mach 1 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bodystyle imo was built SO much better than the new ones (having driven both) and they have a good manual tranny,as where the new 6 speeds are junk. I drove a brand new Boss 302 6 speed today and it crunched the 1-2 gear shift just like every other one I`ve driven. The Tremec T5 is a superior tranny.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This bodystyle imo was built SO much better than the new ones (having driven both) and they have a good manual tranny,as where the new 6 speeds are junk. I drove a brand new Boss 302 6 speed today and it crunched the 1-2 gear shift just like every other one I`ve driven. The Tremec T5 is a superior tranny.

The T5 was weak. The T56 on the other hand was incredible.

The S197 cars are better cars. Better built, stronger, more rigid body and better handling. The New Edge cars you reference still had underpinnings that date right back to the original fox body.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I'd guess timing chains. Common on the Mustangs. How many miles are on it?

I'd have to hear the noise, the typical "head tick" is valve guide related. But a random tick could be a bad chain guide, primary chain tensioner(s), or a lazy lash adjuster.

If you can hear the tick better from the wheel well than from the engine bay, it's most likely EXH valve guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back