Techron and Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question of curiosity-

I have a bottle of Techron that is many years old, probably 15 years at least. On the bottle it states that it is for gas and diesel engines.

I was looking up the PDS for Techron a few moments ago, and I see that it specifically states:

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
TECHRON Concentrate Plus is designed for gasoline
carbureted or fuel injected spark ignition engines. To
keep the entire fuel system clean, use TECHRON
Concentrate Plus every 3,000 miles or at scheduled oil
change intervals, not to exceed twice per oil change.

Will not harm catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

Not recommended for air-cooled two-stroke engines.

Not recommended for diesel engines.

Does anyone know what has changed?

Perhaps it's the diesel engine. With all the new pollution controls, perhaps they felt it best to avoid the diesel engine?

Quote:
With all the new pollution controls

And common rail direct injection with the very high PSI delivery. (but DI gas cars have that too?)

So anyway if you have an old IDI diesel with a rotary injection pump and so forth, give it a whirl!
laugh.gif

6.9 IHC anyone?
laugh.gif

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps if one had an MSDS from back then to compare with now, it would be telling.

I wonder if there are studies in the literature on the use of PEA for diesel cleanup and its effects on fuel properties.

Lubricity of the diesel fuel has changed (newer fuel is less)and the lubricity requirements of the newer injection systems are greater due to the higher pressures involved.

The feds now watch what additives get put into diesels,the manufacturer must state wether you can or cant (its an emission thing),back in the day it was unregulated,now it is.Its been this way for 3-4 years now.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Lubricity of the diesel fuel has changed (newer fuel is less)and the lubricity requirements of the newer injection systems are greater due to the higher pressures involved.

Youre implying then that PEA and whatever else is in the fuel add is less lubricious than the benzothiophenes that create the "lubricity".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back