painting bathroom/kitchen cabinets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bathroom cabinets, which are wood stained with clearcoat, are 20+ years old and showing their age. The humidity of the bathroom really wears down the finish. I'd like to paint them.

Do I need to do sand away the clearcoat, or can I just prime & paint? What paint is recommended for this, latex or oil? And how do you avoid brush strokes?

Lowe's sells a Rustoleum product kit that makes easy work of refinishing your cabinets. The feed back I've gotten is it really works and is effective and easy to use. It's a complete kit that contains all the main components needed to complete the job. It even comes with a DVD to show you how to do it.

Whimsey

Just scuff up the finish a bit and use a degreaser on it (I used denatured alcohol). Then use a good primer for glossy surfaces (BIN is what I recommend) and paint.

It depends-do you really want to do it right?

If you want to do it right, then start by cleaning them with TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). Especially if they are kitchen cabinets that have been subjected to a few years of cooking grease/smoke and finger prints, give them two cleaning passes with TSP. Once they dry from the TSP sand them with 100 grit sandpaper.

Remove the doors from the cabinets and remove all the hardware. Make a rack so you can lay the doors flat so the finish coats will be as smooth as possible. The carcass can be left on the wall, but make sure you mask it tightly so paint doesn't bleed over to the wall.

The primer you use will make or break the finish. To get a smooth, quality surface, you need to use a high build sandable primer. The primer will fill the wood and even out the surface. It's important that it be sandable so you can smooth the surface before painting on the finish coat. Don't hesitate to put on a couple coats of primer. If you don't use a high build primer, you will see the grain through the finish.

The finish paint should be 100% acrylic, however check with your paint supplier and see what they recommend. Take your time and use a combination of brush and roller depending on the door style. Brushing will let you get into the nooks and crannies, and a roller will produce a smoother finish. If possible, consider having the doors and drawers sprayed-spraying will produce a much smoother finish than brushing and rolling and isn't all that expensive.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Lowe's sells a Rustoleum product kit that makes easy work of refinishing your cabinets. The feed back I've gotten is it really works and is effective and easy to use. It's a complete kit that contains all the main components needed to complete the job. It even comes with a DVD to show you how to do it.

Whimsey

spray or brush?

Whimsey

I want to try this out on my kitchen cabinets
thumbsup2.gif

http://rustoleumtransformations.com/

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Whimsey

spray or brush?

I believe it's roller applied and brush for nooks. there are special nap/size rollers for cabinets available at Lowe's, I've seen them.

I know of someone who used milk paint on their cabinets, it worked out well for them.

For me, I would wash and degrease/degloss, prime with a good primer and use a good latex or alkyd enamel. I happen to like Glidden Gripper for primer. As for the paint itself, I used most of them but I tend to shy away from Behr.

My wife used a citrus stripper, stripped the cabinets bare, then used a white pickling stain so they werent given a heavy coat. They came out well.

Repair, smooth, sand, then prime and paint. Probably 2 coats of paint.
Some brush strokes are inevitable. It is part of the character of this type of application - nothing wrong with it.
But there is a world of difference from an amateur and a pro's final result!

Masking and taping off the room will allow spraying.

I like water based products. The old timer's love Satin Impervo, but it yellows with age, and cracks at joints.
It flow on well , but is thin.

Allow me to share my recent kitchen renovation with you all.
I vigorously prepped the cabinets prior to using an Olympic Matte finish paint.
These are the before and after shots.

005-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

The girlfriend hates the black. Thats why shes only the girlfriend and not the wife.
Sorry the pics arent too clear. The lighting was tought to work with. I pretty much took apart all the cabinets and sanded, and cleaned, sanded again and painted. Then added more coats as needed. I basically did the entire kitchen floor to ceiling on my own. Took about a month. So far so good on the paint. Holding up extremely well and easy to clean.

Last edited:
DO take the time to do the job right. Take that from someone that didn't know any better. I know as much about painting as I do becoming a Monk....nothing. Did clean cabinets, didn't know about primer, used water based paint over lacquer. Looked nice until it started peeling off, what a mess! Do it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back