Costco Gas in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco just opened up a gas station here. That resulted in a drop in prices almost immediately. I normally gas up at Husky/Mohawk and Shell.

Prices (as of today) at Costco is 6 cents less than the competitors for regular, 15 cents less for premium.

Any Canadians fill up at Costco? Thoughts?

I saw that new Costco station, no idea who sources their fuel though.

Personally I buy my gas at Regina Cabs, its usually 9 cents off a litre, and is regularly fueled up off Flying J (Shell) trucks.

Though; I'm sure Costco gas is an excellent alternative. Expect people to tell you its evil and not Top Tier and will leave deposits in your engine, exhaust, wife, etc...

I think the Top Tier thing is a bit overhyped. Don't those stations have to pay to be a "member" of top tier? Thought I read that somewhere, but can't remember if it's here or elsewhere.

The Lexus requires 91, so if I can save 15 cents a litre at Costco, I'm willing to give up the Air Miles and/or Husky points to save that $$$.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Personally I buy my gas at Regina Cabs, its usually 9 cents off a litre, and is regularly fueled up off Flying J (Shell) trucks.

I wouldn't worry about Costco gas, considering the tanks here are very new. I did, however, have unacceptable results from the gas at Regina Cabs and Regina Messenger in my fleet days.

In the states, costco gas is rebadged BP.
All gas is about the same.It all comes from the same pipelines and the gas distributers throw a few ppm of additives in it.
Top tier means nothing anymore .
Its how the tanks are cared for on the local level.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Any Canadians fill up at Costco?

Not this one. I have better things to do than sit in a lineup for 15 minutes.

Do not have one in my town but I heard the prices are lower if you can find a Costco gas station.
There is one in Windsor, ON. I may fill up there next time I'm in town (I have family there)

Line ups are not my thing either. Costco is usually a zoo here.

Superstore 7c superbucks with PC MC = points for food discount that is where I go. With a big family, that is our biggest expense.

Originally Posted By: chad8
In the states, costco gas is rebadged BP.
All gas is about the same.It all comes from the same pipelines and the gas distributers throw a few ppm of additives in it.
Top tier means nothing anymore .

The "additives" can vary widely from brand to brand and they in fact can GREATLY affect how clean your fuel system will be over time.

Top Tier requires that a brand uses many times the minimum EPA level of detergents, so that you can be SURE that your intake valves, injectors, and combustion chambers remain almost as clean as when it was brand new.

The base gas may be the same, but the detergents are DEFINITELY NOT and DO MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE OVER TIME.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The base gas may be the same, but the detergents are DEFINITELY NOT and DO MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE OVER TIME.

Evidence?

@RiceCake: While some non-Top Tier gasolines might be equivalent to Top Tier, there certainly are some garbage gasolines out there. As for evidence, all I've got personally is anecdotal evidence, but there are certain gasolines I'd definitely not buy thanks to some very poor experiences with them. Part of it may be bad tanks, some may be because of low additive levels. Nonetheless, there are places I simply will not use.

Costco gasoline is a good alternative. Since it is a warehouse club, their prices are not as reactive to price spikes. In the states, they advertise 5x the detergent additive required by law. I use Costco whenever I have access to it.

I agree with Garak that there certainly is fuel being sold that is garbage. In 34 years of driving with 22 different automobiles, only once have I had a fuel related issue (and it was actually my wife.) She purchased at a small, regional off brand chain because they pumped the gas for the same price. After a experience with clogged injectors, she had to become accustomed to pumping her own fuel elsewhere.

I choose my fuel providers by price, cleanliness and volume of station, as well as personal experience. I don't necessarily feel compelled to purchase because of "The List."

Last week I'm sure I saw a shell tanker filling the tanks at Costco. Now whether it's always shell I can't say for sure.
What I can tell you is my Harley is very sensitive to different fuels. In fact it will ping and sputter on mohawk/husky,esso and fasgas as far as the stations go here.
The bike runs great on shell,co-op,and Costco fuels here where I live. So I stick to those stations. The best my bike ever ran was running chevron 94. I know that octane shouldn't affect how an engine runs as long as it's adequate but both the bike and mustang ran like I was running nitro-methane,great power and no running issues at all.

Admittedly, I've only had rare cases of bad gas. Once was from Husky/Mohawk in the Audi, which was odd because I have bought there very regularly without problems. I guess one bad load in over twenty years isn't a big deal. The discount stations have given problems, too. That bothered me the most, though, since it was with the fleet, and those vehicles were not terribly fuel sensitive, so there was obviously something terribly wrong with the gas. Stock Chevy 305s should not be pinging like mad in urban traffic on regular gas.

Another piece of anecdotal evidence (and nothing more than that) is a First Nations lady I know up here who refuses to fill her new vehicles on the reserve (which has a new station), even though she could get the gas substantially cheaper there due to the tax breaks. Instead, she buys the gas from regular stations, paying a hefty premium. She claims that her vehicles run poorly on the off brand gasoline.

Personally, I avoid the really, really old stations that haven't had tank upgrades for a number of years, even if they are Top Tier. Coops are good here, too, since there are plenty of new stations. I tend to go to Petro-Canada the most, though.

I fuel up at Costco if I can, but if i see a line up I just drive away. plus, its around 10km away, and would cost me 1 or 2L of gas to drive there, so the saving have to be greater to offset the driving distance.
the EPA is US, and i don't know how Canadian corporation run their detergent level. but I heard there are a few retailer such as Canadiantire, Shell and maybe ESSO that may be ethanol and MMT free in premium grade in GTA.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
I fuel up at Costco if I can, but if i see a line up I just drive away. plus, its around 10km away, and would cost me 1 or 2L of gas to drive there, so the saving have to be greater to offset the driving distance.
the EPA is US, and i don't know how Canadian corporation run their detergent level. but I heard there are a few retailer such as Canadiantire, Shell and maybe ESSO that may be ethanol and MMT free in premium grade in GTA.

Here in Saskatchewan premium is ethanol free except for Mohawk/Husky stations,however they are the only stations that carry 94 octane,everywhere else is 91.
The husky/Mohawks used to carry 91 octane and sell it for the same price as everyone elses regular up until a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted By: gogozy

There are Top Tier stations in Canada, and as Clevy pointed out, it's not terribly hard to find ethanol free premium, at least in this province. Ethanol content is currently provincially regulated, and I don't know what the rules are in Ontario. Here, one must sell an ethanol content average. Considering regular sells the most, it's E10, and midgrade is a blend, and they can get away with ethanol free premium because their average is sufficient.

@Clevy: I wonder if Mohawk's 91 is now ethanol free. They still have the 91 and now the 94, which we're pretty certain is ethanol enhanced.

Yes there is a difference in minimum EPA spec and top tier gas. Many vehicles have rolled into our shop with dirty injectors causing a misfire or poor fuel economy. Most of them use min EPA spec gas like pioneer. I tell them to get mid grade petro canada gas and drive it. After two tanks the engine runs fine. This problem is very prevalent with direct injection gas engines, and manufacturers recommend using top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back