Overfill (or so says the dipstick) but not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my oil change on my 2008 xB the other day.. It required 4.3qts of new oil.I put in around 4.4qts (just above the last 1/2qt hash mark on the PP 0W20 5qt jug) and when I checked the oil level this morning, it is showing around 1/4" over the full mark after sitting all night. I noticed this on my last oil change as well that it was reading higher.

Can something happen to make a car start reading higher on the dipstick? My car now has 75K miles and always have used the same amount of oil and don't recall it reading high.

I know cars can handle overfill of around .5qt or more, so I am not that worried about that because I know I put the right amount in... But why would it read high now?

Thanks!

This can happen with some filters as there is not as much volume in them so it can mess with your oil level.

Did you drain the oil hot or cold? If cold or at least not hot, maybe there was a bit more residual oil left in the sump than usual.

Or, trying to get a precise amount of oil out of a 5 quart jug is hard as the bottle shape changes with the amount of oil left. You could pour the remnants of the jug into a 1 quart bottle to see if it is really .6 quart or 19 ounces.

I would only fill it with 4 quarts next time. Then after a good run and sitting overnight check the level.

Now if you had a Fumoto drain valve you could easily draw off about 10 ounces.

Yes, as others have said, there could be several factors:

- still a little oil left in the engine (my guess is this doesn't contribute a lot for you)
- the markings on the jug are not exact (again, probably not a major source of the 'overfill')
- filter you used doesn't hold as much as the OEM filter

I would say the last point is your major contributing factor, if I had to make a guess. What filter did you put on?

So, you've run the engine since the oil change, right? You could have some fuel dilution, which would raise level.

I have the same problem with my bimmer. It has a 6.5L sump
but I only put in 6L and it always reads about 1/8" past full.
I finally checked my dipstick with another one and found out
my dipstick was a little shorter. In your case this is happening now so I'm wondering if the oil volume in the bottles
are off, ie. litres instead of quarts.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So, you've run the engine since the oil change, right? You could have some fuel dilution, which would raise level.

UMM! Only if he put the fuel nozzle in the oil cap!

Some engines have at least 10% residual oil after draining even when hot, so if a car should hold 5 ltrs, just add 4 ltrs and check the dipstick, BUT don't add more than a half litre until the car is run again etc.

Last edited:
I did drain the oil hot after the engine was at full operating temp... Let drain for 20mins or so until it was barley dripping. Used OEM filter as I always do, not any type of aftermarket filter. Both sides of the dipstick reading same level. I only changed it two days ago and as far as I know, no fuel dilution issues... Never had that come up in any UOA I have done. I believe my garage is quite level, but it could be slightly tilted but not enough to visually notice (or feel).

My guess is I should just put 4qts in and adjust if need be afterward. Looks like I prob just slightly over-filled somehow for the second time in a row... I have noticed no airbubbles on the dipstick or anything after driving so it should not be too much of an issue.

Last edited:
Put in the amount listed in your owners manual. Then look to see where that amount lines-up on your dipstick..
Always use that oil mark on your dipstick as your full-mark, regardless if it meets the top-point on the dipstick.

Some dipsticks are deceiving because they often say 'Safe Mark' instead of Full Mark. Just because the maximum amount of oil in the manual doesn't line-up with the top mark on the dipstick, should never be interpreted as a need to add more oil to become full.

When putting more than what the manual calls for, you are over-filling.
Lastly, every manual from the top 7-8 auto manufacturers lists the maximum amount to pour AFTER the filter has been installed. Never assume you must add several ounces more because of the filter. The manufacturer includes the filter in their oil volume number specification.

I doubt if it is that critical, for example the Toyota 1zz engine increased oil capacity 1/2 quart(to lower piston ring temps) years after being into production with the lower capacity.

The manual calls out 4.3qt with filter... That is what I put in.

Just wondering why it reads high though... Ill just do 4 next time and adjust if need be afterward.

I have a 2012 XB and i'm pretty sure it calls for 4.5qts. Thats what I put in it everytime, and it comes right up to the full line. I change my oil hot everytime. I had a 2011 before this one too, and it reacted the same way. I bought both of them slightly used, and both times the dealerships had changed oil before I bought them. They both put a full 5qts. in them and the oil level showed way above full on the dipstick, about the same distance as there is between the add and full marks (1qt?). It seems like once you get above the full line, it doesn't take much to make the oil level read high on these engines.

I always trust the dipstick. Why would I spend even a second trying to measure out 0.3 or whatever fraction of a quart? Total waste of time that I can spend inspecting the vehicle instead.
So I just keep adding until I hit the full mark on the dipstick, which coincidently is usually at nice and even 4 liters.

Happened to me years ago. I was mystified for a while. Was a little gasket on the dip stick near the handle that fell off. Caused the stick to go in deeper resulting in the oil level appearing to be higher. Probably not the issues these days, but worth a look to see if anythings missing.

I have changed the oil every single time since I bought the car new... Always put the same in... Always the Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra 5qt jug, not 5.1qt or anything like that. Nothing was different, at all.

For some reason it just is reading high the last two changes... Not sure exactly why.

Maybe next time, before you drain, you can check the dipstick, and then measure how much comes out.

Then you'll have an idea of how much just does not drain.

Do you know if the filter specs have changed at all?

Just checked my oil level agian tonight, and while it read at the full line after changing it and running the car a few minutes to check for leaks, and then letting it sit a while (I do the same procedure everytime), tonight it read slightly above full, but the oil was hot and the car had sat for about 15mins. I normally check the oil first thing in the morning before leaving for work, So obviously the oil being hot has something to do with it. Got me thinking and was just curious if maybe you usually check it cold and this last time maybe you checked it hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back