Cut open filter q?s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a used MC FL-400s that I want to cut open to determine if the ADBV was bad or failed.When it was removed from my engine my friend just let the excess oil flow from it then I boxed it back up and have kept it upright since then.Before I cut it open should I be able to see oil in it,still? When I do cut it open should it stay upright as i'm cutting it? After cutting it open is there anything in specific to look for? Of course I will be taking pics at each stage.Any advice is greatly appreciated.
34.gif

I have not cut open a FL-400s but other Motorcraft filters I have cut were very full of oil, even after having been stored hole-side down for months. The silicone ADBVs usually seal really well, so don't be surprised if it is a messy process with lots of oil still in there. If the ADBV has failed you will likely be able to tell as it will be visibly torn, but in my experience that is a rare occurence.

Yes, should still be oil in there. Things I look for (others can also chime in):

- that the media is completely intact, no tears or holes
- that the ADBV still held oil, and is still flexible
- that the ADBV and bypass all seal well against the center tube

You can of course check the media for major particles, but I haven't ever seen a filter that has had that. Well, I have, but it was run *way* too long. I would say normal OCIs, probably fine.

It should still be full of oil. Every MC filter that I have cut open (no matter the position it was stored--up or down) has been full. It was VERY messy the first time I cut one open with my new filter cutter as I cut it base side down. I now cut them base side up, but there is still a small mess because there is oil trapped around the ADBV--keep the paper towels handy
wink.gif

There should be some tension inside the can from the spring pressing the element against the base plate.

Z06's trick of wrapping the element in paper towel for a day or two before taking final picks works well.

I can tell if an ADBV held is the filter seems heavier than a new one.

I cut my filters base down, but I usually poke a hole in the top and let them drain. This will also show how well the ADBV held.

I cut a new NAPA PS filter open a couple of weeks ago.I used a RIDGID tri-pod to hold the filter and my hacksaw to cut it open. I took my time and just rotated the filter as needed. I left my big (cuts pipe up to 4.5" OD) RIDGID cutters back in FL.
frown.gif

See this thread on how I did the ADBV test. Best to test it before you cut the filter open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...807#Post2042807

Originally Posted By: cp3
Z06's trick of wrapping the element in paper towel for a day or two before taking final picks works well.

Thanks ... yes, it does work well to help see what kind of crud is trapped in the pleats, and also makes it less messy to handle the media if you want to cut it out from the end plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back