Anyone changed ATF on a 2010/2011 4cyl auto Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow forum members,

I just purchased a used 2010 Camry LE 4cylinder with automatic transmission. This is my third Camry, but bear in mind my first Camry was a 1991, and the second was a 1998, so a lot has changed since then.

I want to perform a drain/refill of the tranny fluid. I am well-aware of the "sealed" transmission and WS requirements, and in fact, have already done this procedure a couple of times on my 2006 Tundra. Despite this experience, this 2010 Camry has raised a couple of questions.

1) My earlier two Camrys had separate differential and transmission compartments that had to be drained and refilled separately. It appears this new one has changed to a single compartment for both the transmission and differential, so that one drain/refill takes care of both the transmission and differential - Can someone confirm this is correct?

2) My 2006 Tundra has a drain plug, and a separate "check" plug/tube for determining the proper fluid level. BUT this 2010 Camry only has a single plug on the transmission pan. The manual I downloaded from the Toyota techinfo site seems to indicate this plug has the "check" tube for determining the proper fluid level, but it isn't clear if the plug can be completely removed to drain the fluid. The manual isn't clear. Has anyone out there actually done this on their 2010/2011 4-cylinder Camry that can describe how it works?

3) For those that have drained/refilled their fluid on the 2010 4cylinder Camry, can you get to the fill plug without removing the driver's side front tire, or does the tire have to be removed?

Thanks for any help!

Question #1--From what my mechanic has told me; this would mean it's a shared differential, sharing the fluid with the trans.

I have not attempted this procedure YET. My bro has a 2010 2.5L camry SE, and it's coming time to do a change. Please let me know what you find out.

I assume the fill plug is on the drivers side?
After looking this car over; i beleive the drain and fill is going to be a PITA. Much harder than our tundra's.

I have the car, but not the solution. I would love to know. I have searched for hours on the internet for the procedure to no avail. I have 36,000 on the car and would like to do a drain and fill but i dont want to mess anything up. The little I have found scares me off saying that the trans has to be at a certain temp and only certified techs can do it.

3Toyotas and wjli - Thanks for your responses...My response:

3Toyotas - I think I have you beat :) I have three Toyotas and a Lexus! Does that count as 4 Toyotas :)

I heard from someone that has performed this procedure on their Camry. He tells me that the transmission fill plug is more easily accessed if you remove the driver's side front tire, as I had feared. He said there is a "splash guard/flap" that you need to bend a bit to get to the fill plug. Based on his comments, it doesn't sound that hard, just a real pain.

wjli -
It took me awhile to get the "courage" up to change the fluid on my 2006 Tundra, which has no dipstick. Although temperature clearly has an effect on the fluid level, I really don't think it's *that* critical. Do your best to get the fluid at the approximate temperature as indicated in the manual, and go for it. I really don't think a few degrees one way or another is going to cause any harm. But you will have to come to this conclusion yourself. I am glad I did it.

just thinking here.... trans fluid expands when hot right? so, if it is cold then it is at its lowest level. if the camry is allowed to sit a full day then the fluid should be "cold" and at its lowest level. at the same time, the quarts of new replacement fluid would be around the same "cold" temp as well. couldnt we just drain it then,while cold, measure the amount that comes out, then add the same amount of new fluid ?

is this idea flawed ?

wjli,

I think what you suggest should work, but I think the best method is to use the "overflow" tube in the transmission pan...While the engine is idling, you add fluid until it starts trickling out the overflow tube...This supposedly gives the most accurate level.

it would be graet to have a diagram of this transmission/transaxle so i can know which is the fill plug/ overflow tube etc..

anyone know where to find that?

My Avalon is as described here. The fill plug is on the driver's side behind a plastic cover. The drain plug has to be removed with an allen wrench, then the plastic overfill tube has to be removed with the same size allen wrench. It is a messy ordeal as the fluid wants to drain through the overflow tube while you are backing it out. A total of 2 quarts comes out. I just measured it and replaced with new.

Last edited:
man its been awhile .
thanks for the reponses.
the avalon has a v6 doesnt it ? if it does, i wonder if the transaxle's are the same/similar. i would think a v6 has a little tougher transaxle becuse it is making quite a bit more power than the 4....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back