White milky liquid under oil cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's condensation of water vapor and oil mist. It collects there on a lot of cars in the winter months. The best thing you can do is get the car out for a drive to full temp every once in awhile. I wouldn't worry much about it, it's quite common across all makes and models.

+1 on what bepperb said, you need to take it out for like 20mile drive to get everything hot and up to temp.

adam

Does the oil on the dipstick look brown or black? I hope there are no streaks of light brown or cream in it.
If you are a short tripper like myself, the OCI should be half the manufacturers recommended OCI assuming your engine is in good condition. If not then half the half figure again, but just do an oil change only as the filter will be good for at least half of the recommended OCI.
If your luck has run out and the oil is not a normal black or gold if new, change it immediately and head for your nearest good garage as the head gasket or oil cooler might have failed.
Also check the coolant for signs of loss and oil contamination. If all is well then go for a good highway run every month minimum and try not to park too near the Atlantic.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
is i because i use pennzoil?

No. It doesn't matter what oil you use. Like the other
members stated, it's from moisture/water condensation.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

Probably correct, but it's rare to see creamy deposits under an oil cap unless the car only ever does very short trips all winter and is parked outside in a real damp spot. Best to post a picture if possible.

Originally Posted By: skyship

Probably correct, but it's rare to see creamy deposits under an oil cap unless the car only ever does very short trips all winter and is parked outside in a real damp spot. Best to post a picture if possible.
it was not a cream really, more like watery white liquid, and yes lately its getting colder and I do really short trips, I have to drive it for at least 30 min to get the benefit.

my previous motorcycle, a 2008 Buell Blast, had the same thing going on...it would have milky oil inside the drain tubing and the air box (part of the evap system had a breather line that introduced unburned gas & oil back into the mouth of the carb to be reburned); it happened alot in the airbox if I topped off too much oil

Different oils can form the milky stuff a little faster or a little slower but not by a whole lot. The water is still there. If you find an oil that produces the white stuff more slowly, isn't that because the water is being held in the oil that's actually circulating (possibly producing acids there) instead of making the white stuff up top coating the fill cap or valve covers where it isn't much of a problem?

Originally Posted By: yonyon

Different oils can form the milky stuff a little faster or a little slower but not by a whole lot. The water is still there. If you find an oil that produces the white stuff more slowly, isn't that because the water is being held in the oil that's actually circulating (possibly producing acids there) instead of making the white stuff up top coating the fill cap or valve covers where it isn't much of a problem?

Name those oils with proof.

Originally Posted By: skyship

it was not a cream really, more like watery white liquid, and yes lately its getting colder and I do really short trips, I have to drive it for at least 30 min to get the benefit.

This is simply oil emulsification , normal and not harmful . Occurs in colder weather usually on longer filler necks. No reason to have a heart attack. Pennzoil is not to blame for this , any oil will do this .

With proof? I'm not going to do that. It would be a lot more work than I'd be willing to do in the best of times and right now any energy I have is being spent on things like planning how to get back and forth to work, hygiene, juggling bills, getting essential supplies like food and clean socks.

Different oils can carry different amounts of water. If you want proof, look elsewhere. You'll find it.

Last edited:
Fine, go ahead and believe that all oils can carry exactly the same amount of water. I'm going to bed.

Good night...

The moisture is from condensation due to a cold crankcase, oil brand has zero effect on this issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back