K&N destroys another engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
People tell me not to worry about it, since it is "only a customer's truck", but it frustrates me to see a perfectly good Ford Raptor destroyed by a K&N filter.

Last week the customer came in for an oil change on the Raptor he had bought. It had water in the oil. No loss of coolant. After flushing and cleaning it up, he went away happy with good oil.

Today, after a a few inches of rain this morning, he came back with water in the oil again. No loss of coolant. My people called me downstairs to investigate. I found this K&N filter adapted to the truck, wet with the water that splashes all over the engine compartment when you go through water. I pulled it off to see all this dirt inside the air intake and the brown, water filled oil.

It bothers me that people get taken in by advertising of filters like this and destroy engines.

raptor_KN.jpg

raptor_intake.jpg

raptor_oil.jpg

After looking at the kit and quickly perusing the Raptor boards, some folks have said that the filter can get wet running through water. Bad kit and moron owner, unite!

Originally Posted By: MaximusD
They do make water resistant covers for a cai. Can't say this is K&N's fault.

That! This is purely operator error, no fault of K&N!

Assuming that would not have happened with the OEM, and K&N sold this as a kit for that truck how can you not blame them?

I mean, if they owner modified or diy'd this from parts for another vehicle then I can see how KN isn't responsible. But if they're selling these and this is the improvement over OEM... wow.

And the pic of the dirt in the intake tract... it's not filtering air. And you can blame them for that. I wonder if it's a two for one deal, where the MAF is gummed up with oil and it's not filtering that dirt!

Last edited:
You know guys who play in the mud and water do know that water gets in, even with stock filters. You blaming K&N for this is just pushing an agenda.

I play in mud and water quite a bit in my Jeep. The intake is right behind the left headlight.

I've dipped into mud and water deep enough that I lost the headlights (they got wet), I have managed to hit water pits at high speed to the point that the air box was COVERED in mud and the inside up to the filter.

My intake tube is clean as a whistle ...

Looks like the radiator resevoir bottle is empty also. This truck leads a tough life IMO. --Oldtommy

K&N bashing of the highest order.

A bit like blaming the brakes when you rear end someone. It hadn't actually used the brakes.

This is just the owner being dopy.

And just so you are aware it is possible for a car with a standard intake and air filter to suck up water causing an hydraulic lock of the engine.

One thing, how did the water get from the air intake to the oil without seizing the engine?

I suspect the owner had been driving through water that his vehicle was not capable of and maybe he water got in through the crank case ventilation system.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Assuming that would not have happened with the OEM, and K&N sold this as a kit for that truck how can you not blame them?

I mean, if they owner modified or diy'd this from parts for another vehicle then I can see how KN isn't responsible. But if they're selling these and this is the improvement over OEM... wow.

And the pic of the dirt in the intake tract... it's not filtering air. And you can blame them for that. I wonder if it's a two for one deal, where the MAF is gummed up with oil and it's not filtering that dirt!

You did see the bit were the OP mentioned that the kit was adapted to fit the raptor.

And anyway only an idiot would fit that kind of filter for off roading. He needs a properly sealed snorkel.

The under bonnet pictures clearly show that the vehicle has been driven through some deep water.

Sometimes the anti K&N posters need to take a deep breath.

This Raptor was ruined by the owner. He seems to think his Raptor is a Defender.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Perhaps that air filters should actually filter air?

raptor_intake.jpg

And you KNOW that this dirt didn't get past a bodged on Cold Air Intake instead of through the filter media.

The filter doesn't look like a K&N though. It looks like one of those cheap Chinese knock offs.

A K&N sticker doesn't mean it has one fitted.

And what is the chance the probably young owner is telling the truth on what happened, especially if he was doing something stupid.

Last edited:
Its intalled wrong, he didn't make the hood cut out and turn the snorkel up for off roading. He also needed a prefilter for the dusty conditions.

K&Ns are not recommended for dusty conditions.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
[
The under bonnet pictures clearly show that the vehicle has been driven through some deep water.

The picture shows splashed-up mud that piled on top of the parts such as the brake reservoir. There isn't evidence of immersion.

Perhaps most of the splash shields have been removed.

Interesting opinions. Of course it should have had a filter box. He bought the truck with it installed that way.

We drive through 10 to 15 inches of water every time it rains. This city of 2 million people has no rain sewers and only 20 ft difference in altitude from the highest to lowest points, but leave the city and the regular roads are often mud, dust, or crossing rivers. Standard air intakes are usually higher, in the door frame, or protected.

I don't believe anything should be sold for off-road that isn't capable of off-road performance.

I expected to see globs of water in the intake, but the filter apparently was able to disperse it into a fine enough mist to not hydrolock the engine.

BTW, it has coolant.... Yellow. Just doesn't show in the pic I took with my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back