Subaru 4EAT Trans filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy on a Subaru forum cut open a factory map in-on filter and showed it had an entirely different design than aftermarket oil filters which claim they are suitable for Subaru trans, eg Wix 51356. However, oil filters have a by-pass valve whereas the factory Subaru filter has a perforated plate/screen instead of a by-pass valve so you always have a flow of ATF to the cooler even if the pleated media is clogged.

My friend had her 2007 Outback serviced recently and they made two mistakes. First they flushed with 10 qts of Dexron before adding 6 qts of Subaru ATF. That means her trans now has 40% Dexron which Subaru says can be used only temporarily.

The other mistake was they removed the factory external filter and replaced it with a Carquest 85356 oil filter.

I know we need to get the Dexron out of there, but should we also replace the filter? Thanks.

Last edited:
Definately get rid of the filter.

Even though they look similar there are very good reasons why Subaru mark the filters in such an obvious way. Or at least the UK ones are.

I would never have trusted my Subaru autobox with any old garage, only my autobox.

Aftermarket for Subaru tranny filters is terrible.
I got 2 filters with the same part number but 2 distinctly different filters. Every box had one or the other but neither fit properly. OEM only.

I used a spin-on Napa Gold oil filter on my Dads 4EAT in a 2002 WRX with Maxlife ATF about 25,000 miles ago (it has almost 150k miles). So far so good. It behaves just how it did before. However, I will be doing another drain and fill in about 5k miles and at that point a "real" OEM transmission filter will be going back on.

I guess I was ignorant of that when I put an OEM VIX filter in the 4EAT tranny at circa 40,000 miles. The AT and ATF (dexron III at that time) was still fine 20,000 miles later when the car was totaled by a crazy driver on drugs.

Unless one abuses the tranny with lack of ATF changes, it should not be an issue.

I suspect the tranny is fine with Dexron III and was backspeced to newer Subaru ATF.

The 51365 works fine we have used them on many many subie's for many years and we have cars that we see all the time and no problems. We have also used Chevron multi-vehicle ATF and it also has worked very well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vssjim
The 51365 works fine we have used them on many many subie's for many years and we have cars that we see all the time and no problems. We have also used Chevron multi-vehicle ATF and it also has worked very well.

As long as filter media stays clear the 51365 will be fine. Problem i have is why throw away a perfectly fine factory life-time filter and replace it with an inferior aftermarket? Starting 2006, Subaru stopped specing Dex for the 4EAT. I don't know if their engineers simply believe they will get better performance with their HP ATF or if they actually changed friction materials making HP necessary. I know the Owners Manual says in bold type that Dex can be used on a temporary basis only or you will get noise, vibration and shudder.

I changeed out my factory AT filter on my Forester at 110 miles with a new OEM filter. I cut to used AT filter open and it looked like new. From my experience I see no reason to NOT follow Subarus recomendation in the owners manual. Change only if damaged. Ed

Short version:
Get the OEM (Japan) tranny filter and use Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc. Also do the power-steering while you're at it.

Long version:
I did a pan-drop fluid change/flush on the 2002 Forester about two years ago and threw on a NAPA Gold filter on the tranny at the time (Subaru filter was $50). I also populated the pan and power-steering reservoir with ceramic magnets (Home Depot) to pull more metal out.

Up to that time it was dealer serviced (170k km) and the records showed that 4 liters of AFT had been installed at around the 80k mark. Of course the tranny holds closer to 12 liters so there was plenty of over-used, low-quality AFT in there. A fluid change is more than just pulling the plug and filling-up.

After tearing apart the OE filter I could see it was of special build and using bypass-type filter media. The media was black and the oil coming from it was gritty and visibly dirty. That's when I decided to throw a new OE filter on during the next change.

I've just completed another fluid change. This time 5.5 liters of Maxlife in the tranny (pulling the filter will let more oil drain) and installed an OE filter. Also did a 2-3 liter exchange on the power-steering (pull the return-line from the reservoir and run a hose into a container) by pouring Maxlife in while someone runs the engine & works the steering for a few seconds. The magnets in the reservoir were coated in black so it's nice to know they're being useful.

The tranny runs beautiful and the steering is smoother than ever. I'll do another fluid change (maybe a pan-drop to check/clean the magnets) in the spring or in a year. Definitely using Maxlife from here on out.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Short version:
Get the OEM (Japan) tranny filter and use Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc. Also do the power-steering while you're at it.

Long version:
I did a pan-drop fluid change/flush on the 2002 Forester about two years ago and threw on a NAPA Gold filter on the tranny at the time (Subaru filter was $50). I also populated the pan and power-steering reservoir with ceramic magnets (Home Depot) to pull more metal out.

Up to that time it was dealer serviced (170k km) and the records showed that 4 liters of AFT had been installed at around the 80k mark. Of course the tranny holds closer to 12 liters so there was plenty of over-used, low-quality AFT in there. A fluid change is more than just pulling the plug and filling-up.

After tearing apart the OE filter I could see it was of special build and using bypass-type filter media. The media was black and the oil coming from it was gritty and visibly dirty. That's when I decided to throw a new OE filter on during the next change.

I've just completed another fluid change. This time 5.5 liters of Maxlife in the tranny (pulling the filter will let more oil drain) and installed an OE filter. Also did a 2-3 liter exchange on the power-steering (pull the return-line from the reservoir and run a hose into a container) by pouring Maxlife in while someone runs the engine & works the steering for a few seconds. The magnets in the reservoir were coated in black so it's nice to know they're being useful.

The tranny runs beautiful and the steering is smoother than ever. I'll do another fluid change (maybe a pan-drop to check/clean the magnets) in the spring or in a year. Definitely using Maxlife from here on out.

Why would you put in Dex when Subaru tells you specifically not to? Down here Subaru recommends AT drain/fills every 30k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Why would you put in Dex when Subaru tells you specifically not to? Down here Subaru recommends AT drain/fills every 30k miles.

Subaru specifically states to use DexIII which is a low-performance, low-life, obsolete fluid-spec. Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is vastly superior while still meeting the 'spec'. Another (superior) option would be Red Line D4 or D6 (preferred) or Amsoil ATF, ATD or ATL (preferred).

Subaru does not recommend a drain/fill at 30k miles, they recommend an inspection, or in my case they recommend replacement at 96k km. Replacement means, to me, all of the fluid which is about 10 liters (just checked) and not the 4-ish liters that you get when you pull the plug for a drain/fill.

http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/webimage/500k/500K_NA_1990-2009_H4_MaintGuide_EN.pdf

Last edited:

Subaru specifically states to use DexIII which is a low-performance, low-life, obsolete fluid-spec. Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is vastly superior while still meeting the 'spec'. Another (superior) option would be Red Line D4 or D6 (preferred) or Amsoil ATF, ATD or ATL (preferred).

Subaru does not recommend a drain/fill at 30k miles, they recommend an inspection, or in my case they recommend replacement at 96k km. Replacement means, to me, all of the fluid which is about 10 liters (just checked) and not the 4-ish liters that you get when you pull the plug for a drain/fill.

http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/webimage/500k/500K_NA_1990-2009_H4_MaintGuide_EN.pdf

Differences are interesting. Down here, for the 07 Outback Dex is not specified except for temporary use. Subaru made this change in 2006. For 2005 and earlier, Dex 3 was specified for 4EAT and HP for 5EAT. My dealer did a drain/fill at 30k and calls for another at 60k miles. I assumed that was what Subaru called for but I will confirm.

My dealer did a drain/fill at 30k and calls for another at 60k miles. I assumed that was what Subaru called for but I will confirm.

I certainly don't have a problem with doing a 30k drain/fill. That's basically what I would recommend but maybe more frequent, like every-other (or third) engine oil change or every two/three years.

Last edited:
That makes sense. It used to be 30,000 miles interval with regular dino dexon 3, and now it's 60,000 with better quality (synthetic?).
Most car makers are going this route specifying better lubricants and less maintenance.

Subaru recommends 100k km / 60 month transmission fluid changes for 2012:

http://subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=14983&WebSiteID=282
http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/webimage/500k/2012_MaintenancePoster_EN.pdf

But the spin-on transmission filters were de-contented years ago- from US models atleast.

Subaru US maintenance recommendations are different from Canada's too for some reason.

There is no fluid change recommendation for my 2012 Legacy's CVT for normal usage. I don't buy it. I'm a BITOGer!

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
But the spin-on transmission filters were de-contented years ago- from US models atleast.

That in itself is a crying shame. I was so impressed, not only that there's a spin-on filter for the tranny, but of the purpose-built quality put into it.

There is no fluid change recommendation for my 2012 Legacy's CVT for normal usage. I don't buy it. I'm a BITOGer!

You know we wouldn't stand for that. Do some research and find the optimal service!

I looked at the Maintenance booklet that came with my friend's 2007 Outback with 4EAT trans. It does not call for drain/fills, just inspect every 30k miles. If you tow, then replace every 15k miles. Dealer did a drain/fill at 30k which led me to think it was a Subaru recommendation. Turns out it was just a dealer recommendation which I happen to agree with.

Only problem is dealer used wrong ATF. According to the dealer invoice, they used the regular (as opposed to HP) Subaru ATF which I believe is Dexron.

So, between the dealer 30k drain/fill and the indie flush at 48k, I would say trans now has 100% Dexron instead of the recommended HP. Not sure my friend would perceive any difference in trans performance if, in fact, there is any difference. In any event, I am going to replace with Subaru HP (cooler line flush) and install a factory AT filter. Probably wasting her money but it will be right when I am finished.

Last edited:

That in itself is a crying shame. I was so impressed, not only that there's a spin-on filter for the tranny, but of the purpose-built quality put into it.

I hear that! Even w/out the spin-on, the 4EAT is still a legendary AT IMO, in terms of reliability. Very old school, but they still have a tow-rating and will take a beating. I've seen them with close to 300K miles on them and still going.

My brother's new 2012 Forester still came with a 4EAT. It's days are numbered now Subaru has committed to CVTs.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back