Honda OE filter torque spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I learned something new today.

Although it sounds quite ludicrous, you are supposed to torque all Honda OEM filters (blue ones) to 8.7 ft-lbs - per the Honda FSM. I never believed it to be true until I found this:

http://honda.snapon.com/HondaAcura/ItemDetail.aspx?itemId=39801226

Apparently, Snap-On makes a preset 8.7 ft-lb torque wrench for the Honda Express Service technicians, that is to be used solely for the purpose of installing the oil filter.

From my past experience with the Honda OE filter, it does have an o-ring (like the Purolator filters) as opposed to a flat-gasket (i.e. Fram or Wix). When tightening by hand, it does stop fairly abruptly and feels that it could be/needs to be tightened a bit further, so perhaps there is a need to torque filters with an o-ring style gasket.

Thoughts on this?
crazy2.gif

Thoughts?

I bet there are over 100 million DIY Honda owners that do not use a torque wrench to tighten their filters and have had zero issues over the life of the vehicle.

So far, you can include me in that group.

Pretty cool that there is a Honda filter torque wrench. However useless it may be.

For now, my torque wrench is my oily hand

I'm Sure if you dig around More, you'll find there are Torque specs for filters on many cars, if not most.
I found a similar spec of ~8ftlbs for the filter on my Neon, but since:
a) neither of my wrenches goes quite that low, and
b) i've not had a filter gasket leak by hand tightening.

I'm Certainly not going to go buy a special tool for it.

I do torque the drain plug, but mainly so i don't end up cranking it gorilla tight. (first time i went to change it myself, the guys @ the quickie lube had put it on so tight, i was yanking on it for nearly an hour, and still couldn't get it to budge...)

Quote:
...... Although it sounds quite ludicrous....

Yep, ludicrous about covers it. 40+ years diy oc and never torqued an oil filter, including many many Hondas and it's never been an issue. Gasket(lubed) contact plus ~3/4 turn, check for leaks. But, if you choose to use a torque wrench, knock yourself out. Oh, 'absurd' would be another appropriate word.

Wonder how many Honda dealers torque the oil filter?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thoughts on this?

Failure to use a torque wrench with the Honda OE filter can lead to 1) undertorquing, which can cause oil leakage in cold weather; or 2) overtorquing, which can lead to a filter that's just about impossible to remove without the proper cap socket.

I always use an OE filter, and a torque wrench, and the OE cap socket.

Every Honda bike i have owned with a spin on since 1983 has had the same 10-12nm torque spec. They had the o-ring seal also.
Its critical and possibly life threatening on a bike anyway not to do it. Under torque they will leak possibly dumping oil right in front of the rear tire and over torque makes it a real bugger to get off.
With over 100 psi OP on these engines its real easy to get it wrong, hand tight doesn't cut it.

The new crank driven pumps can also put out a lot of pressure so i'm sure this is the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back