Wix 51372 vs 57899 - Same filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking in an guide which lists Wix filters, it shows "57899" for my application, an '09 Caliber SRT4. This filter happens to be the same filter as all Dodge 4.7's, Hemi's etc, after they made the switch to metric threads in 07 or 08.

It cross references to Mopar MO-899, Fram PH2, etc.

Trouble is, when I cross-reference Fram PH2 or another vehicle that uses a Fram PH2 (ford module engines), it directs me to Wix 51372.

NAPA is where I usually find my Wix filters; there the "51372" is dime a dozen, since there's millions and millions of Ford modulars out there, it's probably one of the most popular filters. But 57899 is hardly ever in stock, usually I have to have them order it.

Which filter should I use, or can I use either?

The 51372 is a bit longer and very slightly smaller in diameter. Stated micron rating is the same pathetic 21 nominal (50% efficiency). You would be better off with a Motorcraft FL-820s, which is 93.7% at 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The 51372 is a bit longer and very slightly smaller in diameter. Stated micron rating is the same pathetic 21 nominal (50% efficiency). You would be better off with a Motorcraft FL-820s, which is 93.7% at 20 microns.

Where does it say 50% efficiency? I don't see it on the box.

While I do think there's incredible value in the FL-820s for the price, I highly doubt it filters substantially better than the Wix. I think most efficiency claims are creative marketing and nothing more.

I've used both, and they are both quality filters any way you measure it.

Still perplexed why the Wix catalog points Chrysler vehicles to a different filter (57899), instead of the normal PH2 cross reference (51372)...

Unless Wix is using nonstandard terminology, nominal means 50%. The efficiency of the FL-820s comes from Amsoil, who had an independent lab test several of the most popular OEM filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back