How are champion spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am looking to do my first sparkplug job ( keep selling my old cars before 120k for good price )

i know NGK irridium are prob best sparkplugs out there, but i also dont want to spend alot if i can get something decent.

Pep boys has champion plantinum free after rebate for black friday and they have 4 bucks off coupon i can add for basicly making money after rebate , should i do it or only buy top tier stuff?

Cars an 06 corolla with 115k on it.

thanks

Last edited:
I would not use Champions in anything that didn't come with them as oem.

If I wanted to use a cheap plug in that application, I would try the Denso TT.

Last edited:
Meh....
21.gif
I prefer Denso and NGK regardless of the country of origin of the car.

I don't think Champions are any better or worse than Autolites. I do prefer Bosch Supers to Champion and Autolite but that reverses when I go to platinum.

Champion plugs are fine. Buying more exotic plugs is kinda pointless unless you have a specific need and/or want them to last longer. That being said the basic copper Champion/NGK/whatevers out there are all good general application plugs.

The only engine I'd use Champion plugs in is OPE that calls for it, never again in a vehicle I own.

Before you buy other than OE plugs for a Yota, find out what the originals were. Replacement plugs may have a different configuration and can result in poor running even compared to worn plugs that put the spark in the right place.

Thanks for all incites!

Going to bring out the plugs tomorrow and see if i can figure out what they are and replace them with same type.

Stay Dirty!

I have always used OEM plugs (AC-Delco iridiums for my cars) but I don't know much about the champions. I know Dodge people swear by the Champion coppers. My advise is go OEM for your replacement. It made it that far, why change it up?

Familiarity breeds contempt. I won't even use Champions in my OPE. If by some stroke of luck/misfortune they were OEM specced, I would bite the bullet and use what was recommended.

To be fair, their techs were alwaysd really nice/helpful at the track back in the old days.

I'm not trying to convince you that Champion spark plugs are bad, just that it's pretty easy to end up with a spark plug that's very different from what the engine came with. Different doesn't mean they won't work, but sometimes it does cause problems.

Does Champion even make anything like a FK20HBR11 or K16TR11 spark plug?

Of course, if your car came with something like the FK....... it would be kind of silly to change them out before 200k miles.

If its just a dumper they are fine, even the regapped old ones will do in this case.

If your going to keep it a while the Denso TT as someone posted are cheap enough and work well, nothing wrong with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back