2004 mach 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
any recommendation of an additive for this vehicle? it has 120,000 miles and has developed a "hot idle" ticking/tapping noise. it is quiet when cold and it is quiet once hot and reved above idle, but the noise returns a few seconds after its back to idle.
i have went from 5w20 - 10w30 and am using motorcraft filters.
the Lucas oil rep recommended 5w20 and a quart of the LOS.

No additives! I noticed the EDGE with TI 0w20 is a quiet oil, but a bit thick for my honda. Note that water pumps, belt tensioners and chain tensioners can tick.

Is the ticking coming form the back of the drivers side head? If so there is no additive that will fix that, you have work valve guides from getting too hot. Only real fix is a new head, ford has updated that number for the head a bunch of times. You can install the cooling mod that knocks out the rear core plug on the head and taps a heater line.

Look up "the tick" on SVTPerformance. It usually applies to 03-04 Terminator Cobras, but the Mach 1s, Aviators, and Marauders use the same part number cylinder heads.

I read up about the tick. This is the passenger side which still may not negate a possible bad valve guide. wonder how long a car can go like that ? there is definately no cash for a repair at the moment. what is the causing the sound? the valve stem tapping the side of the guide ?

Put some Kreen in it. If its something sticking this stuff will free it up in short order. If the noise remains then you know you have a mechanical issue.

I would definitely try this before i started tearing into it.
16oz in with the 10w30 you have in there will be good and run it for 1K.

^^^Good advice. Who's to say this isn't carbon knock? What about a spec of crud in a follower? Even a valve guide can get sludged up.

Kreen will eliminate the chance that this is just crud, and it may also help the engine in many other ways as well.

This may sound silly, but check your spark plugs. The 4.6 modulars are known for them coming loose (only 4 or 5 threads hold them in) if they aren't torqued properly and the motor will blow them out, stripping the threads in the process. Tons of info on this online. Loose plugs in that engine tick, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, sometimes they seat themselves briefly and the ticking stops for a while, but it's a warning sign to check.

I learned this the hard way. I have an 03 GT, and was experiencing a ticking for a while at various speeds and at idle. Couldn't seem to find where it was coming from at first when it was quieter. One morning driving to work the #7 plug blew out. Bottom line, loose plugs will make a ticking sound, looser = louder usually. Make sure they are all torqued to factory spec (I think 14 lb/ft).

Originally Posted By: Trav
Put some Kreen in it. If its something sticking this stuff will free it up in short order. If the noise remains then you know you have a mechanical issue.

I would definitely try this before i started tearing into it.
16oz in with the 10w30 you have in there will be good and run it for 1K.

Bingo... I had a 2003 Mach 1 and it ran very smooth with Mobil 1. I did use Redline SL-1 fuel cleaner in it every 1K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back