Comparing 10W40 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to choose between these 40 weight oils,which would you choose and why? I want a good 40 weight oil to run during the winter,that`s cheap (via Walmart 5 quart jugs). I might see if any of the Autozones still have the Durablend for $3 in stock.

Valvoline 10W40 wb
Valvoline Maxlife 10W40
Castrol Syntec 10W40
Castrol GTX 10W40

If Synpower 5W40 or M1 0W40 came in 5 quart WM jugs,that`d be on the list too,BUT,I have noticed WM carrying these in $6 quarts. I`m leaning towards the 5W40 Synpower,since I`ve always liked Valvoline oils. Would Synpower 5W40 be that much better of an oil over 10W40 wb and Maxlife?

Last edited:
You for for Mobil Super 5000, 10w-40. Cheaper than VWB, PYB, GTX and has a good additive package. You live in south texas...... there is no winter lol.

South Texas, why not run Rotella 15w-40 year round?
A far better oil than passenger car 10w-40 and less expensive than synthetics.
21.gif

I agree, go Valvoline for 10w40, or the Syntec. Regular GTX 10w40 is a slug, although the High Mileage in 10w40 is good stuff but thick, really thick.

Oil is cheap compares with gasoline. For 6k OCI the cost of conventional oil and mid-range oil filter is only $25 for 5 quart sump. That same car can use 200 gallons of gas (average 30 MPG) and at $4/gal the cost of gas is $800. Cost of oil +filter is less than 5% cost of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
21.gif

Really 15w-40? Might want to water that down a bit

If it's for your '96 Nissan with high miles, I would check PYB because it has a high HT/HS of 3.8 cp compared with 2.9 cp from the selections in your list. See the fact sheets from their respective websites. Pennz High Mileage has an even higher cp of 4.1.

Castrol GTX is the thinnest in your list at 14.3 cST @100c. Its High Mileage version is 16.1 though, and Edge with SPT is 14.6. VWB is 14.5, Maxlife is 15. PYB is 15.4 while PHM is 15.5.

For a 10w-40, I've using Walmart Supertech dino with good results so far for my '00 Jetta 2.slow.

PS. Supertech is from Warren at my WMT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
21.gif

Really 15w-40? Might want to water that down a bit

Why? He wants a 40 grade. A diesel 40 grade would be great. Uoa to see how long you can extend the oci and it's great oil.

I would agree with that. Perhaps I'm just biased against 10w-40s from the old days, but I'd prefer the HDEO 15w-40 over the PCMO 10w-40 in just about any application. If I wanted a 40 and were worried about the cold, there are other choices, too, but in Texas, not an issue.

If you look at the mans question, he had enough common sense not to consider a 15w-40 oil. Any of you suggesting this tryed starting a non-deisel on 18F degree morning with 100% 15-40 in the sump? Absolutly not ideal!

obviously this topic is consumed by the thicker is better crowd

From a Global perspective, a 40 weight is not thick.

If you look at the mans question, he had enough common sense not to consider a 15w-40 oil. Any of you suggesting this tryed starting a non-deisel on 18F degree morning with 100% 15-40 in the sump? Absolutly not ideal!

I'm certainly not part of the thick crowd. However, when one needs to use a thicker oil, my view is to do it right. If one wants a 40 grade, in a vehicle that doesn't have proprietary German specifications, they're probably not averse to a little extra ZDDP and enhanced TBN, which are not necessarily included in PCMO 10w-40s.

Incidentally, my old gasoline fueled Audi's manual recommended 15w-40 and 15w-50 down to 5 F, let alone 18 F.

Whatever people..... according to yall, we could all just use 15-40 and 10-40 in everything and go on our marry way. WRONG!

I never considered myself part of the thin oil crowd, but judging by so many stupid comments ive come across so far about 40 and 50 grades, i think ive just joined the thin crowd

Whatever people..... according to yall, we could all just use 15-40 and 10-40 in everything and go on our marry way. WRONG!

First off, look where he is. He's in southern Texas, not North Dakota or Alaska. A 10w-xx or a 15w-xx are more than suitable for the temperatures that he's liable to encounter. I've run many engines hundreds of thousands of miles in this climate (not southern Texas by any stretch of the imagination) on 10w-30 conventional.

Secondly, look at his application. I suspect he's not talking about some Prius that he has stashed away in his garage and intentionally left out of his signature line. I'm sure he's well aware what viscosities are permitted under what conditions in his owner's manual.

@aquariuscsm: If you're looking at synthetics, there are 5w-40 and 0w-40 HDEOs in gallon jugs. They might just be a little tougher to find. I had no problems with Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in my Audi in the winter. Incidentally, RP 5w-40 still has their Synerlec in it.

I never considered myself part of the thin oil crowd, but judging by so many stupid comments ive come across so far about 40 and 50 grades, i think ive just joined the thin crowd

Speaking of stupid comments....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back