Snap-On Torque Wrench Rebuild Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, I called Snap-On today to get a quote on a rebuild for two of their torque wrenches.

Here are the prices they gave me:

1) Part # Tech2FR100 (3/8" Electronic Torque Wrench):

Calibration only-- $38
Repair and calibration-- $80

2) Part # QD3R250 (1/2" click-type torque wrench)

Repair and calibration-- $63

The prices vary by part number, but the prices are actually quite reasonable, especially for the electronic one. After all, getting a repair and calibration for under $100 for an electronic model really eliminates the concern about costly cost of ownership.

What needs repair? I lent my neighbor my 3/8 Snap on click torque wrench one time. He broke it by using it as a breaker bar.

After repair it only torques to the right. There was a company online that calibrated torque wrenches for about $25, although that was about 10 years ago. Maybe now they are closer to what you mention. Makes you wonder if someone had a calibration checker and charged less money that you could still make good money because people would get their torque wrenches checked more often......

As an update my Snap-on 1/2" torque wrench does not seem to be clicking properly lately, so I will need to send it in for calibration and repair.

There you have it! If this were a HF torque wrench, there would be zillion people dissing it :-(

I like the harbor freight 1/2" drive

the 3/8 I tried 6 and none of them clicked worth a [censored].. soundless. 3 of the 6 were extremely hard to adjust the torque setting after about 40ftlb.. felt like i was grinding off the adjusting threads.

the 1/4" which is 3-19 ft-lb or so only clicked at 15 or higher.

3 replacements later I got a decent one.

I think they just return the returns to the shelf so you are rolling the dice to find a good one.

so try before you buy..

or at least bring a socket and see if they click on your lugnuts.

I still like the 1/2" for lug nuts.

I'll be looking into upgraded ones for the 1/4 and 3/8 drive.

I needed a 1/4 drive for some engine bolts on a JD318 onan engine.
if you cant hear or feel it click its hard to tell when you reach 5lb

Last edited:
Ive used my snap-on torque wrench a ton and have had no clicking issues. Like Rand, some of the HF ones I once sampled when walking through the store were just horrid.

My favorite for a good wrench at a good price was the US made Kobalt from 10-12 years ago... Unfortunately mine fell off the back of the truck, literally, so I dont have it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back