Yamaha Zuma oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I purchased a new 2012 Yamaha Zuma for recreational fun for me and the wife. It has a 4 stroke 50cc engine. The owners manual does not say anything in regards to synthetic oil. I'm going to be running 10w-40 based on the what the manual says, it holds about 1 quart total. My question, Is synthetic oil an option for this 4 stroke?

I'm running a "home brew" of syn blend in my Yamaha Vino125 (also a 4 stroke motor).
It also has the cvt transmission so it's not a wet clutch design. Seems to start easier in the colder weather too.

no real performance gains but it doesn't burn any so that's a good thing
smile.gif

hartsky: I'd suggest Amsoil synthetic Scooter OIl. Its cheaper than Motorcycle oil and used widely by the guys I ride with who have 250, 400, 600 & 650 Scooters. If Amsoil not readily avail, use Valvoline motorcycle oil...most Walmarts, AZ, AA carry it. Nothing wrong with using good old dino oil either, especially if you change it frequently, I'd say every 2000 miles or less.

I don't have a Zuma but rather a Honda Ruckus. Also a 50cc 4 cycle scoot. I have always run rotella t6 5w-40. I like it alot. Motor runs great and I like the 5 weight for those cold spring and fall days. Also easy to find.

rotella t6 5w-40 is prefect if you can find it cheap.

Its a dry clutch bike so no worries that the oil will cause slippages.

I asked one mechanic at the yamaha dealer about running synthetic, "If you want to waste your money" was his reply. For what thats worth. I've also found I can get Motul, Amsoil, Repsol and Redline locally, along with the standard Mobil 1 and Valvoline. Alot of nice oils to choose from. Since the scooter only takes 1 quart, cost isn't an issue.

Hey thanks sunruh. Ive been reading alot via the search function and your name came up alot and Ive read alot of your posts. Valuable information. I'll order some maxima and give it a go.

Last edited:
if you have no intend to trick out the CVT in any way,

a good big brand mineral at specified viscosity will do well for your zuma.

If you do... redline 5W40 will get chewed up every 1000KM.

been working on zuma50/125's for a few years now.

small sump hi rev/hi temp, no joke.

much less so for lesser oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back