Tapping alum scope mount- good subst tap fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a good substitute tapping/cutting fluid for a *small* tapping job into reasonably high-grade aluminum? And I do mean small- a B-Square universal scope mount for a Ruger MK .22 auto pistol, the problem section is about 1/8" thick. I'm about to retap a hole from a stripped #10-32 to metric M5, .80. It will make a much nicer repair than going super-kludge with a longer screw & nut. The new tap was $3.99, the metric screw(M5-30, .80) $.85. Sadly, local Ace Hardware did not have any Tap Magic.

Over 30 years ago, I was told by a good machinist to always use *something* when tapping- said plain old kerosene was better than nothing. Seem to recall he liked some household substitute in particular for aluminum, but can't remember what(Miniscule brief glimmer here, don't laugh: Crisco?). I have kero(charcoal fluid), oils(3-1, "turbine", motor oil, Molakule's Purple Problem Solver) lighter fluid &/or Coleman fuel(for thinning oils?), greases- including SuperLube synthetic, WD-40, Hoppe's #9, Schaeffer Penetro & some othr good penetrating oil.

Any ideas? Or am I way overthinking this? Any & all help appreciated, TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have cut threads in aluminum with FP-10 which is loaded with EP.

Of the ones you have on hand, I would easily go with Purple Problem Solver.

Make sure to go slow and clear chips often.

WD-40 would be the easiest to obtain and use.

You could also use 5w-20 motor oil, or any grade you have. Olive oil will also work.

Crisco also works great. I have used Crisco to re-thread cylinder heads while they are still on the motor. The metal chips stick to the Crisco and are removed with the tap.

Last edited:
OK- others I have:*Fuel Power for oil, good one, I didn't think of that before; Marvel Mystery Oil; Mopar-spec ATF+4; Abu-Garcia silicote oil; Inox MX-3.

Thanks guys. the remains of Molakule's Purple Glurple is right here at hand, a few drops of it & I can do < 5 minutes of tapping after all this stalling.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back