New rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grabbed an AMD65 on election night for obvious reasons. AKs were called out specifically by the administration. I think I am going to throw on a poly buffer and the AMD65net stock mod, stock up on some 20 round mags and a case of 7.62x39 and make it my truck gun. Any thoughts? I had a romanian AK years ago, nice gun. The AMD has a little different task and purpose though....kind of a SHTF/truck gun as opposed to deer hunting with the Romy. I have a can of Brownells green bake on, so thats an option. I want to keep it simple, but functional.

Thats a tough one my man. I think price is a pretty good guide with these things. There are as many AK variants and builders out there as there are folks that are importing parts kits. That being said, the Waffen Werks AK74s look really nice on AIM Surplus for $650ish. I went $477 shipped on the AMD from Buds Gun Shop. I think you need to decide what style you want and work from there. I wanted a folder, and found a cheap stock mod to fix my big objection with most folding AKs (no cheek weld). I don't care about optics or mall ninja accessories either, so the AMD will do what I want it to do. I don't mind small tweaks to guns, but if you need to put a few hundred in something you probably should have bought a different gun to start with. You can put A LOT of money in an AK if you don't plan ahead. I spent about $300 swapping stock sets, grips, etc on my Romy just cause I was 24 years old and dumb. Get as close as you can out of the box, read peer reviews and work from there.

Learn WAY too much before you put down real money. Better to have a quality weapon from the start than spend that much again just to make it acceptable.

I just looked at the Cheaper than Dirt site and all of their 7.62 AKs are out of stock. Looks like the rush is on.

Is it a self-fulfilling prophesy or circular logic? I've gotta get a gun because [by some magical means] "they" are gonna take ALL of them away, so lots of people run out and buy guns...then [wonder of wonders] there aren't any guns to buy! So, did "they" take 'em all or did people create the shortage themselves?

Not to get political, but the current administration promised gun control and specifically addressed AK47s. I take him at his word that I might not be able to buy one soon. Not worried about them being taken away.

I remember when the BATF "reinterpreted" certain laws and all of a sudden you could not get barrels with your parts kits. It wont require an act of congress to limit what you can buy. This president also showed he is very willing to use his executive order powers when he implemented parts of the so called "dream act". Now we have to see if the suit filed shoots that down, cause afterall when he did do that he effectively overrode laws passed by congress and signed into law by a previous administration. So while you will probably see domestic arms left alone...atleast at first....watch the import sector of the market.

I decided to go for an AR platform chambered in 7.62x39. An Olympic arms K30, picked it up today, can't wait to go try it out.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure x39 works with 5.56 magazines, so that is a good choice if you want to get an upper for both and not need separate magazines.

It uses a curved mag for the 7.62 fits like a regular ar mag. I plan to get another upper in 5.56 ( After the wife gets over me buying this!)

Last edited:
Oh, sorry about that I either had some bad info or was thinking of something else, like .300 blackout.

This is what I just found.

Info from Boomer:

Magazine have always been the Achilles heel of the 7.62x39 AR-15.

Pretty much any USGI 5.56 magazine will work reliability with 5-6 rounds of 7.62x39. After that, the cartridges begin to bind up and jam.

Colt first used regular USGI 20 round magazines with internal blocks to limit capacity to 5 rounds of 7.62x39. These internal blocks were easily removed after which the magazine would function just like any other USGI 20 round magazine. After the ban they switched to a cut down USGI style magazine feed tower with a unique composite base to prevent them from being converted back into 20 round magazines in violation of the AW ban at the time.

I have never really been impressed by parts kits AK's. You never know what your getting, and some can be pretty much worn out old communist junk.

Spend the money, get an Arsenal, or maybe a Krebs.

http://www.krebscustom.com/

Good AK's are great, but 30 year old parts kits that have been pimped all over the world, and assembled by an idiot don't add up to a good rifle.

Also I prefer the more modern 5.45 caliber series rifles. The smaller round is nice and light, and snappy. Its what the Russians currently use. Only guys still shooting the old 7.62 round are those without enough money to buy better guns. The AK 100 series are where its at.

Last edited:
Well the AMD is a pretty gun, I was pleasently surprised. The only parts with wear were the rear sight and the rear trunion. The bolt, carrier and bore looked pristine. The front sight is WAY off...need a tool to fix that. The trigger is excellent (TAPCO), way better than the old Romanian AK I had in the early 2000s. IMO AKs are kind of junk by design, you can only polish a turd so much. I will never spend almost a grand or more on an AK...I could just do an M1A, DSA FN, or an AR10 and make it worth the money.

The AK is a truck gun. I wanted one to keep in the truck in case I have to bring big pain on something, a folder so it fits better, and tough enough to take being banged around in the truck with a minimum of maintenance. I have quite a few excellent guns, Bushmaster AR, Remington 700 tactical, etc. I just choose to spend the bigger money (and I have enough thank you very much) on higher quality weapons that are designed to be high quality weapons, unlike the AK. I believe I have confirmed the existance of a critter I didn't know existed....an AK snob.

FYI- IMO DPMS SASS is where its at.

Originally Posted By: 95busa

The AK is a truck gun. I wanted one to keep in the truck in case I have to bring big pain on something, a folder so it fits better, and tough enough to take being banged around in the truck with a minimum of maintenance.

FYI- IMO DPMS SASS is where its at.

That sounds exactly like what an ak is designed for, operation in less than clean conditions. Perfect choice for what you want it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back