2 channel vs. 5.1 surround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what everyone here prefers. I have a 5.1 Yamaha system, but there are many times while watching a movie, be it modern or old, I like to switch it to the basic 2 ch left and right while always using my sub.
Maybe I like the simplicity of the 2 ch. Sometimes the 5.1 sounds "overprocessed". Maybe I'm not an audiophile looking for every nuance of sound that a film produces, but the 2 channel sounds strong and pure to me.
What do you all prefer?

Ive never been all that impressed by surround sound. Maybe its just me, and Im not that much of a movie buff.

But for critical listening, which I enjoy, I like my 2 or 2.1 systems.

I prefer surround sound when watching movies. 2.1 can still be good though.

I wasn't that big of a fan of it at first, but newer movies and receivers make better use of it.

Last edited:
i have a 7.1 system with 400w powered sub and enjoy 5.1 for movies & normal tv viewing. for stereo or CD listening 2 channel is ok, but 5.1 covers the room better with lower volume.

You may need to adjust your options. All speakers should have roughly the same volume and the sound should reach you at the same time. The system should let you set volume and distance.

Sometimes I find the need to adjust the center speaker volume from one movie to another to make speech clearer, but that's about it.

Yamaha 7.1 which usually runs in 5.1 with a 60" Plasma and Blu-Ray puts me as close to being in a movie theater as I can be. I am watching Iron Man 2 as I type this and the "Shoot to Thrill" intro scene sounds amazing.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Just curious what everyone here prefers. I have a 5.1 Yamaha system, but there are many times while watching a movie, be it modern or old, I like to switch it to the basic 2 ch left and right while always using my sub.
Maybe I like the simplicity of the 2 ch. Sometimes the 5.1 sounds "overprocessed". Maybe I'm not an audiophile looking for every nuance of sound that a film produces, but the 2 channel sounds strong and pure to me.
What do you all prefer?

Depends. Stereo done right can easily beat surround done wrong...hands down. The issue is doing the later right: matching front-to-back & subwoofer levels, speaker placement (including height), proper set-up of your Yamaha surround options, etc.

You can match FL to FR to RR to RL levels by ear, but it's easier to use a sound level meter.

It also depends on how well 5.1 was mixed as you can have a lousy 5.1 mix just like you can have a lousy stereo CD. Explosions, helicopters, jets, bangs, swooooosh's, zooms on many popular discs are way over the top IMHO. You're assaulted rather than entertained. Too much emphasis on 'effect'. This you can't fix as the mix is screwed up. You just have to turn it down.

If stereo sounds 'strong & pure' and 5.1 sounds 'overprocessed', it could also be different speakers front vs. rear. Is this the case? The dB levels of the effects could be causing them to distort.

For myself, I've been watching a lot of old B&W movies that are mono! Some are scratchy, like old records. SS is turned off for them.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
What do you all prefer?

Depends. Stereo done right can easily beat surround done wrong...hands down. The issue is doing the later right: matching front-to-back & subwoofer levels, speaker placement (including height), proper set-up of your Yamaha surround options, etc.

You can match FL to FR to RR to RL levels by ear, but it's easier to use a sound level meter.

It also depends on how well 5.1 was mixed as you can have a lousy 5.1 mix just like you can have a lousy stereo CD. Explosions, helicopters, jets, bangs, swooooosh's, zooms on many popular discs are way over the top IMHO. You're assaulted rather than entertained. Too much emphasis on 'effect'. This you can't fix as the mix is screwed up. You just have to turn it down.

If stereo sounds 'strong & pure' and 5.1 sounds 'overprocessed', it could also be different speakers front vs. rear. Is this the case? The dB levels of the effects could be causing them to distort.

For myself, I've been watching a lot of old B&W movies that are mono! Some are scratchy, like old records. SS is turned off for them.

Interesting what you said. I've played with every sound option that Yamaha has on this Home Theater system. I've played with moving the speakers around too. All of them are the original ones that came with the system. I have to say that they do sound good. Some of the pre programmed options sound pretty good. But when its in 2.1 mode something about it sounds cleaner.
But I also agree it all depends on the DVD or Blu Ray being played too. Sometimes they overdo it with the special effects processing.

Quote:
Interesting what you said. I've played with every sound option that Yamaha has on this Home Theater system. I've played with moving the speakers around too. All of them are the original ones that came with the system. I have to say that they do sound good. Some of the pre programmed options sound pretty good. But when its in 2.1 mode something about it sounds cleaner.
But I also agree it all depends on the DVD or Blu Ray being played too. Sometimes they overdo it with the special effects processing.

Hmmm..interesting. Good to hear you've taken the time to experiment with the options and moving speakers around..few take the time to do that. Or put their LCR's on top of the tall entertainment center and wonder why it sounds poor. You're there, I'm not. So go with what you hear.

SS processors/receivers are quite complicated these days. I use an old Citation 7 SS/preamp which doesn't have 5.1, 7.1 etc. It uses Jim Fosgate's decoder when HK bought them and built the Citation in Madrigal's plant in CT. It's not x.1 compliant, so I'm unable to offer any feedback from my end. It does sound excellent, however it's still source-limited like everything else. GIGO.

Todays hollywood tends to OVERDO A LOT of special effects processing, thinking they can sell the sizzle of a steak. . . that tastes like cardboard. Which is why I've been watching a lot of old B&W mono movies made way before I was born. What they lack in 'special effects' and 'surround sound' they more than make up for in excellent plots, character development, actors, production, and sophistication. It was a different time and quite rare by todays standards [sic]. Retro content on modern electronics.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive never been all that impressed by surround sound. Maybe its just me, and Im not that much of a movie buff.

But for critical listening, which I enjoy, I like my 2 or 2.1 systems.

Ditto - I love my 2.1 for music, and music is my priority for my audio set-up, and I put it together for critical/music listening.
However, it does (for me) fine with movies too - packs quite a punch when needed, and as the system is more music/vocal inclined, well recorded movie dialogs sound very nice on my system...

Never really got into the whole 5.1, 7.1 etc etc...probably never will.

What do you all prefer?

Easy answer here, even despite all the bashing I'll get.

We run a Bose V35 in our home theater setup. Only one very small box for equipment, about the size of a Blu Ray player. Speakers are almost unnoticeable, soundstage is always impressive, and you can easily switch to whatever sound processing you want, from mono to full Dolby surround.

When I want to play an old CD or some vinyl I can just push a button for old fashioned stereo. But good movies (not all) are always impressive, and just yesterday I actually got up to see what was going on outside my door and it was just the football game I was watching! It's almost eerie how spacious this system can make a small room feel.

I really think most of the bad press about Bose is simply due to poor DIY installation/calibration. Any audiophile knows placement is everything, and I have NEVER had this level of image and definition in my life, and I am used to spending a lot more for my sound systems. Not to mention racks and racks of equipment, wires, power strips, giant speakers, etc.

Besides, sound is highly subjective, and if I'm happy then who cares what others think. But my closest friend who is an avid sound nut just loves this equipment. It's much more than all the Internet chatter would indicate.

I agree, BOSE makes a fine product. No doubt. People need to experiment with their sound field that they are working with.
Every brand sounds different.
I have a Bose system in my car and truly love it.
I've heard all the bose bashing before too. no highs, no lows....its gotta be bose, etc... Most people pull it out of the box and expect it to perform flawlessly from the get go.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
What do you all prefer?

Easy answer here, even despite all the bashing I'll get.

We run a Bose V35 in our home theater setup. Only one very small box for equipment, about the size of a Blu Ray player. Speakers are almost unnoticeable, soundstage is always impressive, and you can easily switch to whatever sound processing you want, from mono to full Dolby surround.

When I want to play an old CD or some vinyl I can just push a button for old fashioned stereo. But good movies (not all) are always impressive, and just yesterday I actually got up to see what was going on outside my door and it was just the football game I was watching! It's almost eerie how spacious this system can make a small room feel.

I really think most of the bad press about Bose is simply due to poor DIY installation/calibration. Any audiophile knows placement is everything, and I have NEVER had this level of image and definition in my life, and I am used to spending a lot more for my sound systems. Not to mention racks and racks of equipment, wires, power strips, giant speakers, etc.

Besides, sound is highly subjective, and if I'm happy then who cares what others think. But my closest friend who is an avid sound nut just loves this equipment. It's much more than all the Internet chatter would indicate.

And I think we need to factor in individual taste. Most on here are familiar with my unconventional setup that, despite being a bit of an abortion in terms of component selection, and most CERTAINLY not "audiophile grade" with my big Yorkville amp and Bravox subs (I added a 2000W capable EDX since we last discussed this...), puts any cinema I've been in to shame in terms of sound reproduction. (And feel free to use that comparison as your benchmark for judging my criteria for sound here, I've never professed to be any sort of audiophile and would never commit to the amount of money it requires to achieve that "status")

Bass that gives you heart palpitations and clean, clear sound at the volumes that I find necessary to make an action movie "work" for me.

But my wife hates it.
21.gif

She finds the bass overwhelming.

I like movies loud. I like my music loud. But I can't stand either if they aren't clean. My setup does that job.

Ultimately, just like with cars, we need to find what works for us. We are all different and just because some magazine critic says you need 50K worth of McIntosh gear setup by a Swedish surgeon who moonlights as the soundstage designer for the philharmonic doesn't mean that for your ear, it is going to be "the best".

For everyday TV watching I like the 5ch stereo mode on my Pioneer Elite reciever, sound is all around you vice coming straight at you from the front, plus the SUB is still kicking in the lows, when watching movies the reciever reverts over to 5.1 surround
cheers3.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Bass that gives you heart palpitations and clean, clear sound at the volumes that I find necessary to make an action movie "work" for me.

But my wife hates it.
21.gif

She finds the bass overwhelming.

I like movies loud. I like my music loud. But I can't stand either if they aren't clean. My setup does that job.

Ultimately, just like with cars, we need to find what works for us. We are all different and just because some magazine critic says you need 50K worth of McIntosh gear setup by a Swedish surgeon who moonlights as the soundstage designer for the philharmonic doesn't mean that for your ear, it is going to be "the best".

I agree. I like movies and music loud, my wife and my kids don't.

She likes her steak rare and her brother likes his steak well done, I like my steak medium rare and nobody is wrong.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I agree. I like movies and music loud, my wife and my kids don't.

She likes her steak rare and her brother likes his steak well done, I like my steak medium rare and nobody is wrong.

Absolutely. My wife can hear a pin drop at the other end of the house! I have bad ears from decades of working with noisy equipment every day. She likes thudding boomy bass, and I like a tight, clean sub.

Everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back