Best 75W-95 manual transmission gear oil for BRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this message board and have been searching it for the best manual transmission geat oil for my Subaru BRZ. It needs to be a GL-4 and good with yellow metals. GM goodwrench 12346190 has been recommended but it is technically now called a 75W-85 by GM and I want to keep my car in warranty. Molekule do you have any recommendations?

The easiest and little cheaper would be to get Redline 75w-90 from amazon with prime shipping. That's the option I chose for my Dads pickup that needs gl4.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Amsoil MTG 75w90 GL-4.
Best GL-4 I've used. Way better than MT-90.

ABSOLUTELY! Best manual tranny fluid hands down! I've tried both and the amsoil blows the redline out of the water. Smooth as silk shifts every time.

"MG Gear Oil special II" or "other gear oil that meets API GL-3 or upgrade and SAE 75W-90 specifications". Then it adds Caution: Using a manual transmission gear oil other than "MG Gear Oil special II" may cause occurrences of rattling noises while idling and poor fuel consumption. I don't even think this oil is currently available in the U.S. My local dealership service manager inquired with the region service manager who said that this was unfortunate wording and that other oils could be used.

there is no hypoid gears sharing that MT oil on the non-awd brz so any 75w90 gl-4 designed for MT shifting(friction characteristics)

Last edited:
I'll probably give the Amsoil fluid a shot in my BRZ soon. The shift feel with the stock fluid degrades significantly at lower temperatures; it "sticks" in gear, and the 4-5 shift isn't smooth at all.

Another vote here for the Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL-4 manual gearbox oil. That has been a very smooth-shifting gear oil in every vehicle we have used it in. Must have very good friction characteristics for the synchronizers.

I decided to go with GM fluid 12346190. It is GL-4 and variably described as 75w-90 and 75w-85, so a lighter 75w-90 a real synthetic MT fluid with PAO's and esters and no group 3. Molakule highly recommends it.

I will only use factory Subaru "Extra-S" synthetic in my rally-cow. But I don't know anything about the BRZ trans. Is it a Subaru trans or a Toyota trans?

Good for the BRZ. It probably won't be picky about fluid. I've read many a thread on Subaru forums about people hurting their synchros while using fluid that "should" have worked, "met spec", etc.

I had a similar experience years back on a previous Subie. I've happily paid for factory synthetic from that point on and never had another issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back