Time for mandatory inspections through the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with overk1lls last statement. but iam sure most states have general laws that cover lack of car maintenance. nothing will get my temper up more than people that wont get car insurance. i wont say what ill do if i loose an other car cause of no ins. but youll see it on the local TV news.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

To put things in perspective, 1 in 7 drivers do not comply with the mandate to have car insurance:
http://wainsurance.blogspot.com/2011/08/percentage-of-uninsured-motorists-by.html

Good grief! There must be some racket where the 6/7 pay an additional more-than-1/7 in comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage compared to if everyone had basic insurance. Otherwise the companies would buy politicians and actually have effective policing.

My state had about six months where the insurance companies submitted electronically when someone cancelled, and a car owner would get a letter from the state saying prove it within 21 days or your registration gets voided. They mysteriously dropped this requirement
27.gif
and you now just have to show a paper card to your town clerk upon renewal-- a card any idiot could photoshop etc.

Originally Posted By: morris
i agree with overk1lls last statement. but iam sure most states have general laws that cover lack of car maintenance. nothing will get my temper up more than people that wont get car insurance. i wont say what ill do if i loose an other car cause of no ins. but youll see it on the local TV news.

I know that feeling, man. I lost the nicest car I ever owned to a Mexican woman who lives around the corner driving drunk. It was such a consolation to hear that the uninsured motorist insurance I am legally required to pay for doesn't cover hit and run accidents. I wanted to do some terrible things to that scum sucking maggot, but didn't because it isn't worth going to jail for. The next time it happens, it still won't be worth going to jail for either.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I wanted to do some terrible things to that scum sucking maggot, but didn't because it isn't worth going to jail for. The next time it happens, it still won't be worth going to jail for either.

Just don't get caught!!

Originally Posted By: morris

In Pennsylvania, at least, if someone damages your vehicle with their vehicle and they do not have insurance, working with the local court (magistrate) you can place a lean against them for the cost of the repair with the Pennsylvania department of motor vehicles, and when they go to get their drivers license renewed they will be denied until they have the lean removed (pay up). Of course you have to wait for their drivers license to come up for renewal, and them to figure out that they will not be able to get it renewed until they pay off the lean.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
In Pennsylvania, at least, if someone damages your vehicle with their vehicle and they do not have insurance, working with the local court (magistrate) you can place a lean against them for the cost of the repair with the Pennsylvania department of motor vehicles, and when they go to get their drivers license renewed they will be denied until they have the lean removed (pay up). Of course you have to wait for their drivers license to come up for renewal, and them to figure out that they will not be able to get it renewed until they pay off the lean.

Interesting..

That's a long wait. License non-renewal seems to catch deadbeat dads in some states.

Can also see it generating an underclass of those who say "frigate" and roll unlicensed.

I would have to assume that one's own insurance company can pursue this in court most of the time to reimburse their payments under one's "underinsured" section of their coverage.

You think they bother to get a LICENCE?!

I agree 100%: there should be a mandatory inspection of personal identification at all US borders and voting booths.

As far as getting the Federal Guv'ment involved in inspections of used vehicles, it is as repugnant to me as a national salestax on all 2nd party sales.

You must be joking!

True in many states, but it's called a "lein".

This is a bad idea, my SpecV has no airbags, or rear seatbelts, or high-beams, or a horn, it would never pass...

guess it would be time to throw my dealer plate on it
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

In Pennsylvania, at least, if someone damages your vehicle with their vehicle and they do not have insurance, working with the local court (magistrate) you can place a lean against them...

True in many states, but it's called a "lein".

Might be true in some states, but in most of them, it's called a "lien"...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
This is a bad idea, my SpecV has no airbags, or rear seatbelts, or high-beams, or a horn, it would never pass...

guess it would be time to throw my dealer plate on it
whistle.gif

Hmm... if there were a safety inspection system set up in a "fair" manner such that you don't fail for problems that only affect the safety occupants it wouldn't be so bad. A system like that should only require that you fix the horn.

Most of the vehicles in the parking lot at work, while far newer than mine, are in terrible repair. Here's a few:
late 90's Ford ranger- severe rear frame rot with broom handles inserted into remains of frame to keep it from falling. The twine wasn't enough I guess
Mid 00's Chrysler minivan- this one drives 4 people in each day and has tires that I wouldn't use. This one is owned by the 2nd highest paid person on my shift.
mid 90's Pontiac grand Am- fist sized rust holes and no working windows: 2 stuck down, 2 stuck up and requires the driver to hold one hand on the headlight switch continuously for night driving. Passenger side front seat has been removed because front doors do not open. Engine also knocks.
'01 Rust-holero- this one has virtual slicks for tires, 2 broken lug studs on one front hub, holes I can fit an arm in, but has a good alarm system.

there are others, but these are some of my faves.

Some of the cars I have to install on
33.gif

There is one Jeep Cherokee....only the passenger rear door works. There are a bunch of toggle switches electrical taped together and wired directly to the battery with romex, routed through the broken out passenger vent window and under the bent up corner of the hood. They run the headlights, blower motor, wipers (one speed)...etc... The thing is such a rolling fire hazard, that it must have a bogus inspection sticker.

The near 300,000 mile Protege' that's been run on Trac ND30 has developed a very nasty knock. It sounds like the crankshaft is trying to beat it's way out of the engine block. The guy is still driving it. It shouldn't be able to pass inspection. It probably won't live long enough to fail next time.

There is a Mercury Tracer sedan that a tree fell on. The rear seat is unusable and the driver door requires a lot of forcing to open. Client is still driving it. Technically, it should pass. Everything works, just the roof in the back is caved in

Tires. Client with a whiskey dented 330ci. Has a "Triangle" brand tire, 2 very bald Contis, and some kind of chunky sidewall winter tire. Every maintenance 'minder and warning light is lit on the dash. The windshield is busted all to [heck]. He keeps it registered in Oklahoma so he doesn't have to pass any sort of inspection.

Get caught in Maine with no insurance is a min 100-500$ fine for 1st time, is Class E crime with up to 6 months in jail. If you have an infraction where you have accident with no insurance, your car is impounded and you make restituition or you dont get you car back until then. Also your insurance will go thru the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back