Lubegard Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant - VOA

I add it to Valvoline, since it's low on calcium and moly. :3

By the way, Lubro/Liqui Moly MoS2 has gone up to $7.50 a can at Napa around here, while Lubegard is around $12 for 15oz bottles.

At that difference, I prefer Lubegard. MoS2 was better value at $5, but for $5 more now I can up phosphorus/soluble moly/calcium, why not?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

By the way, Lubro/Liqui Moly MoS2 has gone up to $7.50 a can at Napa around here, while Lubegard is around $12 for 15oz bottles.

At that difference, I prefer Lubegard. MoS2 was better value at $5, but for $5 more now I can up phosphorus/soluble moly/calcium, why not?

But you only have to put have a can or less of MoS2 to get ~150ppm boost in moly.

I add about a half a bottle of BioTech to every OCI in my wifes 2011 Santa Fe V6. Usually use PP but got lazy and the dealer installed Mobil 1... Very quiet running engine at startup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed

But you only have to put have a can or less of MoS2 to get ~150ppm boost in moly.

It's not about the amount but the quality.

However, that's not the point. You get more than moly. It isn't even about the moly for me, though.

I added to my previous UOA a report I just got in this week. It shows how LG spiked phosphorus, calcium, and moly. Unfortunately, who knows what it did with a larger coolant leak.
sick.gif

Last edited:

I added to my previous UOA a report I just got in this week. It shows how LG spiked phosphorus, calcium, and moly. Unfortunately, who knows what it did with a larger coolant leak.
sick.gif

Be careful Jim it might get blamed for that coolant leak. LOL

I just picked up 6 bottles of LG's Bio Tech and LM's MoS2 at Napa on Saturday.
BioTech was $13.99/15 oz. bottle, the MoS2 was $7.50.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

I just picked up 6 bottles of LG's Bio Tech and LM's MoS2 at Napa on Saturday.
BioTech was $13.99/15 oz. bottle, the MoS2 was $7.50.

Welcome aboard!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Lubegard BioTech is available in 32 oz bottle from Amazon for $20.xx, it's also available at O'Reilly at unknown price.

I've been watching that listing on Amazon for a year now. The product has never come available that I've seen.

And you gotta watch it on Amazon....some of the guys selling bottles for $10-11 are for 10 oz. bottles. The bottles I get at Napa are 15 oz. bottles. Yeah, $14/bottle is a bit much, and it appears I could have gotten it perhaps for a few dollars cheaper online....maybe next time.

But then again, they did have their Lubegard ATF-additive Red bottle on sale, and got 4 bottles of that for $8.99 each.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Lubegard BioTech is available in 32 oz bottle from Amazon for $20.xx, it's also available at O'Reilly at unknown price.

I've been watching that listing on Amazon for a year now. The product has never come available that I've seen.

And you gotta watch it on Amazon....some of the guys selling bottles for $10-11 are for 10 oz. bottles. The bottles I get at Napa are 15 oz. bottles. Yeah, $14/bottle is a bit much, and it appears I could have gotten it perhaps for a few dollars cheaper online....maybe next time.

But then again, they did have their Lubegard ATF-additive Red bottle on sale, and got 4 bottles of that for $8.99 each.

I bought a qt. of LG red and a qt. of Biotech Engine Protectant last month on Amazon, no problems at all. I got free shipping too.

I must be looking at it at the wrong time then.

Well, I got plenty now. So I have time to sit back and watch for a awhile before I need to re-up.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Can somebody describe what we are looking at? Lubegard products are regarded highly, is this a legit product?

http://lubegard.com/C-180/LUBEGARD+BIO-TECH+Engine+Oil+Protectant

Have an oil sample report with this product coming. Stay tuned!
laugh.gif

Looks great!

Nice boost to phosphorus, calcium, moly, and TBN as a result.

Boron in that amount is pretty much negligible once added to 4 quarts of oil, etc. As are any numbers lower. Such as sodium. Enough to spike a typical UOA by what...5-10 ppm, if that?

This will boost moly at least 150, calcium and phosphorous another 300 in most typical UOA we see.
Does Lubrgard increase fuel economy MPG ?

^I don't believe so. My app can't tell the difference right now, it has some coolant ingestion. This is throwing off economy. However, my MPG hasn't gotten worse with it.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder if that is Trinuclear moly?

I can tell you it is not MoS2.
What indicates this?

what their site says:
"LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)

emphasis mine

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Can somebody describe what we are looking at? Lubegard products are regarded highly, is this a legit product?

http://lubegard.com/C-180/LUBEGARD+BIO-TECH+Engine+Oil+Protectant

Have an oil sample report with this product coming. Stay tuned!
laugh.gif

Looks great!

Nice boost to phosphorus, calcium, moly, and TBN as a result.

Boron in that amount is pretty much negligible once added to 4 quarts of oil, etc. As are any numbers lower. Such as sodium. Enough to spike a typical UOA by what...5-10 ppm, if that?

This will boost moly at least 150, calcium and phosphorous another 300 in most typical UOA we see.

Wow, you chaps really have no clue how the add pack of a good quality major brand oil functions. Every additive that helps to protect an engine in wear terms or helps keep an engine clean, produces some kind of undesirable side effect. It might be a direct side effect like corrosion or deposits in the exhaust system, or it could be a case of interfering with the function of one of the other additives.
Liqui Moly have moved on as a company and their best high tech synthoils don't contain Moly and produce better results in wear and deposit analysis terms than the Moly containing oils.

The final add pack of a top quality major brand dino or full synthetic involves a balancing act between the various additives that takes a group of expert oil chemists quite a while to develop, so the idea that throwing in a can of extra additives is going to improve the performance of the oil is nuts.
I've looked at numerous UOA results of various oil additives and have never seen a good result from adding anything other than top up oil (Unless the oil used was a supermarket El cheapo special. I did think LM Ceretec might help, as the UOA results did seem to be slightly better, but after checking some longer term results in Germany, I am now suspitious it swaps bottom end for top end wear figures.

If you really want to improve the performance of your oil, then don't waste money on additives, just learn how to drive for max engine life, use the best oil filter and then do a few UOA's to figure out the best OCI. Then fit a good pre heater to reduce cold start wear.

Notice how I never stated it would improve performance?

Nice attempt to add context, though.
thumbsup2.gif

I simply was talking numbers. I understand what you are saying.

Seems to contain a lot of Moly and about the same amount of detergents as a good oil. It might well improve the performance of a supermarket or Fleabay special, but don't forget that the top of the range full synthetics don't use Moly as they don't need it and adding anything to those quality oils tends to result in sludge and increased wear.
I don't think it is approved by any major vehicle manufacturer, which means it's just another snake oil.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Seems to contain a lot of Moly and about the same amount of detergents as a good oil. It might well improve the performance of a supermarket or Fleabay special, but don't forget that the top of the range full synthetics don't use Moly as they don't need it and adding anything to those quality oils tends to result in sludge and increased wear.
I don't think it is approved by any major vehicle manufacturer, which means it's just another snake oil.

Well if it just leads to sludge we can put one of those idle flushes in that you so highly recommend.
As far as mos2 goes I've been using pp in my hemi,was using Amsoil in my mustang or whatever boutique oil was floating my boat at the time. Using these high quality oils I still got a fuel economy improvement with the mos2 additive added to the oil.
I use it in my generators and air compressors as well and as far as I can tell there isn't any sludge.
Sunkship likes to paint with a very broad stroke,which is fine under lab conditions where every variable is consistent however out here in the real world every driver,driving style and application is different. So in essence sunkship has a point but in the real world where there are so many different variables painting with such a broad stroke isn't always the right thing to do.
When dealing in absolutes you're going to find the world is one big gray area.

Back