Post your winter rubber!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: ottomatic
Anybody running Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance? I was just pricing a set today for Jetta. rated 10 for snow & rain

If they're anything like the Assurances that were OEM on my Magnum, they do a superb imitation of R-compound autocross tires in the snow! The car was undriveable in 2" of powder.

They are not. The ones you have OE on your magnum are old comfortred, different tire. Tripletreds are phenomenal for what they do, give you the best traction. They ride a little rough, are a little louder than your standard grand touring all season tire. When it comes to traction in wet and snowy conditions though, you will be hard pressed to find a better all season tire. Just make sure you rotate them regularly or they will cup very easy.

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna buy em. I've always had great mileage & traction with Goodyear SA's on my trucks.

Last edited:
Altimax Artics...put them on last week for the snow storm...unfortunately the forecast now shows no snow and well above freezing temps until the end of November...probably taking them off this week if that remains true.

For this winter, the Jeep is staying on its fairly new set of 255/65R16 Toyo Open Country A/Ts.

If I suddenly end up with extra money (this probably won't happen until next winter), I'll be throwing a set of 245/70R16 Hakka Rs or Hakka 7s (haven't decided if I want studs or not) on my other set of stock rims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX
215/65R16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
http://colt45.ws/cvn/spwintersport.jpg
Click for full.

Everything I have heard about those tires has been good. Mind writing up a small review for us by the end of this winter sometime ? Unless you've had previous experience with these as well that you can write about.

Well, I have driven on them in the wet and dry for about a thousand miles now. Ive found them surprisingly capable. Feels more like an all-season tire than a snow tire. Previously I had Blizzak WS-60s in the same size for my winter tires. I called them marshmallow tires for a reason. Unpredictable when pushed, too, so I hardly did it. Trying to counter understeer with throttle was counterproductive as the rear tires would then lose grip and send the butt careening around.
Thats not what they were designed for anyway. They were for snow and ice traction at the practical exclusion of everything else. When doing the same trick in snow they hooked so quickly it was scary sometimes how good they were.
These Dunlops have more squish to them than my summer tires; but thats to be expected coming from 255/45R18s. But, I have played on them some and while less capable then my summers for obvious reasons, they are nicely controllable. Playing on them is fun and not a white-knuckle affair by far.

I have been lulled into a (hopefully not too 'false') sense of security by the past couple of super-mild winters, so I am going to attempt to get by with my full treaded BFG g force Super Sport all seasons this time.

I spoke with the Michelin/BFG techs, and they claimed these are tested in, built/compounded for, and good for (without freezing into blocks of ice, or being permanently damaged/heat cycled) about -25*F ambients (dry, of course!).

GoodYear UltraGrip 8's on the Volvo 205/55/16. Second winter for these, they actually have been on since last year as I didn't use the car much from July - October and May-June was pretty wet and not that warm.

I'd rotate back to front however to ensure even wear, only about 2mm difference front to back.

Not sure if there is a US equivalent but they are a little noisy at lowing speeds and have a slightly squishy feeling when driving if that makes sense, but appear to be wearing well.

Costco has a 20% off offer when you buy 4 tyres till 25th Nov and hoping to out some Michelin Energy tyres to one side for March. £64 a tyre after discount! Cheap for the UK.

The GoodYears cost £110 each fitted and balanced last October and have about 20k miles on them.

2003 Audi A6 - Hankook Ice Bear W300 235/45/17 that I bought used 2 years ago for $100.

I'll run them this winter and right through the next summer to get the most out of them and then they will be replaced with Nexen WinGuard Sport in size 225/45/17.

I really only need them ~4 months in WI, so no need to spend the big bucks on high end tires.

The Mountaineer just rocks the Yoko Geolander A/Ts for the entire year. My wife drives sloooooow, so they are sufficient for her needs.

tires1.JPG

Cooper Weathermaster WSC without the studs (illegal here in Minnesota)

These are mounted on OEM rims for my 2010 Ford Flex with the ecoboost engine

2009 328i: Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFTs on 16x7 Sport Edition F10 wheels

2007 Mazdaspeed 3: Cooper Zeon RS-A all seasons on OEM wheels

2004 X3 2.5: Cooper Zeon RS-A all seasons on OEM wheels

1999 Wrangler: Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT(winter rated)

98 BMW 328is:
Continental ExtremeWinterContact in 205/60/15

8186377727_bb23cba23e_b.jpg

I'm going into my third winter with these. They have been great each year. Dry/wet grip has been good and I tend to drive aggressively and they handle it well (for a snow tire). I have always put them on mid-November every year. It's an easy switch as they're on their own set of wheels.

Wear has been good (haven't taken exact measurements but plan to).

New:
5195708727_81724a3639_b.jpg

Now:
8187441722_6c311213b5_b.jpg

General Altimax Arctics. On my vehicle for the third winter, best winter tire I've used to date, hands down. Will probably get one more winter out of them before I need to look for something else.

I ran Altimax Artics on 2 cars. They were excellent considering the price. This winter I'll be running OE: LT Silent Armor ProGrade (with snowflake symbol) on truck, and Michelin Latitude on Jeep. If we get a lot of snow, I might consider dumping the Latitudes. They are way too wimpy for a Jeep. They do ride nice, and get nice MPG though.

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3's are currently on the Roadmaster Wagon as the summer only tires needed to come off already (Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sports). They will be getting replaced before winter really hits as they are 6 years old. Probably going to get Blizzak DM-V1's.

The Grand Prix still has the Assurance Fuel Max tires on it but once winter actually shows up I'll put on the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2's.

No need for true winter tires on this truck...you can't really see it, but there's a LOT of factory siping in these tires...they are fantastic in snow, best tires I've had yet in ice as well.

10-2011003.jpg

10-2011004-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back