Fein multimaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I saw one of these oscillator tools in use on this old house last night. Seems handy. Anyone have this one or an alternate? Not sure if there is a us made version, this one is German-made.

Thanks!

I have the Sonicrafter version of that. Extremely handy for doing square and end-cutting with precision, or in small spaces. Obviously it isn't for mass material removal, but in the applications just mentioned, it is irreplaceable. I have used the heck out of mine, to no ill effect.

Look into blade availability and cost, particular from non-Fein sources, although I think it is as good or better for Fein than most.

I bought a Mastercraft, Canadian tire version. Used it a few times, like cutting door old trim back to accept a new laminate floor and generally doing stopped cuts that would otherwise require a chisel.
The detail sander is also useful.

Cutting blade life seem very limited, and they tend to be quite expensive to replace.

As a tradesman I have one. It's limited uses means it rarely comes out of the van. It's nice for cutting door jambs to allow for hardwood to slide underneath however my 20 dollar Japanese pull saw works just as well.

My friend has the Fein MM. A solid well made well performing tool.

But replacement cutting tools are ridiculously expensive.

I spent 40 dollars on the Harbor fright version, and have used it a great deal, and replacement blades, while still expensive, are a fraction of Fein or others.

The other day I was helping my friend with a project where the Fein was needed, but all his blades were worthlessly dull. I sacrificed a 4 dollar plunge cutter on my HF model and got the job done.

Cutting tool/blade prices are dropping rapidly.

I bought the Porter Cable version, and fried both of the batteries in 3 days of hard use (installing wood floors) Nice tool, reasonable price and were I looking for a corded version, I would get the PC.

So, I returned the PC...bought an 18V Li Makita. Great tool, lots of power, good batteries, but frankly, heavy.

This kind of tool is incredibly useful...my uses have included cutting individual boards out of old wood floor (to feather in new), flush cutting trim, plunge cutting holes in plywood and floors, and plunge cutting long lengths of subfloor...

Your call on corded vs. cordless, I would get the Makita for cordless, but the PC was a thoughtfully made, reasonably priced tool undone by poor batteries and I would chose it in a corded version.

I've got the Milwaukee M12 version and love it. Came in very handy for our basement remodel courtesy of a sewer backup.

Put the scraper on to remove the drywall adhesive the previous people used to hang the drywall.

Used the half moon cutting blade and a scrap of drywall to trim it all 1/2 off the floor.

Used the plunge cut tool to cut some drywall for old construction speaker and cable/Network wiring "boxes".

It worked well but would blow through batteries in around 15 minutes if you would really work it hard. Luckily I had 2 and would swap as needed.

Highly recommend it and the M12 line.

Their an awesome tool when you need it but it's uses are limited. I think you are going to either buy a Fein or buy something made in China, I don't think they are made anywhere else.

The fein is nice, but blades are very expensive. I bought the dremel version which was good for me when I was installing bamboo floors. You need to look at blade costs for the tool as well. When I used the dremel to cut baseboards, I had the tool on for over 90 mins and it kept on going without a hitch.

The cordless ones look nice, but I don't know how long the batteries hold up.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Their an awesome tool when you need it but it's uses are limited. I think you are going to either buy a Fein or buy something made in China, I don't think they are made anywhere else.

I'm fairly convinced that I want one, so fein it is if that's the only first world option.

On the Rockwell website they sell an adapter making the Sonic Crafter universal blade fitment.

I have the Ridgid version but have never used the cutting feature. The Ridgid models can accept other heads for right angle drilling and a rachet that works like a low power air ratchet. I use these features most often.

I have both a cordless and corded version (caught them on a good sale both times).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back