Adding Valvoline OT while motor is RUNNING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the newest VOA's(in that section) and the testimonials of some, I'm becoming impressed with the Valvoline SynPower Oil treatment.

Valvoline web-site says to add this to oil while motor is running at idle and hot!

I know this thing has visc. of about 189 cSt at 100C, but is it advisable to open the oil fill hole while the motor is RUNNING? wouldn't oil splash out?

isn't it enough that motor is hot?

Any advice on that?
Thanks.

I'm thinking of adding this to MC 5/30 blend for my 4.6L mod, for the winter months, to fight the "shearing" of the 5/30...wonder how that mix would work
dunno.gif

[ November 06, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

People used to adjust the valves with the whole valve cover missing and the car running. THAT was messy.

If you notice your valve cover already has a hose to let fresh air in from behind the air filter... removing the cap just lets in more air, albeit unfiltered. The PCV system will draw a vacuum so the idle could go up with the cap off.

Unless you have some overhead cam setup that has real wild oil flow at idle AND happens to have a slinger right at the oil hole opening ...I don't think you'll be in trouble. Just put a clean rag around the neck of the bottle.

When I first put Maxlife Engine Protector (MEP), which is similar thickness to the Synpower OT, in my pickup I let the engine run as they said. Works ok but when you pull the bottle away there always is that thick string of oil that the fan then blows all over the place.

Second time I put MEP in, the engine was hot but shut off. Didn't even think about it. I believe if the engine is fully warmed up, the Synpower OT will easily drain down. Just fire it up shortly after you add the stuff and you should be fine.

I've used valvoline mlep..I added it while the engine was driving. but it spilled over the valve cover. I was ****** . so the next oil change. in the 4 quart capacity. with the engine off, I put three quarts in, added 8 oz os valvoline mlep, then added the last quart. started it up and drove the car.

I add the stuff when the motor is warm/hot but not running tho I dilute it with LC first. I then fire up the motor and idle for few minutes or drive the car. IMO, as long as the motor is not stone cold and started right after the additive is added then there should be no issue.

Simply pour it in an empty quart of oil container and add some oil to the quart. Close the cap and shake it up. It will now be ready to pour out into your warm engine. No need to pour it with the engine running. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back