Quaker State

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, I used QS in my first car, the '75 Ford Maverick with the larger (ha!) six-cyl. engine. I changed every 3500 miles or so, and drove the car from 1976 to 1981 without any issues. I guess I was using the detergent oil!

I'm using the QS Defy in the Buick now, and it may have slowed the oil consumption. I'm at 2500 miles on the fill, and the oil is still within the cross-hatched area on the dipstick. On most of the non-HM oils I've tried since I've had the car, I've had to add a quart within that time -- and Castrol Edge gulped a quart in 1200 miles.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
As I recall, I used QS in my first car, the '75 Ford Maverick with the larger (ha!) six-cyl. engine. I changed every 3500 miles or so, and drove the car from 1976 to 1981 without any issues. I guess I was using the detergent oil!

I'm using the QS Defy in the Buick now, and it may have slowed the oil consumption. I'm at 2500 miles on the fill, and the oil is still within the cross-hatched area on the dipstick. On most of the non-HM oils I've tried since I've had the car, I've had to add a quart within that time -- and Castrol Edge gulped a quart in 1200 miles.

Oh you had the 250 Six Cylinder, I had the Mustang 200 Six in my 71 maverick. Quick off the line, then that was all it really had.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
As I recall, I used QS in my first car, the '75 Ford Maverick with the larger (ha!) six-cyl. engine.

Oh you had the 250 Six Cylinder, I had the Mustang 200 Six in my 71 maverick. Quick off the line, then that was all it really had.

Mine was no race car -- a 4-door sedan in that metallic lime green Ford used back then, no vinyl roof, with a matching cloth-and-vinyl interior. But it had good A/C, and got good mileage for those days, about 14-15 overall, I think.

At that time, I've have loved and cherished almost any car. I'd spent too many years riding buses and cadging rides from long-suffering friends. The Maverick was a Mercedes by comparison. And it was easy to work on; I had a lot of fun working on it.

Yeah, they sure were easy to work on. UNLIKE today`s vehicles. And to make matters even worse, they add engine covers!! I suppose thats to cover up the ugly motors underneath.

Last edited:
Quote:
"I do remember a few old men saying QS ans even Pennzoil would turn into sludge."

It was drilled into my head since birth by my grandfather and and my dad to "Never use Pennsylvania oil. Its dirty." (Thats how granddad referred to Pennzoil and Quaker State.)

When I was old enough to care, all I would touch is Castrol and Valvoline. I have to admit that stigma still lingers with me even though I know now there is nothing wrong with either QS or Pennz.

When I switched to Pennzoil Ultra in my truck it felt like I was doing something wrong. Every voice in my head was screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? THATS NOT CASTROL!!!"

But that was the first step of breaking free from those old myths.
smile.gif

That was a good myth that people created back then. My dad always used Quaker State oil or Kendall oil. I like the QSGB myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back