CEL with code P2177 and the cause.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Mazda 6i sport. I recently got this trouble code which means lean at idle. From research, it appears this is normally associated with a vacuum leak or sometimes a bad purge solenoid valve.

I have inspected my intake and all the hoses, tubes and air filter seemed tightly fit and no leaks or cracks.

The odd thing I did notice while checking this was that during idle, the RPMs were constantly varying, not by enough to show up on the tach, but enough to tell audibly.

Any; guesses what this issue is?

Last edited:
I pulled the MAF and it looked clean. If it is dirty would it be obvious by looking at it or could it be coated in something taht doesn't necessarily show up?

Might wanna take a look at the intake manifold, my 05 grand cherokee had a plastic one that ended up warping and allowed un-metered air into the engine causing numerous CEL's. A mechanic that I spoke to suggested spraying brake parts cleaner around the seals for the intake manifold and other vacuum hoses etc. If there is a leak the fluid will be sucked in causing the idle to fluctuate. That tells you where your leak is, I'd consult a mechanic to make sure this is applicable to your car.

I guess I'll just take it to the dealer. If it is a crack/leak, I don't have the ability to find it. I was hoping it might be a purge solenoid valve and that it would be easy to replace but it doesn't look like anyone thinks that could be it.

Buy an inexpensive vacuum gauge. Just because you can't see a crack or leak, doesn't mean there isn't one. Amazing how many things a vacuum gauge will test.

Dealer minimum charge for diagnosis only is about $100.

A can of CRC spray MAF cleaner is a good $5 expense. Can't really tell by looking. One can will do every neighbor, friend, and family member. Do not touch the element.

Last edited:
It was the purge solenoid valve. $200 to replace. No idea if that is a good price or not for a dealer repair.

Had the dealer change the oil while it was there with the PU 5w20 I brought.

As I left, I parked in the lot and ended up getting rid of the car!!! What a waste of oil!!! Now I'm driving a 2012 3i skyactiv with 6spd MTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back