I'm Losing My Mind...What Octane is Premium Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
In general, is it 91 or 93?

both here, 2 grades of premium...

here I see: 87, 89, 91, 93, and two stations have 94, one station has 110 but it is on a short hose

92 and 93 here at sea level in humid scorched earth land.
crushedcar.gif

What is considered "premium" varies by region of the country, and altitude. Generally, at lower altitudes, premium will be 92 or higher. But in California, it seems that the highest available is usually 91. In the Rockies, I believe the highest available is usually around 91.

I believe the reason why California is only 91 is that they are trying to lower the percentage of high octane aromatic compounds in gasoline. As for higher altitude areas, the higher the altitude, the thinner the air, and the lower the octane requirement. Oil companies have been cheapening out their product for decades in the higher altitude areas.

If the spec for the car is 91, and the choice at the pump is 89 or 93, use 93.

92 most places at home in Oregon, right now I'm in california on vacation and I only see 91. Almost ****** myself yesterday when I drove by a Shell station in long beach - $2.79/gallon for 87!
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
(only about 15 miles from a shell refinery!)

My home is in Pensacola FL, but I spend the work week in New Orleans where I'm stationed. I use either the base gas stations (all Citgo), Shell, or Chevron. The vast majority offer 87/98/93, although I sometimes see a 92 pump from time to time.

EDIT: oh yeah, in this area, the predominant price point seems to be 1.99/2.09/2.19. I pity California gas buyers.

I think California has to run "cleaner burning" gas, hence the 91 for Premium here. We have 87, 89 and 91.

The only place you can ger higher than 91 is at the race gas dealer or at the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back