Shopping for new 5.56 ar15 upper

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVB

I am looking at mid lengths from DD, Noveske and BCM, but PSA's look to be a good value also. Right now I am leaning toward a BCM with their hammer forged barrel. Now I am trying to decide between a 14.5 or 16" barrel, I considered a 18" also but didn't want stainless. I also think I want a fixed front sight.

I currently have a 16", 1 in 9" twist HBAR carbine length with fixed carry handle.

Any opinions or suggestions?

I think a 16" Mid-length BCM Hammer Forged w/ fixed front sight is what I am going to go with. Though Ive never actually touched one so I dont know what they are actually like.

Well the Noveske I was looking at is out of stock any where that list a decent price. I don't really need another bcg, I have two now. I don't care for quad rails either, so the $300 savings for the BCM could be put toward a quality optic or a 6.8 upper.

I prefer the HBAR style. The picatinny upper is nice but the traditional grab handle is okay with me too.

I decided to go ahead and order the 16" BCM BFH mid length upper, magpul moe handguard, and BCM gunfighter mod4 charging handle. It was $611 shipped, I have wanted one for a while now so I figured since it was back in stock I might as well get it.

I have a Addax Tactical branded Young Manufacturing Chrome M16 bcg, and a Superior Arms S-15 lower I will use to complete it.

Now more decisions as I look for an optic. I would like an ACOG, but think I am going to hold off on that for now. I like the recticle on the Leatherwood CMR series optics.

AVB:

Im looking at fully assembled and headspaced target uppers. There is so much out there, it's hard to make a decision. I have been thinking out one of these Precision Firearms uppers using a Lilja barrell:

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/30.html

Keep us informed on what optic you get, Im looking for one for a CAR. The ACOG would be great, but $1K is too much for that CAR. Im thinking an original Colt 4X if I can find one easy. Optics Planet has lots of cheap knock offs, but I wont do that.

I have some new stripped RRA lowers if you need one.

Those are some nice looking uppers. Thanks for the offer on the lower, I spent the afternoon talking with the owner of a gun store about 30 miles from here. He said if I decide to buy a lower he would do the transfer for me.

My order is being shipped, so at least I got my order in on time. The upper I ordered along with several others were out of stock today.

I am thinking I may get a EoTech for now and get a magnifier later. I definately want some magnification on this one, but not all of the time. I may attend a few matches at my local range where the red dot would be beneficial.

I can consistantly hit standard silhouettes at 300 yards with iron sights, but the hits are all over the place. I think just a red dot alone would be about the same. A 1 MOA dot may help though, it seems like the front sight post covers the whole target at 300. We have a gong at 430 yards, but I can't even see it without magnification.

Good for you on getting an upper before they are sold out. They are going quick since the election.

I called the guys at Precision Rifles after I posted and ended up ordering a complete match AR.

Now instead of a low mag aiming optic for the CAR Im going to have to pony up the bucks for a higher end target scope. Something 6X20X50 range with a 30mm tube. Lots of options, all expensive.

As for your optic, it's a hard call what to do. I have had so many poor optics in the past, I will never do it again. However, you could go super cheap/temporary and get a $50 cheapo from Optics Planet or similar. Hard call.

The saying is: "I'd rather have a $1000 scope on a $100 rifle than a $1000 rifle with a $100 scope".

I have decided to get a EoTech 517. I didn't really want a battery powered sight, but the Trijicon reflex sights had bigger dots than I wanted. I think the smallest Trijicon is 4.5 MOA, which would cover what? Almost 14" of a target at 300 yards, I think. That would be fine on an Ak, but I would like to be able to aim at something smaller with an AR.

It's here! Bravo Co sent me a few extras, 5 posters, 5 stickers, 2 iron ons, a hat, and two dvds. I hope to be able to go to the range tomorrow and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back