Mobil 1 TDT + MOS2; 10k miles; 7.3L Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over 10,000 on this sample. Anytime the numbers picked up a bit was when this truck was worked hard for that interval. Went from Mobil devlac 15-40 to mobil 1 TDT at 310,000 miles to get easier starting esp. in winter. This truck has a very strong running engine and, other than some advance knock from the chip under high fueling, has always been a smooth runner. I've been using Lubromoly MOS2 1 can at each oil change since approximately 160,000 miles. Original injectors and everything on the engine. Mobil 1, Motorcraft, or Bosch D+ oil filter depending on what I ate for breakfast. I'm very happy with this engine and these wear numbers. [img:left]http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=37968&mode=view[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: BituminousCoal
I've been using Lubromoly MOS2 1 can at each oil change since approximately 160,000 miles. [img:left]http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=37968&mode=view[/img]

That's a great run, but where is the Moly? It hasn't shown up in typical ranges since '05 & '07.

Using 1 can of MOS2 should be giving you much higher ppm's of Moly than what's being reported. Did you put in 1 can on this last OCI?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: BituminousCoal
I've been using Lubromoly MOS2 1 can at each oil change since approximately 160,000 miles. [img:left]http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file.php?id=37968&mode=view[/img]

That's a great run, but where is the Moly? It hasn't shown up in typical ranges since '05 & '07.

Using 1 can of MOS2 should be giving you much higher ppm's of Moly than what's being reported. Did you put in 1 can on this last OCI?

+1 on the Moly.

That truck holds about 4 gallons of oil. LubroMoly suggests one can for 4-5 quarts of oil. If the OP is only adding one can, there won't be much moly in the mix to speak of. You wouldhave tolook at a VOA of the M1 to compare.

Yes, there's 15 quarts of oil on this engine. I only add 1 can of MOS2 per oil change. I've noticed three things by taking oil samples on this engine. 1. wear increases a little when it's being worked hard (not too surprising) 2. when I double the drain interval from 5,000 miles w/ delvac to 10,000miles with mobil 1 TDT the moly drops to less than half at the time of an oil change compared to what it was at 5000 miles. 3. Mobil 1 TDT has better flashpoint (higher) but not viscosity than mobil delvac at double the oil change interval!?

Last edited:
I looked at the UOA and the Iron wear levels seem high compared to many cars I have seen is that normal for a 7.3 Powerstroke ? Have you notice any mpg improvement with the mos2 ?

Originally Posted By: DanMiller
I looked at the UOA and the Iron wear levels seem high compared to many cars I have seen is that normal for a 7.3 Powerstroke ? Have you notice any mpg improvement with the mos2 ?

Gee, it's about 4PPM/1K on the 11.5K run and just under 3PP1K. Really, nothing to complain about. Engines do wear and the buildup of iron continues the longer you run the oil but you can run until the iron reaches the MFR's condemnation level. IIRC, it's around 100 PPM for the PSD.

I am not saying the wear number are bad just that I don't know much about the 7.3 Powerstroke are those number good for a 7.3 Powerstroke have they improved with the MOS2 that is try I was trying to ask.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DanMiller
I am not saying the wear number are bad just that I don't know much about the 7.3 Powerstroke are those number good for a 7.3 Powerstroke have they improved with the MOS2 that is try I was trying to ask.

I'm not sure if it helped mileage or wear, but it has seemed to keep compression higher for longer on small diesel engines that put on hours quickly (equiptment and stationary diesel engines) so, I thought it might have an effect on this engine as well in the long run. I do know that the TDT vs. dino delvac seemed to really bump mileage in the winter and seemed to affect the unloaded fuel economy positively; the mos2 may have an effect as well, but like I said, the intention was more to prolong usable engine life and performance than to gain mileage or anything from a baseline.

Adding Moly is unlikely to improve the figures and the best full synthetic oils don't use it, including the High Tech Synthoils from Liqui Moly themselves.
I'm impressed by the figures and the TBN in particular, so this oil can last much longer, although I am surprised at the low Ca figure, which would tend to indicate this is not a good oil for high mileage engines.
It would be interesting to see what happens if you stop adding Moly, as the figures might improve because of adverse reactions with the oils own add pack. If it does not approve the use of an oil additive in the engine manual, then I would give it a miss.
LM are my local company and they make Moly additive for use with poor quality supermarket oils, not for major brand oils.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Adding Moly is unlikely to improve the figures and the best full synthetic oils don't use it, including the High Tech Synthoils from Liqui Moly themselves.

This statement is wrong in so many levels.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

This statement is wrong in so many levels.

Go check the VOA's for LM Synthoil and the top full synthetic Castrol oils that are in this forum. The real top performers don't contain any Moly, although many chaper HC and part synthetic oils do contain some.
There are several different types of Moly in use and the cheaper versions can cause corrosion. Adding too much is bad news as it directly interferes with the very fine balance of a good oils add pack. If you add Moly to some cheap supermarket brands it might well help improve the wear metals figures, but I have never seen a series of UOA results showing an improvement from adding Moly.

Go check the VOA's for LM Synthoil and the top full synthetic Castrol oils that are in this forum. The real top performers don't contain any Moly, although many chaper HC and part synthetic oils do contain some.

You need to get out more often. Mobil and Motul have moly in their top of the line oils. Liqui Moly is not even in the same league as Motul, much less Mobil. Mobil with moly is factory fills for so many OEM that LM and Castrol can only dream about. UOA results are not meant to be used for showing improvement in oil additives. You need to learn how to navigate this forum and read more. Here's a primer:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Very informative link...I also assume that it's hard to draw specifics from a UOA since oils do vary to some degree as do engine design and materials?

Of course none of those oils azsenthetic points to use the same form of moly added by the OP. There is a difference.

Ed

A couple of point I would like to make:

1) I wonder if the OP has used Mobil Delvac ESP 5W-40 and any UOA to share?

2) My research so far in this site and others has not shown any 'bad' interaction between Liqui Moly Mos2 and various popular synthetics (for diesels and gasoline vehicles). Could there be a motor oil that 'does not like' Mos2? Sure but the likelihood is low in my humble view. The most you would be doing is throwing away around $7 per oil change (or maybe more if you add more than a can per OCI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back