PEAK 5W30 DEXOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
PepBoys has this oil for $3.20 a qt. They usually sell it for $7.19 a qt.What makes DEXOS oil different from any other oil? It states it is a G5-SN oil,whatever that means.
21.gif

I'm sure there's some technical mumbo-jumbo to go along with it, but i take the dexos certification to be like Chryslers' spec.
1) the oil company has given the auto maker enough money for them to license the logo to them
2) the auto maker tested the oil, and it meets their specifications
3) the auto maker double checked the books, to make sure they got enough money from the oil folks to let them have the "certification"

just my
49.gif

I did some research on DEXOS.All I can come up with is,it is speced for 2011 and newer GM engines,engineered by GM to exceed all oils out there,due to their superior testing and engineering. Can someone with more knowledge on DEXOS fill in the blanks for me,if any.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
PepBoys has this oil for $3.20 a qt. They usually sell it for $7.19 a qt.What makes DEXOS oil different from any other oil? It states it is a G5-SN oil,whatever that means.
21.gif

Wow! You can't even buy an empty oil bottle where I am for 3 dollars. Cheaper than the cheapest cooking oil and if Pep Boys want to dump it in some kind of pre Christmas rush I wonder what they paid for it in the first place? Must have been free from GM, so I would check the date and see if the additives have settled out.

Basically it has to be at least synthetic blend and be able to handle the OCI the on board computers put out. Should be pretty decent oil from that idea...I would feel fine running it out to 5k miles or more.

I wouldn't worry too much about additives settling out...It can't be that old to even be a worry if it's SN rated oil. Also Dexos is a relatively new oil spec, so no worries. I wouldn't get concerned about oil sitting around unless the container is ripped or it's archaic.

Dexos 1 spec has a little better oxidative stability, lower NOACK (like 14% instead of 15%) over the basic SN-GF5. There is nothing extremely special (Most blends like Pennzoil Gold, Valvoline Durablend are being marketed to fill the Dexos 1 demand.

$3.20/qt for the PEAK Syn (only if it is the "syn") is a pretty good deal as it is a decent 6-8k oil. Lubes like QSUD, PP/PU, and M1 really beat the Dexos1 Specs.
Go to the Lubrizol website and it has a little spider graph comparison between SN/GF5 and Dexos 1.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Dexos 1 spec has a little better oxidative stability, lower NOACK (like 14% instead of 15%) over the basic SN-GF5. There is nothing extremely special (Most blends like Pennzoil Gold, Valvoline Durablend are being marketed to fill the Dexos 1 demand.

$3.20/qt for the PEAK Syn (only if it is the "syn") is a pretty good deal as it is a decent 6-8k oil. Lubes like QSUD, PP/PU, and M1 really beat the Dexos1 Specs.
Go to the Lubrizol website and it has a little spider graph comparison between SN/GF5 and Dexos 1.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/472195/208/

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

Yep, the NOACK has to be lower, it is 13% for the DEXOS spec.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Is that good or bad?
21.gif

It's good (low noack means lower volatility).

Whether or not you hate the way GM licenses it, Dexos is a good oil spec. Dexos1 is a set of specifications geared toward normal gasoline engines and dexos2 is more for diesel engines. This peak oil is a bit vague about which one it meets but I'll assume at least dexos1 as it says "PEAK 5W30 dexos approved motor oil exceeds all GM dexos motor oil specifications for worldwide warranty requirements for all GM automotive gasoline engines currently in use."

A dexos1 oil will be certain to give a good balance of fuel economy, wear and engine cleanliness/deposits. See the spider diagram (link below) and compare dexos1 with plain SN. (BTW. select dexos1 under "GM-opel", and SN under "API").

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/orig...p/pc/index.html

Last edited:

Is that good or bad?
21.gif

NOACK is basically how much oil can "burn off" at high temps. Lower is better in this aspect.

Originally Posted By: uart

Is that good or bad?
21.gif

It's good (low noack means lower volatility).

Whether or not you hate the way GM licenses it, Dexos is a good oil spec. Dexos1 is a set of specifications geared toward normal gasoline engines and dexos2 is more for diesel engines. This peak oil is a bit vague about which one it meets but I'll assume at least dexos1 as it says "PEAK 5W30 dexos approved motor oil exceeds all GM dexos motor oil specifications for worldwide warranty requirements for all GM automotive gasoline engines currently in use."

A dexos1 oil will be certain to give a good balance of fuel economy, wear and engine cleanliness/deposits. See the spider diagram (link below) and compare dexos1 with plain SN.

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/orig...p/pc/index.html

What I find interesting about that is it has the new Ford Spec 5w-20 for ecoboosts on there for M2C948-B. It looks like if you would be able to get a DEXOS and 948 spec oil, you'd have one heck of a good oil!

What I find interesting about that is it has the new Ford Spec 5w-20 for ecoboosts on there for M2C948-B. It looks like if you would be able to get a DEXOS and 948 spec oil, you'd have one heck of a good oil!

Yes that 948B looks like a really good spec too.
smile.gif

When you look at the Ford 948-B on the spider diagram it looks a lot better than dexos1 on "soot thickening", but that's because soot thickening is not even a requirement for dexos1 (it doesn't mean that it is bad in this regard, only that it's not in the specification). It is of course in the dexos2 specification, as it's considered only relevant for diesel engines. Apparently the reason that GM split the dexos specs into "1" and "2" was for the very reason of allowing each to concentrate on specifications relevant to gasoline or diesel separately.

Can someone explain to me in the simplest way,without huge 3" long words,why GM made this type of oil? I also see it is back speced for older model engines.Would it work good in my engine (4.2V6) or,are there better choices out there?
34.gif

GM didn't "make" the oil. They made a set of specifications (dexo1 and dexos2) that oils would have to meet in order to be certified for use in their modern gasoline and diesel engines.

Lot's of other car makers have their own specification (BMW LL01, VW505.00, MB 229.31 etc etc). What was controversial about dexos was the way oil makers have to pay a license fee directly to GM in order to display dexos certification. I don't really know the full story behind this, or precisely where it differs from what other car makers do. I only know that a lot of commentators were complaining about it when GM first announced it.

My point was, ignoring any politics regarding the licensing etc, just looking at the specifications themselves, dexos is a good spec.

Last edited:
I thought the Eco-Boost was speced 5W30?

They do in the US. In Europe they developed a 5w-20 spec oil for the ecoboosts.

Look on the bottom of the bottle. It'll probably say WPP or something like that. If so buy it. Good product at good price. Warren makes pretty good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back