Originally Posted By: Mustang90
Yes has ported e7's. I've been running 20w50 since the rebuild. Motor has about 20,000 miles. Would it be alright to switch to 5w30 after running that thick of an oil for that long?

Question:

Why was it rebuilt? Low oil pressure? Poor compression?

Yes, assuming it was rebuilt with stock clearances, it would be fine on 5w30. The E-cam is small, no issue there. And with E7's, you certainly aren't pushing the power level to a point that requires considering something thicker.

I'm a big fan of 0w40 in these engines, but that has primarily been on apps a bit wilder than yours. You'll likely be just fine with 5w30, but 0w40 wouldn't hurt anything if you decided to go that route.

I'd stick with the Castrol 20w50,especially if you drive it like you stole it
smile.gif

If you wanna go synth,use Mobil 1 15w50. It's cheap as dirt via Walmart 5 quart jug. Has 1300ppm of zddp if your engine requires it. Or you can always run Castrol Syntec 5w50

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If you wanna go synth,use Mobil 1 15w50. It's cheap as dirt via Walmart 5 quart jug. Has 1300ppm of zddp if your engine requires it. Or you can always run Castrol Syntec 5w50

It's a roller 302 that originally would have spec'd 5w30 or 10w30. It doesn't need 20w50. In fact running 20w50 in these engines without a hardened oil pump drive shaft has caused the shaft to fail on a not so insignificant number of them.

I have a lot of experience with the 302. I can't think of a situation where one would need 20w50. Not that I don't know guys who use 5w50/15w50 in them, I do. But those cars are also making more than 600HP and have a supercharger sharing the engine oil. They'd likely still be fine with M1 0w40 though.

OP, just for reference, this is the last 302 I worked on:

300RWHP (a little low for the parts, but the car pulls like crazy)

Stock shortblock, Trickflow T/W's, Custom cam, TFS-R intake, 75mm TB, link-bar lifters, stock oil pump, M1 0w40 in the sump.

That's a pull to the stock rev limiter.

This was the previous car:

Same longblock but carb'd with a Victor Jr. and a Holley HP 750 on it. Also had M1 0w40 in it here.

The engine has been apart a few times for upgrades/changes and everything still looks like new. It has fantastic oil pressure as well.

Unfortunately the owner of these cars has automotive ADD and gets bored of them somewhat quickly. He's been through something like seven Mustangs since I've known him. I've wrenched on all of them to some degree, but the two I've posted were certainly my favourites.

He just sold the black one two weeks ago. Guy who bought it couldn't get over how well it worked. Pulls hard right to the limiter, power curve never tapers off, just flattens and stays there.

Both of these cars were purchased with broken engines. A lot of time and effort was put into both of them and if I had the room, I would have bought the '87, as I used to own one and that car was in amazing shape.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Kendall is garbage. No, I have no proof other than how my cars ran on the trash.

crackmeup2.gif

Thanks for the input. I run motorcraft 5w20 in my focus the stuff seems really good I know it's probably the same or pretty close to the Kendall gt1.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Dude, that engine would be FINE on 5w30. Does it have ported stock E7's on it?

+1 my uncle who is a ford mechanic has built tons of 6-800 hp 5.0's with stroker kits and blowers. he runs 5w30 in almost all of them. from stock 5.0's to wild built ones, they all get 5w30 and perform well and last.

donnyj08, What brand of oil did your uncle use in them there engines? By the way those engines are awesome...
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Mustang90
Thanks for the input. I run motorcraft 5w20 in my focus the stuff seems really good I know it's probably the same or pretty close to the Kendall gt1.

Close but Kendall has more additives.

Kendall is garbage. No, I have no proof other than how my cars ran on the trash.
Nonsense. Today's Kendall oil is just another ConocoPhillps brand. It is identical with many of the oils with the Conoco or Phillips or 76 label. CP does not put any of their lower level oils in the Kendall line, but may put those in the other brands.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Nonsense. Today's Kendall oil is just another ConocoPhillps brand. It is identical with many of the oils with the Conoco or Phillips or 76 label. CP does not put any of their lower level oils in the Kendall line, but may put those in the other brands.

Kendall is the only COP pcmo with the titanium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back