How complicated to install a new horn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The horn on my 2012 Impreza sound about like the car looks... wimpy and barely audible with much road noise. I want something that sounds like it comes from a Dodge RAM 3500. If I could afford it and had any room I'd buy a train horn, but I imagine it's much easier to just install a regular 12 or 14 or whatever volt horn that you can just plug and play pretty much.

So what's this involve and what's the cost going to look like?

It's very easy.

I've done this on two vehicles now. My 2007 Corolla had a wimpy horn, as did my 2008 Honda CR-V. For the Corolla, I installed two horns from Fiamm. A note and F note. Together, these sound like a proper horn. For the CR-V, I removed the two stock horns and replaced them with two stock horns from a Honda Accord. Again, sounds like a proper horn.

Most louder horns you hear are actually dual note (or more). Single horns sound wimpy, even if they're a strong note. A and F sound best, and are what the Accord's two horns are.

Check this out:

http://www.bgfl.org/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/

Click "chorded mode", click "saxophone", then click the A and F keys and hit "play chord".

You can use that to synthesize how different horns will sound.

Anyone remember the Cadillac "train horns"? They were C, F, A, and B as I recall.

For the life of me I can't find my horn!

Is there some non-standard horn somewhere in subarus? It sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine block (facing the engine from the front of the car), but I can't see anything...

A straightforward install for the most part, the best way is a U-pull-it junkyard and get the horns, bolts, wire harness and connectors off a donor vehicle, then find a suitable mounting spot to bolt on them on and splice into the horn wires on your vehicle.

I like the horns from late 80's to mid '90's Buick Park Avenues or Cadillacs. They often had the 4 trumpet horn option with 2 wire weatherproof connectors and are easy to remove from inside the engine bay on the front fenders. The two horn option will be marked with A and F notes, 4 horn adds D and C note horns. You make have to buy a few to get a set with the best sound, rust usually does them in. Other GM vehicles of the era will have the standard A and F horns, plenty loud if you find a nice pair.

You can also find them on Ebay but they're not cheap compared to junkyard prices and could still die on you anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wire-Delco-GM-...ies&vxp=mtr

I hate douchertones(no offense to you, just saying, thanks for the advice but nah). I want just a regular horn, but I can't replace it until I can find the one I currently have.

Last edited:
I think you have a different body style than my STI, but the horns on my car are in the middle of the grille behind the chicken wire. I can see them through the grille on a sunny day.
Normally they are in front of the wheels in the fender liner or between the radiator and the front bumper, but can be buried in compartments in the fender liner (my Malibu has the horn there).
Owners manual maybe?

I finally found the thing, it's practically on the ground, at the very bottom of the radiator. It'd require removing the whole bumper to do anything to it.

Any fullsize chevy truck has a really full sound. Anything straying from OEM will be douchie. Train horns for example, something every 6 year old wants, only $1,299.99 retail.

I installed an air horn and a push button on the dash in my old truck. Wasn't too hard because I left the stock one alone.

A Honda Accord horn is pretty loud for a stock horn. Might find one of those at a junkyard or ebay.

I might just buy one new online, but if I do run out to a junkyard what do I have to do? I've never done anything like that before. Do I pay for what I take, do I just drive up, do I call?

Yes, most louder horns use two horns: a high and a low. My camaro has two horns and when the low horn went out, my car sounded like a Honda when I honked so I just avoided honking until I replaced it. Wasn't hard at all. The most time consuming was getting to the horn (removing plastic splash guards) and getting my hands up into where they were installed.

The junkyards I've been to you just go to the car, see if the part is there, remove it and then pay at the exit. If they're modern, they'll have a website that shows their inventory. If not, you can just try calling. I actually got my used horn on ebay...couldn't find one locally.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back