Are Global or Universal ATF Oils Actually Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Global or Universal Transmission Oils Actually Good?

The latest one I have seen is Service Pro Premium Global Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Spec Sheet - http://www.service-pro.com/documents/WarrenSpecs/WA-GlobalFullSynMulti-VehicleATF.pdf

The list of fluids that it says that it covers is impressive with the only exceptions being Ford Type F, some VW, and CVT transmissions.

We are a full service shop and want to make sure we use the right oil that will preform as OE and not void any warranties. Thank you for any information.

Thank you for your post. Based on your post, I know that I will never use Service Pro products.

"May be used" or "suitable for" is not the same as "meets". Specifically, I know that it is technically impossible for "Service Pro GLOBAL ATF" to meet Ford Mercon V specs.
I think that a document that says "suitable for" that lists applications that the fluid does not actually meet is deceptive.

Transmissions are the least friendly to non-spec fluids. Sometimes its fine, other times its a disaster. That being said, Lubegard products are the only additives I would trust beyond OEM spec fluids. If you read the literature, Lubegard is the additive of choice to "tweak" a non-spec fluid for use in most transmission types. Its another option to a chameleon transmission fluid..

http://www.lubegard.com/C-110/Transmission

Some "universal" ATF's can cover a lot of specifications, and do it well. Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Amsoil ATF come to mind as jack of all trades fluids that really do live up to the billing. Those are both full synthetic fluids with robust additive packs that just plain work in many Detroit 3 and Japanese cars. The SP fluid might be of the same cloth.

I'd venture it's safe to use in something that calls for Dex-III, Z1, T-IV/WS or Mercon (not V). That covers lots of common cars out there. Something like a Hyundai or German make, I'd get the OEM stuff unless a universal fluid has shown to work well in that transmission.

Doesn't state Mazda FZ for the Skyactiv AT. I guess that's because it's a new super low viscosity fluid. It's dyed blue instead of red. A Mazda service tech told me that if they ever service the thing and find red fluid mixed into it they are supposed to call out the "Mazda Mafia."

carwrek

"May be used" or "suitable for" is not the same as "meets

I agree but have been told the word "exceeds" means that the fluid in question actually passed the MFG's test.

Amsoil says "RECOMMENDED".

I would have no qualms about using Amsoil ATF in any vehicle they recommend it for. Its in both my Chrysler vehicles now, and was in my 94 Camry and 93 Suburban. Both were running fine when sold, the Camry had maybe 224K miles with no transmission work (it did have a Magnefine filter also).

Quote:
SERVICE PRO® PREMIUM GLOBAL FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI- VEHICLE ATF
Manufactured with highly refined virgin base oils

Excuse me????

Originally Posted By: crazy8
carwrek

"May be used" or "suitable for" is not the same as "meets

I agree but have been told the word "exceeds" means that the fluid in question actually passed the MFG's test.

The op is a "professional", so I am holding his link and post to a higher "standard" (such as the basic fact that his post is a violation of BITOG rule 8)

"exceeds" might be fine if applies to a spec for cleaning or rust prevention.

In the case of AFT specs, Mercon V and Dexron VI have different viscosity ranges. It is technically impossible for ATF fluid to meet both of these specs.

There is no real legal definition behind almost all of the jargon you guys are referring to. Unless its licensed, it hasn't been tested, and any of the claims on the bottle are more then likely extrapolated from figures and not actually tested.

Most universal ATF work, but there has been many a cases of certain transmissions doing odd things, ranging from just shifting bad to completely eating clutch material and being utterly ruined.

"Meets", "exceeds", "recommended", "suitable for" all mean one thing.

It is not officially licensed. Period. For an ATF to be considered "suitable" it might just be as thick as licensed ATF but contain none of the same additives. Even if it has the same, or more additives, their claims it "meets" or "exceeds" are just hot air claims. The fact is it almost never is tested against the license spec...just built (often vaguely around) how the license spec claims it should be built, and only the oil manufacturer is giving you the suggestion it meets the license spec.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you are going to be servicing a multitude of vehicles with different specs I think this should work just fine. Of course the OEM fluids are said to be the only recommended fluid but quality multi ATFs (such as your servicepro, wolfshead and valvoline) will do a great job and your shop wont be full of 100 some odd OEM fluids.

That said I think it will do the trick and work well.

Those VW specs are for the 6HP26 six speed ZF transmissions in VW and Audi vehicles.

Where are you located in WI? I cannot find anywhere that sells the Service Pro stuff and I am a bit interested in their products. Thanks.

Edit: I checked out your website and see Eau Claire. To far away from me to be practical.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Those VW specs are for the 6HP26 six speed ZF transmissions in VW and Audi vehicles.

Where are you located in WI? I cannot find anywhere that sells the Service Pro stuff and I am a bit interested in their products. Thanks.

Edit: I checked out your website and see Eau Claire. To far away from me to be practical.

The Service Pro distributor is Halron out of Green Bay and Wisconsin Rapids. www.halron.com

Originally Posted By: carwreck

The op is a "professional", so I am holding his link and post to a higher "standard" (such as the basic fact that his post is a violation of BITOG rule 8)

Rule 8? I'm not soliciting this product or linking to a sales sheet. The link was just to show all the fluid types it says it can cover. I'm not a universal fluids type of guy but I always want to keep my door open to new products I hear about.
smile.gif

Of course, this is only my opinion, based on your post.

You posted a link about a transmission fluid, with no comments about the fluid. Your signature includes a link to your business that sells "Transmission Fluid Flush". The two facts together implied that this post may be an ad for your transmission service.

Originally Posted By: travsirocz

We are a full service shop

Rule 8:
8. Members agree that, except with the owner’s prior consent, they shall not solicit or promote any products services or other sites by posting direct links of any sales pages of any products in this forum.

And the link to your website that promotes products and services:

"Dewitz Diagnostic Solutions is a mobile automotive and light truck diagnostic service..."
"Dewitz Truck and Auto Repair....is your source for automotive light truck service and repair"...
We offer a complete list of services, so I will tell you about a few of our best and unique services instead of making a list of everything we are equipped to handle....
Transmission Fluid Flush..."

"May be used" or "suitable for" is not the same as "meets". Specifically, I know that it is technically impossible for "Service Pro GLOBAL ATF" to meet Ford Mercon V specs.
I think that a document that says "suitable for" that lists applications that the fluid does not actually meet is deceptive.

*YAWN*

This is a new revelation for you?

Take a look around at the countless Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Toyota, etc... owners with their super special ATF spec'd vehicles who have used "suitable for use" ATFs.

I haven't seen a SINGLE bad result in years of following this stuff. This is in regards to 'universal' ATFs like Maxlife, Castrol, Amsoil, etc.

Would I use a no-name, hard to trace, dollar store universal ATF? Probably not.

That last thing an ATF manufacturer is going to do is say their product can be used for 'X spec', when indeed it can't. In today's law-suit happy society they'd be out of business in no time.

Joel

Of course, this is only my opinion, based on your post.

You posted a link about a transmission fluid, with no comments about the fluid. Your signature includes a link to your business that sells "Transmission Fluid Flush". The two facts together implied that this post may be an ad for your transmission service.

Originally Posted By: travsirocz

We are a full service shop

Rule 8:
8. Members agree that, except with the owner’s prior consent, they shall not solicit or promote any products services or other sites by posting direct links of any sales pages of any products in this forum.

And the link to your website that promotes products and services:

"Dewitz Diagnostic Solutions is a mobile automotive and light truck diagnostic service..."
"Dewitz Truck and Auto Repair....is your source for automotive light truck service and repair"...
We offer a complete list of services, so I will tell you about a few of our best and unique services instead of making a list of everything we are equipped to handle....
Transmission Fluid Flush..."

My post is not soliciting oil products to this oil forum. My business link is only to my diagnostic page which lets you know who I am. You are digging pretty far to find anything about the flushes we do and why would I be soliciting flushes here? This forum is pretty far from my customer base. Do you know what soliciting means? If I posted that link and said have you guys tried this new product that seems to work really well. That would be soliciting. I have no connection to that company and we don't even carry their products as I was asking for informed answered from some forum users here which I have found to be beyond knowledgeable about oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
"Meets", "exceeds", "recommended", "suitable for" all mean one thing.

It is not officially licensed. Period.

Exactly. And unless it is licenced, you have nothing to hang your hat on for warranty. The auto maker will tell you where to go, regardless of how good the specs are. If it is not licenced to the spec called for, and you used it, you are on your own if something fails.

Maybe for a service center that can save cost by stocking fewer fluids, a Universal might make sense. For a home mechanic, use the right fluid for the job. You have to go to the store to buy the fluid, so why not buy the correct fluid? The only substitution I successfully made is to put ATF+4 in my wife's Hyundai, because the stock fluid is junk and barely lasts 20K miles. Tried Amsoil "Universal" ATF in a Chrysler minivan and Cadillac STS, drained it out within a week because the transmissions slipped too much. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back